Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feedback from Jan '08 Bandsters

Banded on Jan 16, 08. I've had two fills at the hospital by my surgeon. My third fill is scheduled for 4/22/08. I think I have 6cc's in a new 10cc band.

After the 2nd fill, I found out about PBing, had about 3 sorta dramatic episodes now, my fault for eating too fast, not chewing properly. If I have that "stuck" feeling at home, my husband massages the middle of my back, and that always helps the food to slide down. The PBing is the slimy food coming back up, sorta like vomiting. I can still eat whatever and as much as I want as long as I chew, chew, chew. I don't have that restriction feeling that some people have, wish I did. I have lost approx 26lbs, the weight loss credit mostly goes to my willpower, the band helps by not having such a large, empty pit in my stomach, I don't stay starving all the time. My weight loss seems to be slower than others than I have read.

I'm keeping myself hungry to lose weight, because I told everybody and his brother that I was getting the LapBand, so my willpower has to stay strong because they keep asking me, "how's it going" pointing to their stomachs. I'm a longtime yo-yoer and my head will only hold out so long and then I'm gonna start eating BIG time.

Ok, I'm not exercising like I should, I'm walking some, but not breaking a sweat. I go to the monthly WLS group meetings, a very, good of gals.

I'm happy I've got my Band but I need for it to kick in to high gear soon to give my head a break :tongue_smilie:

Come on people, I need some support!

We have very similiar results. I was banded on Jan. 21st and I had my second fill yesterday. I have lost a total of 27 pounds since the surgery and I lost 10 on the pre-op diet. I do workout and I have only lost one more pound that you have so I think that you are doing very well.

I have been surviving by will power also and counting my calories really keeps me in check. We will succeed with this and I would love to hear how your doing a year from now.

I think that keeping yourself hungry only puts your body in starvation mode, and you won't lose anything.

Did your doctor give you guidelines to follow in terms of food to eat? Mine gave me a list of food suggestions. I am losing slow, and happy about it. I could eat everything, but I am making smart food choices now.

None of my trigger foods are in the house, I have no cake, Cookies, ice cream, soda, Snacks, or candy in my house. I try to eat 4-5oz Protein at meals, with veggies. I eat grapefruit, and juice veggies and fruit. I very rarely eat bread, rice, potatoes, or that kind of carb. I look at the nutrition statement on everything I eat. I keep myself to 1000-1200 calories a day.

I have had some bad days, we all do, but I get right back on track the next day. Walk more, and if you can't, go up and down the stairs in your house or at work. If you can, take a class at the gym or the Y. Just increase your activity by 15 minutes a day.

The band is not a miracle worker. You have to use the band as an aid while you make a complete lifestyle change on your part.

Well I have lost 28 lbs (and 5.5"s) total (including 5 preop diet) and have had one fill (I will be going for my second on Apr 4 - 4 weeks since last one) and I still have ZERO restriction. So I have recently started counting calories and aiming for 1200 a day. I still struggle to get enough Water in daily. But I'm hanging in there, I get discouraged some days at my loss but remember that the band is meant to work with restriction of which I have none and that I too will have my day.

Not looking forward to first PB though that should be... not so fun

I know now that the band is not the cure all. It help by limiting what I can fit in my stomach. But the real battle is fighting the bad habits and encouraging the good habits like exercising and drinking lots of Water. I can only fight the battle one day at a time, some days I lose the battle and give in to eating something I know I shouldn't and other days, I win the battle. It's gotta be one day at a time.

I have my good days and bad days, too. Let's just say that Reese's PB eggs go right through! I try hard not to be around that kind of stuff, but I am learning and even small things make me happy. I almost bought a bag of M&M's (The huge one) and put it back. I decided that if I was going to buy them I would get the small bag. I did and I didn't even eat half and threw the rest away before I could even think about it. I NEVER would have done that pre-band. I probably would have gotten 2 of the big bags plus some chips! It might not have been the best decision, but it was better! That is how I try to look at those things. I take it day by day-minute by minute and then take pride in the fact that I can throw half a bag of M&M's away w/o worrying about starving kids in China. It does help that I have some restriction in my band since my last fill. It just helps me make up my mind.

I agree with you ....a small change is better than no change and if half a small bag satisfys its sooo much better than what you did before. I struggle with that. I was banded on the 14th of January and my biggest problem would be that I could not be hungry for most of the day and then once I started to eat not stop. Sweets would be my biggest downfall...but so far I have lost 32 pounds and go for my second fill on the 4th ..minimal restriction I feel kinda of discouraged since I have those days where I know I shouldn't have made that food choice but the alternative of what I would of chosen before helps me make it through the day. And tomorrow is always a chance to do it better.

Well I have been bad, i still eat sweets I have always had a bad sweet tooth BUT I am logging everything I eat including my sweets and eating around 1200 calories a day. So, I'm okay with that for now. I figure, why deny myself - I'll just make myself crazy. Everything in moderation right.

That is why I won't deny myself that ice cream pop if I want it. I know my body, if I deprive myself of it, I will eat the whole box. I will not put any ice cream in my house, because I will eat the whole thing.

I went for Chinese food the other night, and PB'd after about 10 well chewed bites of fried rice. Yes, fried rice my old nemisis. I wanted it, hadn't had it in awhile so got it. I took the rest home. The old me would have been able to eat the whole quart of fried rice, plus an egg roll, plus an entree. The new me has had a small bowl everynight this week and that is it, no other food. There is even still some leftover, after 4 days.

I am far from being perfect in my eating, but sticking as close to plan as possible, and I am happy with any loss. I didn't get fat in one year, I got fat over 25 years. I don't care if the weight loss happens in 1 year or 5, as long as I am seeing some reduction.

I wanted to give a shout. I was banded on 1/28/08 and am having a hard time keeping the weight off I lost on my liquid and mushy diet. I can pretty much eat anyhthing with no problems with the band. No PB or slime yet. I hope I make it okay through the weekend,. I go for my third fill on Tuesday. Anyone in the same boat?

I just had my second fill and I just found out today that I have more restriction than I thought. Today was my first experience with sliming and it was horrible.

I wanted to give a shout. I was banded on 1/28/08 and am having a hard time keeping the weight off I lost on my liquid and mushy diet. I can pretty much eat anyhthing with no problems with the band. No PB or slime yet. I hope I make it okay through the weekend,. I go for my third fill on Tuesday. Anyone in the same boat?

Hang in there.... I was banded on 1/30, and I too hit a plateau and yes, even saw some weight gain. Remember what you probably heard or read elsewhere - it's going to be about your 3rd or 4th fill before we get to that sweet spot.

I had my 2nd fill, and I'm not starting to have some of those sensations that's I've read about.... pain when things get stuck or I don't chew is one that I've really had. Dang, it sure hurts. I can tell a difference already and I finally have some restriction.

Now I just need to exericse.

I was banded on 1/16 and have had two fills. I have some restriction but nothing like I have read here on the board. I have never slimmed nor pb'd. I have been stuck once but for the most part I call it pressurized lol. I feel the pressure in my chest and I am uncomfortable but it passes quickly . I have found deep breathing helps sometimes and pineapple juice helps EVERY time (wonderful tip I picked up here)

Oh yah, I'm right there beside you in that boat (feel me rocking it? lol). I'm going for my 2nd fill this Friday and I HOPE HOPE HOPE that it does me some good because the first one didn't do a damned thing.

I just had my second fill and I just found out today that I have more restriction than I thought. Today was my first experience with sliming and it was horrible.

Oh man *hug* that's not fun. At least you have some restriction though right? (trying to find the bright side of a slime).

I was banded on 1/16 and have had two fills. I have some restriction but nothing like I have read here on the board. I have never slimmed nor pb'd. I have been stuck once but for the most part I call it pressurized lol. I feel the pressure in my chest and I am uncomfortable but it passes quickly . I have found deep breathing helps sometimes and pineapple juice helps EVERY time (wonderful tip I picked up here)

Haha, I know what you mean by the "pressurized" I had that happen once or twice on bites that I didn't chew very well and were too big (to be honest, I don't really need to pay attention to how much i chew/how big bites are right now as it all goes down) but had one time where it was uncomfortable! I felt it go through but was like o darn that's not so fun. Didn't hurt but didn't feel like a massage either lol.

I am finally getting my third fill tomorrow. I hope for some restriction as I have none now. I'm thinking I have a really big band and anything can go down right now. Hopefully the doctor will be generous with his cc's. Let you know.

Caryn