Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so I am scheduled for April 7th and just filled out the final approval paperwork where it lists 10 pages of potential complications. It kinda freaked me out... In the end how do you know this is the right thing to do? I am 5'6" and 300lb its logical to take this step but still freaked by surgery...

You really just have to feel it's right for you. There's not a list that any of us can give you where if half + is checked, it means it's the right decision for YOU. All we can do indivudally is know if something is right for US. I think "gut" is a good thing to trust in this case.

Hi Beastbron

I too am scared, but If we had our doctors give us a report on the dangers of living another day at our size I am sure they could print out a ten page report on the compications from that. I think it may even be more scary to try nothing. I am going in for my surgery on April 3rd and getting more scared by the day, But I know I have to do this. I know it's going to be the best thing I ever did for myself.

Good luck!:)

You don't, I guess. It's a leap of faith.

There are possible complications, but despite what it may seem by reading the Complications board, it does go just fine for most people. Imagine yourself 100 lbs thinner next spring. Wouldn't that be nice?

If it's any consolation, most people go through a 'cold feet' stage right before surgery. A lot of people go through a "what the heck have I done to myself" stage shortly afterwards, too. You can get through it. :smile:

Hi Beastbron--- I do understand your concerns. It is scary when you think about having surgery and placing a foreign object in your body. But, we are living in a fantastic time in our human progression through life and one of the benefits is having unimagined cures/tools and knowledgeable doctors for our physical problems. Also, there are so many that have had no problems compared to the very very small that have... I believe it's worth it. Say a prayer for peace of mind and I have no doubt you will have a calmness of spirit. You deserve this good thing for you--- just keep taking each day forward and before you know it, the day after will be here. Good Luck!

Beastbron, I am scared too but I am more scared of living with this excess weight I carry that is the root of my diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. This is a tool we are being given that will enable us to be a lot healthier and for me, happier. As mentioned before, YOU deserve this for yourself. We will all be here for you. I can't wait to start my journey to being healthier. I am excited about the chance I will be given to live my life as I have always wanted. Hang in there and lots of hugs to ya. :smile:

I too am scared and have had second thoughts. I am a self pay and I keep thinking what I could do with the money if I didn't get the band. Reside our house, save the money for a nice down payment on our next house, pay off my car, pay towards my school loan, etc.... If I don't do this, I will be paying alot more money in my future for medications, I will be miserably overweight and unhappy. Go for it, I tell myself. They have to put a list of complications or posisble side effects on EVERYTHING! They even tell you to take the plastic off of a frozen pizza before you put it in the oven. It is for their protection as well as ours. Hang in there! Like someone else said earlier, that there could be 10 pages of complications of just being overweight! Good Luck!

I know what you mean, I too am scared. I'm scared of the surgery and I'm scared of how I will feel afterwards. I also keep thinking of all the other things I could spend the money on. I am glad I am not the only one with these feelings. But I also keep thinking how nice it will be to be thinner next summer and how good it will feel to be able to do the things that I can't do now.

Beastbron,

I believe Bandedgirl08's post is right on. Most of you are quite a bit younger than me. I am going to be 53 and now I have health concerns and scares by being 5'6" and 272. The risk of staying overweight is probably far higher than having the surgery.

If you think you can do this on your own now before turning 40, I can see wanting to back out, but you don't want to get to a few years down the road and realize that you wish you had done it now.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Alice

I would like to add my two cents as well. I am new to the postings but am also nervous as my surgery is scheduled for this coming Tues..I have 5 friends that have had it, and out of them all are doing very well. One of them had to have it removed as her body rejected it but now she is finishing her weight loss journey through ww. I am excitedly nervous and just want to get on with it!

Hey Stormy2355, I too am going this Tuesday April 1! I try not to think about the surgery too deeply. Thats what keeps me calm. Its the fear of change that gets most of us.

We are scheduled for surgery on the same day! I am 5'4" at 328 lbs and I am scared, but ready. I have spent a long time making the decision, and I'm sticking to it. It will be over before you know it!