Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my first PB. Now what?

This afternoon I was eating a meal of roast beef, cooked carrots, a slice of potato and broccoli. A few times while I was eating it felt like it was on the verge of getting stuck. I tried to chew well and kept going. At the end of the meal I felt the stuck feeling coming again and it just got worse and worse. Against all the advice I have read here, I tried sipping some Water to help it down. It made the pain 10x worse. Then the sliming started. But that word is much grosser than the actual event. It was just saliva, my mouth began to water. I headed to the kitchen to get some pineapple juice. Before that could happen, I threw up. I always thought a PB was something different, but this was just like regular vomiting. Most, if not all of the meal came back up.

I had immediate relief from the pain. I feel bad that my choice to continue eating led to this. I have had one fill and haven't had problems eating anything, including many foods that are reported to make trouble. I have occasionally felt a tightness as the food is going down, but it has always gone down before. I'm not sure if this happened because I ate too much, or ate too fast.

At any rate, I remember reading here that most people go onto a liquid diet for a little while after pbing. Is that direction from your surgeon? My surgeon hasn't mentioned this to me at all, so I'm just trying to figure it out. Do you go on Clear liquids, or is full liquid or pureed food okay? Any input is appreciated.

That is what I have heard, 24 hrs of liquids after a barfing episode (or PB or whatever). I think full liquids is fine, the idea is just to let your stomach rest so it doesn't get swollen. The swelling can cause you to have more PB episodes and set off a bit of a vicious cycle. You don't want that!

I'm sorry you had to experience that. The band teaches us whether we like it or not. Good luck and hopefully it doesn't happen again!

It isn't a hard and fast rule, it just seems that after a PB episode everything can get stuck for a while. I try to be really careful and eat softer foods for the rest of the day and I'm usually fine by the next day. You need to be careful not to get in the PB cycle because you can end up irritating your stomach from the constant abuse and end up having long term problems. Occasional PBs are not going to hurt you, just don't allow it to be a daily occurance. Switching to liquids or soft foods helps do that.

Hey there....Well you're no longer a pb virgin. :thumbup:

Dont beat yourself up over it, I once pb'd on a cap full of liquid Vitamins. It was early in the morning and I had the bottle in the fridge and It was too cold, i guess.

After I pb'd that time, I didnt go on a liquid diet...but in the past, ive pb'd on some chicken and went on a liquid diet for the remainder of the day and felt better. My esophogus was actually sore that time..

Good luck to ya!

I suggest doing a MINIMUM of 24 hours of liquids (at least a full 24 hours from the pb incident -- not just the same day). No disrespect to anyone else, but I think for your first pb, you need to be careful and not make things worse. You'll get to know what you can and cannot handle after a pb if you have more of them.

After the 24 hours, I would do a full day of mushies and then back on solid foods. I know it sounds like a pain in the neck, but it isn't that bad. And why take any chances?

Good luck!