Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Had The Band The Longest On This Forum?

I'm really getting nervous now. I have people telling me that the lap band, is a fad... You will never keep the weight off permenantly.... You'll eventually start eating like you always have.... and gain everything you have lost, plus!!!! Are there any Veteran Bansters here..... more then 5 yrs???? I need to know how those people are doing!!!! Please tell me if you were able to maintain!!! Tell me your complications if any... tell me... tell me everything!!! :tongue_smilie:

I work with a Dr. who had the Band done in 2003 and she looks FABULOUS.....i am not sure what her weight loss total was but i am gonna guess about 70 lbs she was not that big to begin with....she has kept it off and hasnt had a fill in months...she looks GREAT.

When you start hearing negative things like that.. .you start to worry.. and 2nd guess if this is actually a good thing to do. I know I've heard of people that have had the gastric bypass... then then after several years, their stomach stretches. and they gain all their weight back. I don't believe that happens to everyone.... You gotta want a life time change... and I do... Just freaks me out.. cuz i really don't know anyone that has had the band for many years, and know their outcome.... Thanks for responding. I truly appreciate any and all feedback!!

I've had the band for 7 years and have kept all the weight off without too much trouble. You learn to balance what you eat with the exercise you do. If you want me to post before and afters i will ... to show you it is a long term thing

Hey Bel, Thanks for responding!! How old were you when you had your band? 15 yrs old???? (Thats my son's age) What was your weight at that time? That is a very young age! I would love to hear your story!!

I weighed 115kgs, my story is much like most people i guess, i was obese from asthma steroids and being a piggie. I had severe depression and couldn't see how big i really was.

My wakeup call came when i went to the doctor (was 14) and he said i was at a serious risk of a heart attack and would drop dead within the year. I then saw the band on today tonight, conincedentally it was my friend on the telly who had it and i didnt even know!

I looked into that night and had the band around 6-8wks later just after my 15th birthday.

It has been a rocky ride because i always thought the band would do it for me, young an naiive i guess.

I soon learn't that i had to make a concious effort to control intake, at first the band did that for me but 7 yrs down the track i still get full faster just not as fast.

I still have trouble seeing myself as normal now, i have a lot of emotional problems i had to deal with...its not just lose it and move on.

I have also had two surgeries to get skin removed from my stomach and legs and will need more to have it removed from my arms and a boob job but its SO worth it .

Bel