Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid of getting saggy skin

I'm about 225 and have not been banded yet. I obviously need to lose 75-100lbs to be the "ideal" weight. Is it just me, or are others afraid of getting saggy skin? :thumbup: I know there's always plastic surgery, but I don't think I can afford that. And I know that it's healthier to be thin with skin, but I can't help thinking about it. Anyone know how much one has to lose to get that saggy skin? :crying: What exercises tighten the skin? Anyone lose that much weight and not have saggy skin?

So I won't scare you with my saggy skin pictures, but I will tell you this...I will take my baggy/saggy/look like jabba the hut's sister's skin over the 90 pounds that I just shed. As for what causes it, my doc said that it is a lot of different factors: age, health before surgery, muscle tone, # of pregnancies (for tummy area of course!), rate of weight loss, amount of exercise. Probably the best way to prevent it is to slowly lose the weight with lots and lots of cardio and weights while you are losing. Unfortunately some of us (ME, ME, ME) had everything going for them in terms of the factor and could still win at least a casting call if they were to recast the role of Jabba the Hut in a new Star Wars movie. Looks were definetly a factor in getting the band, but more so it was for my health. My mom died at 53 from a major heart attack and suffered from heart disease, joint diseases, diabetes, sleep disorders, and intestinal disorders due in part to her weight...I was just over 50 pounds away from her weight when she died and I knew what my future held. So skin be damned, I took control of my life.

Good luck in your choice, and congrats on taking the first step and doing your research. The more you learn the better off you will be!

BabyNicole - My highest weight was 231 and I'm 5'3", I have lost 70 lbs so far and I can honestly say I don't have any saggy skin other then my belly (well..my boobs too but I nursed) - which was where I carried most of my weight. I had 3 (huge) pregnancys and even if I hadn't gain the weight I still would have needed a tt. I'm 46 and other then the normal gravity pull going on I think I look pretty good. I use lotion EVERY day and I didnt' get many stretch marks. So if I were you I wouldn't worry about the saggy skin, it should bounce back pretty good.

Julie, please post your after surgery of thigh lift? Am really wanting to have it done, but scared of the pain plus I'm a keloid former- so I might have thinner thighs after the surgery with an ugly bulging scar formed on my legs!!!!

laniayala, I would be happy to post. Look for my thread online in early May. I am really happy I met with a second surgeon. I guess my thighs aren't as bad as I thought so he is lifting me from the top of the thigh opposed to the inner thigh scaring which runs down the entire inside of the thigh to the knee. He is also doing Lipo of my thighn, inner and outer and my knee. JulieNYC also had a thigh lift, but she has the scar that runs down the entire thigh. Her thighs were much worse than mine given the fact that she lost 150 lbs. Julie

I got my surgery date of April 30 and I am worried about sagging skin too. I will be 40 in August and have had 2 babies in the last 5 yrs. The shrink I had to see for insurance approval told me "it will be like your wearing a shirt made of skin". NICE GUY. But you know what? regardless of lap-band or not, I HAVE to loose this weight, I cannot continue like this. I think my kids would rather have a sagging skin Mom who enjoys a healthy life than a Mom who's world revolves around food.< /p>

I'm older than you guys - so I have the whole age factor going against me along with the loss of the fat that filled out my legs & arms - My tummy isn't bad I have a little flap - boobs - well I have grandma titties - but so what I am a grandma and a good bra you can't tell - legs are not great - but I am past the age of mini skirts and hot pants - but the bat wings OMW they are bad - but so what - to date 81 lbs I feel 10 yrs younger - I am not walking around naked - I wear clothing that flatter my body and undergarments that support it. So to hell with flabby skin - I will take my health any day.

I would spend the $$$ on my face before my body (cuz that's what shows) and what I have read the surgery from the arm surgery can leave you with some ugly scars - so ugly that you still can't wear sleeveless tops... Also imho whats the use of having perky boobs if they are all scarred up -

Edited by IndioGirl55
forgot something

I've only lost 70lbs and I have loose skin. It pools around my thighs, my batwings...even starting under my chin where my 2nd chin used to be. But, you know I can always cover up with clothing and no one but me knows that I have the extra skin. If I was still 70lbs heavier, everyone would know I was fat.

Skin happens :tongue_smilie:

It is based on genetics, how many times it has been stretched, age, etc. I am young, but still have the excess skin. But I also lost over 100lbs before and then gained 60lbs back and now I have lost 70lbs. I also read in my lapband book that you should give yourself 2 years for your skin to suck up.

I've never understood the concern for saggy skin outweighing the concern for health, longevity, etc.

If you're significantly overweight, and you've been overweight for... let's say a year (even though there's no set timeline)... and you're not like 12... chances are you skin will sag.

I pretty mucht hink it's BS that anything other than than a healthy lifestyle (not smoking, keeping hydrated, etc.), good genetics, age, how long/much the skin was stretched, etc. can do crap for it.

People say that exercising helps shrink the skin. I think this is a misnomer. Usually it's some small amount of muscle bulk building that occupies some of the space, maybe making the skin look tighter.

Do you have stretchmarks? If you have strecthmarks, you're probably going to have saggy skin. If you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't, you may get off better than the rest of us.

Have been reasearching, and also put up a thread about Vitamins and saggy skin. If we lose alot of weight, well ---. But at least we look good in a nice outfit, and be much healthier.

I've never understood the concern for saggy skin outweighing the concern for health, longevity, etc.

If you're significantly overweight, and you've been overweight for... let's say a year (even though there's no set timeline)... and you're not like 12... chances are you skin will sag.

I pretty mucht hink it's BS that anything other than than a healthy lifestyle (not smoking, keeping hydrated, etc.), good genetics, age, how long/much the skin was stretched, etc. can do crap for it.

People say that exercising helps shrink the skin. I think this is a misnomer. Usually it's some small amount of muscle bulk building that occupies some of the space, maybe making the skin look tighter.

Do you have stretchmarks? If you have strecthmarks, you're probably going to have saggy skin. If you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't, you may get off better than the rest of us.

For me saggy skin doesn't outway the concern for my health, etc. b/c if it did I wouldn't be concidering the lap band...or losing weight for that matter! :w00t: I'm already self conscience about the way I look, and I don't want to be more self conscience after I'm "thin." And even though everyone may not state it, I'm sure many are concerned with looking soaking wet all the time. But, to each his own.

BTW, yes, I do have some stretchmarks on my tummy b/c I gained weight so fast after being on Jenny Craig. :scared2: I've never had a child, though. I will eat right and excersize in the hopes to minimize my saggy skin. :blush:

I agree - I am one of the luckier ones who never got hardly any stretch marks - and I was HUGE when I was pregnant - HUGE is an understatement - yes I did use cocoa butter and Vitamin E lotions and creams but my mother had 7 kids and she hardly has a stretch mark. Genetics - thats about it. Like I said before my arms, legs and face all went back real good - just the belly, that was stretched beyond repair. Well that is repair without ps.:blush:

I really appreciate everyone's comments about sagging skin. I worry about it all the time and I am soon to be banded. No date, but I have had my pre-ops and will get a date on April 8. I too will probably not be able to pay for it myself and my insurance does not do cosmetic surgery, unless it is medically nesessary.

I am 61, and know from exeprience that I will look llike deflated balloon that has been blown up for a long time with too much air. It has been one thing that has been discouraging when I lost weight before.

It really is our health that counts. I applaud the people who ae getting it, don't get me wrong, but for me, health has to be enough and isn't that the most important thing?

Congratulations to everyone!!!