Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who went to Mexico...Anyone do it ALONE?

Just curious, because I am going by myself to Mexico. (My flight from Houston to Monterrey is going to be almost $450.) How was your experience and do you have any tips for me?

I had my daughter with me, but we came from different parts of the country, so I flew there and home alone. (Surgery in Tijuana, we met at the San Diego airport). It was GREAT having her there for support, but I could have done it alone, without a problem. But I was one of the few who had NO PAIN, NO TROUBLE and NO WORRIES. I was on the plane home within about 24 hours of my surgery. I COULD have stayed longer as part of my self pay package, but I felt FANTASTIC and just wanted to get home! I had to take 2 flights (a total of 6 hours in the air), and a 2 hour car ride to get home and I felt just great the entire trip! Good luck to you, you can do it. And I'm sure you will meet lots of others there for the same surgery and can "adopt" someone elses support person if needed.

Do you have a Dr. who will do your fills where you live. I know where I had surgery, if you didn't have your surgery with them they charge somewhere near 200-300.00 a fill. I pay 50.00 a fill. You may want to look at all that. I know it is cheaper in Mexico but sometimes you don't think of all the other stuff. This is just my thoughts. I wish you all the luck.

I do have a doctor lined up to do my fills...She charges $130 for fills...which is better than most that I have read, but not as good as yours...thanks for the advice...any and all advice is welcome!

If you don't mine me asking how much is the surgery there.?

A lot of my doctor's patients go alone. He has his own website and forum, and it's easy for patients to correspond and chat with other patients that are going to be there at the same time and make arrangements to meet each other at the clinic.

I am paying $7500 for my surgery...it is a special rate that Dr. Rodriguez is offering for April and May. Usually is $7900. My airfare from Houston is going to be $450.

Good luck with your surgery. I have my fills done by a doc contracted with Fill Centers USA. He is 5 1/2 hours away, so I get the fill in the afternoon, do a little shopping and go check into a motel for the night. I don't want to be all the way home and wake up to discover I am too tight and have to drive back for an unfill! I knew from the beginning that there were no docs in this area that will do fills on you if you didn't have surgery with them. So I was prepared for this. I CAN still go to Dr. Ortiz for fills, and will at around my 1 year anniversary. And with the price of gas and hotel, it would probably cost me the same to fly to MX for my fills! The plane ride would be shorter than the car ride I now take!

I went alone to Dr. Zapata in Monterrey. It was great. They meet your plane and when I got to the hotel there were other people there from the states. They were there for the same doctor and i made friends with them. I had no problems at all . People take care of you every step of the way. Donna Good luck.

I went alone and everything worked out perfectly. I've had numerous GYN surgeries and know that I perfer rest and relaxation by myself after my surgeries. Also Dr. Rumbaut's staff really reassured me that everything was taking care of and it really was!

I met another woman who had surgery the same day who was also alone and we checked on each other. It's been almost two years and we still communicate - she is my banded sister.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!!!