Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to informational session last night now I'm confused

Last night I went to an informational session at Sharp Grossmont hopital in La Mesa. It was awesome. I was so embarrassed to go, because I have a lot of guilt and shame for being overweight. I was in denial for so long about my wieght and have finally woken up and realized that I have a problem and need to do something about it. Dieting just isn't even an option for me anymore; 've tried it and it doesn't work. They made me feel so comfortable and welcome. They explained that obesity is a disease and an epidemic and that surgery can help inprove your health and quality of life. That is exactly what I want!

Here is where my confusion lies. I went in dead-set for the band, but now I am not so sure. The doctor desribed the benefits and downfalls of both the lap band and the Roux-en-y bypass. I knew the major points of each going in, but he gave me more to think about. He said that with the bypass the Ghrelin hormone (the one that makes you hungry) is dramatically reduced and that this is another weight loss control. This is not the case with the band. He also said that it is more successful: 85% effectiveness compared to 70% for lap band. I am now concerned about the long term care of the band and don't want to have problems with the band down the road.

I really hope I get some good responses, because now I am really weighing both. I still really want to go for the band, but I see some downsides to it now.

I don't know about his stats...but I can tell you this.

My twin and I both had WLS. She had the bypass, RnY. The next year I had the band.

1 year later, I am 6 pounds lighter.

I struggle more than she to keep it off as she can eat what she wants...and that must be true...her desire for food has decreased.

Mine, I still want that stuff. But I do enjoy a healthier lifestyle and can say 3 bites of pizza and I'm done.

I was self pay, $7000. She had a copay of about $1000.

I saw the surgeon a few times, 3 adjustments.

She had to go thru programs, see the doc frequently.

Talk to patients of both. And then YOU decide what you want.

But remember, you can have RnY if the band doesn't work for you...but I'm not sure about the band after RnY...so if that doesn't work for you ....you will lose out on the band.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow, Congratulations on your weight loss. That is such an inspiration to me.

WLS is such a big decision and I will keep researching until I am 100% comfortable with my decision.

I know a few people who after losing weight with the bypass surgery have gained a lot of it back because they kept eating too much and stretched out their new smaller stomach. Which I am sure is possible to some extent with the lap band as well. But I just see quite a bit of failed bypass patients and lack of proper nutrients and a lot of hair loss. But I don't know. I just plain don't like the idea of the bypass surgery because it involves so much cutting of the guts. Where the lap band although it should be treated as permanent, can fairly easily be removed if complications arise and you stomach will be much closer to the way it was before the lap band was installed.

Here is a video on Youtube that I found of a lady that had the bypass surgery and failed, and then had the lap band and did great!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FWBgB9fs4k]YouTube - Lap Band with great results[/ame] That probably would not be the case with everyone. There are many things to consider with both procedures.

I'm struggling with the same decision. I want my "choice", whichever it is, to work. I realize it's a tool not a miracle, but I didn't get this way because I don't enjoy food. I also don't understand if there's a maximum fill for the lapband and what happens when you're at the limit. Comments are appreciated.

I'm struggling with the same decision. I want my "choice", whichever it is, to work. I realize it's a tool not a miracle, but I didn't get this way because I don't enjoy food. I also don't understand if there's a maximum fill for the lapband and what happens when you're at the limit. Comments are appreciated.

Take a waterhose and turn the Water on.

Now take your hand around it and squeeze (if it's a soft one) you will see the amount of Water decrease.

Now kink it. Water stops, right?

That's the band. My capacity in the band for Fluid is 4cc and I have 2. And I'm done already.

Some go up to 3 or more...but your doctor will ensure you get the right sized band and just go for the adjustments....you'll get the restriction.

Take a waterhose and turn the Water on.

Now take your hand around it and squeeze (if it's a soft one) you will see the amount of Water decrease.

Now kink it. Water stops, right?

That's the band. My capacity in the band for Fluid is 4cc and I have 2. And I'm done already.

Some go up to 3 or more...but your doctor will ensure you get the right sized band and just go for the adjustments....you'll get the restriction.

except you dont want the water to STOP. you want it to significantly slow, but not stop.

being filled so much to where you cant eat is extremely unhealthy and dangerous.