Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4cc's at the time of surgery.. Is his too much early on?

Hello, I am scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks. My surgeon told me that he fills the band with 4cc's during surgery. It sounds like we cannot determine the band size until surgery. Is this too much of a fill? I have read that people have felt restriction after surgery due to swelling or for other reasons. Do you think that 4cc's during surgery and possible restriction as a result of swelling is too much of an adjustment early on? Should I ask my surgeon to not fill the band until I see how I feel after the surgery?

I think it depends on the size of band you had put in. My surgeon put 2 cc in my 10 cc band at the time of surgery which was pretty good for me until I got my first fill. I think most people feel some restriction initially after surgery but mine went away after about 2 weeks or so. I didn't feel alot of restriction after the swelling went down but I wasn't able to eat as much as I did before surgery.

Good luck with your surgery!!

My doctor put in 3cc at time of surgery and then I have had 1 fill with an additional 3cc. I still have no restriction and have had no pb's or anything getting stuck. I am really focusing on changing how I deal with food and want to go slow with the remainder of my fills. I go on the 10th and am only asking for .5cc. I don't want to get to the point where I can't eat what I want unless I absolutely have to. Good luck

Truthfully, I think you lose faster if you get the band slightly filled during surgery. I have seen some fabulous results from the Mexican Bandsters who are filled during surgery. 3 ccs seems more practicle, but it depends on what size band you have. Its a 10cc band then 4 should be find. I think it takes 6 or 7 for optimal restriction. P.S. I wish my doctor had filled my band partial during surgery. It took me forever, like 6 months, to even get good restriction. For the last year or so its been an uphill battle. Good luck.

I have a 9cc band and my surgeon filled me 3cc in surgery, I am 2 weeks out with very little restriction. I am waiting for my next fill, so i am sure you will be just fine.

My Dr put 5ccs in my 10cc band during surgery...It still took 6 fills afterwards to get restriction at around month 5. I think having an advanced fill is a blessing, at least for me. Good luck w/your surgery!!!

My doc did not put any in at surgery and would not for 6 weeks. He is following the ALLERGAN guidelines and they seemed to be working for me. He reminded me this is a marathon and not a sprint.

I have a 14cc band. I had my first fill on 03/26/08 the doctor put in 3cc. He wasn't sure if he would fill it because I still am not hungry. But I still can eat anything I want and the dr. was mad about that. Said I need to diet. I didn't think I would need to diet once got banded. I thought I would just have to watch what eat. Now I wish I didn't have the band. If I just need diet that's what I would have tried again and again.

weight.png

Edited by JillS

My doc put 4 cc in my 10cc band and with my first fill I now have 5cc and doing great. I only had restriction for the first two weeks after surgery and didn't vomit or get stuck or any of that stuff. You'll be fine with that.

I'm jealous! I wish my surgeon had put in 4cc's at surgery! It took me forever to get up to 4cc's and I still wasn't at my sweet spot. I think in general (I'm assuming you have a 10cc band) people start reaching good restriction at around 4 cc's - most take at least 4.5 so your doctor is starting at the low end of average for good restriction. I think it's kind of smart that he is doing that, but that's just my opinion - as someone who really struggled to find restriction and really needed it!

Thanks for your responses. I have my surgery on April 3rd. He told me that he would determine the size of my band during surgery. It sounds like the size of the band and the amount of the fill plays a role with restriction. I will let you know how it goes.