Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worst dieting experience EVER...

It sounds as if they forgot to give you the second page of that diet!

Seriously, it doesn't sound healthy.

I personally know a DOC who was on some weird diet. We hadn't seen him in about two months and WOW had he lost some weight. He reported around 70 lbs in 12 weeks.

I told him that I was investigating the band and asked him what he was doing.

The Sadkhin Complex®

This is his plan. You tape balls to your ears and then eat fruit and veggies alternating with whole milk. THATS IT! No freakin wonder why a person would lose weight.

Now he is a physician but I guess we have all reached that "I have to do something drastic" phase. I know I have.

He did this for 12 weeks and says he does eat normally now. We see him once or twice a month usually....I'm sure when he goes back to eating normally it will all come back...like it always does.

PLEASE ask you Doc how he/she feels about this drastic food restriction.

OK, here's the scoop you all have been waiting for:

I went to the nutritionist today and definitely passed the ketosis test, and I lost 13 lbs this week alone. When I questioned the purpose of a diet this drastic (not to mention horrific, insane, etc - feel free to add your own adjectives please), I was told it's how they weed out those who can comply with those who cannot. It's simply based on ketosis. Hell, I could have literally eaten half a cow and been in ketosis. I still don't understand why I had to starve all week.

I asked her whether the food restrictions pre-op and post-op would be so severe. She said no. The pre-op diet is 7 days on a 1000 cal diet. I know I can handle that. The post-op diet is the usual liquids, progressing to full liquids, to mushies, and finally to real food. She said that the diet I was on this past week would be the worst of it.

I also saw the therapist who did the psych eval. He said I passed. The next step now is to submit it all to the insurance (Empire BCBS) and wait for approval. The only other requirement is attendance at a class that the nutritionist and therapist give regarding what to expect before, during and after surgery. It's getting closer. This doesn't feel like it's miles away anymore.

Oh, and I immediately went and got a vanilla shake when I left the therapist, and then had dinner tonight with my Mom at TGI Fridays. hehe

You know, I thought I'd be so thrilled to get that first bite of food, but it wasn't anything special. That surprised me!

Anyway, that's the update. No more starvation for me. I'd rather be fat the rest of my life than live through last week again.

Thanks everyone for all the support. You all are incredibly awesome!!!

-Theresa

Wow... i'm glad that it is over with for u... so it seems like everything from this point will be a breeze.... did u grab him or her by the shirt collar... and hem them up in the corner....lol...

Wow... i'm glad that it is over with for u... so it seems like everything from this point will be a breeze.... did u grab him or her by the shirt collar... and hem them up in the corner....lol...

Wow, you're brilliant. I'm gonna save that for the next person who decides to torture me for 5 days! hehe

Edited by celticdreamer

That annoys me SO much. I mean, I couldnt stick to a diet like that in a month of Sundays, and I've lost 115% of my excess weight!

To be perfectly frank, I'd tell any surgeon who treats people like that to stuff his lap band up his bum. We are not there to be humiliated, disciplined or tested and whether or not you can stick to a completely ridiculous diet that neither the surgeon or the nutritionist could probably do themselves is completely irrelevant and not at all predictive about how successful you'll be with a band. That's just cruelty!

Hi again everyone!

You all are so darned supportive. I am very very happy that I found this site.

No, I don't have a surgery date set yet. I am still a bit nervous about insurance approval. I used to work for Cigna but left there because I heard bad things about them regarding weight loss surgery. I now have Empire BCBS and I'm reading good things about them, so hopefully it'll all work out. My BMI is 49, or at least was until I went on this diet on Monday. I'm sure it's lower now!

Well, I'm off to get ready to go to my nutritionist. This ought to be an interesting visit.

Will definitely post when I get home!

-Theresa

Theresa-

If you have EBCBS you've got to be in NY.... Where are ya, Girlie? I'm in Northern NJ

-m

We are not there to be humiliated, disciplined or tested and whether or not you can stick to a completely ridiculous diet that neither the surgeon or the nutritionist could probably do themselves is completely irrelevant and not at all predictive about how successful you'll be with a band. That's just cruelty!

Something tells me that it has much more to do with the insurance requirements than it does the doctor or nutritionist! You wouldn't believe how screwed up our insurance/health care is here, Jacqui!

Celtic, I'm just glad that it's all over for you now....and you can re-join the living! Cool about the weight loss...but don't be discouraged when 5-8# of it comes back...and it will!! Ketosis has a diuretic affect on your body and when you add back the carbs the Water will come back too. This is not to say that you didn't lose any fat...I'm sure you did!...but probably not 13# worth.

Theresa-

If you have EBCBS you've got to be in NY.... Where are ya, Girlie? I'm in Northern NJ

-m

Actually, I'm in Connecticut. My company has offices everywhere, including NYC. :thumbup:

Wow celticdreamer...you have been through it with THE TEST!!! I'm glad you made it...I've done Atkins etc... but that was insane...as everyone so politely pointed out...The biggest part was the fact they were messing with your head...I find it infantile of them...

Good Luck with your approval...at least the worst is over

My biggest problem with that whole scenario is that people who are diabetic have to be extremely careful with ketosis, because the exact same "ketosis" test also tests ketoacidosis, which is very dangerous, and the test doesn't differentiate between the two.

Fine, test someone's ability to comply with something, but that was way over the top.

As much as I hate what I had to go through last week, I have to say that the dietitian did ask me if I were diabetic before giving me the diet.

Honestly, I felt really bad all week and I'm still not back to myself. Yes, I lost 13 lbs but at what cost? I was dizzy after walking up two flights of stairs yesterday (totally not normal for me) and it's only a little better today. I think my body is rebelling.

LOL, I'd be rebelling, too. I am glad that they at least asked you if you're diabetic before putting you on that diet, but it still scares me a little. If you would have asked me a month before my surgery if I was diabetic, I'd have said no. I had no idea until I had my labs done for my pre-op testing that I was. And I wasn't dancing around borderline, either, it was WAY beyond that.

Anyway, now you are playing the waiting game for your insurance, then?

Yep, now I get to play the insurance waiting game. I have at least one significant co-morbidity and that's sleep apnea. Granted, it's mild, but at least I have already been diagnosed with it and have a cpap. I think this will work in my favor.

I don't know how long it'll take to get insurance approval, but I heard that Empire BCBS is generally pretty quick.

As much as I hate what I had to go through last week, I have to say that the dietitian did ask me if I were diabetic before giving me the diet.

Honestly, I felt really bad all week and I'm still not back to myself. Yes, I lost 13 lbs but at what cost? I was dizzy after walking up two flights of stairs yesterday (totally not normal for me) and it's only a little better today. I think my body is rebelling.

You feel weird because of your body going into ketosis for energy... if you'd have stayed on a low-carb diet you'd be fine after a few days.