Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Regret Getting Banded ??? VOTE !

Do you regret your decision to get Lap Band Surgery ? Please Why or Why Not:  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regret your decision to get Lap Band Surgery ? Please Why or Why Not:

• Yes, I Regret getting Lap Band Surgery (please explain why)
    • No i don't regret it. It was one of the best decisions in my life.
    • I don't know yet how I feel about it.....

Most definitely glad I got this band. People who think it's the easy way out don't realize how hard we still have to work to lose & keep the weight off. (at least for me. I'm sure there's someone out there who shot right down to goal and is staying there with very little effort)

Part of me wishes I had it done earlier and didn't spend most of my late 20's and early thirties fat. The other part of me is glad I waited til I did, when surgeons had already learned how to prevent band slippage and a lot about aftercare. And so that I never wonder if I could have done it "on my own".

Wow, I feel like you are writing what i am thinking. I feel better knowing that i am not the only one who wonders if this is the best decission. ANd your poll was great. I love to hear the inspirational stories. My first appointment is May 2nd. I am anxious and nervious, I have actually gained 6 lbs since making the appointment 2 weeks ago. I have been eating everything in sight because i am so affraid i will never be able to have some of the stuff again. From what i have read, it seems as though i will be able to but i will have this control switch inside of me that will not let me go overboard. I love this forum i feel better with each success story that i read.

Interesting question.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the few that have had problems with my band. I've had to have several surgeries, I've had infections, and in the end I lost my band due to erosion. I was also a cash pay patient and have since accumulated thousands in additional medical bills.

I'm angry at the way things turned out and I wished they would have turned out differently. However, I still do not regret making the decision to get a lap-band. Regret? Nope. Not at all. In the short time I had it, it helped me change my life and I am happy with my progress.

Good luck to you.

I eat anything and don't have too much trouble with any kind of food as long as I chew and slow down. I haven't told anyone accept my mom, dad, and a couple of really close friends/neighbors. The rest of my family and friends don't know at all and they never even question it. I have completely changed my life from what I eat to how I eat to the exercise I do daily, so it is not surprising that I am losing the weight and my friends and family don't question me about whether I had surgery or not, because they see how hard I am working.

Definitely do it now, I am 24 and I wish I had done it years ago, but it has truly been a blessing. Best of luck to you!

The band is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I have no shame in having it. Why should I be ashamed that I am doing what I have to do to improve my health, be happier, more self-confident and increase my lifespan so I will be hear to see my kids kids, etc.?

got done bout a month ago n already im seeing changes and i coudlnt of done it with out it or id of never got it done in the 1st place its hard work but wat isnt these days..

ilove my band!!!!

Excuse my french, but HELL NO! I don't regret my decision one bit. I'm down over 100 lbs in 7 mos. I can eat any foods I want, only smaller portions. I watch what I eat more than ever before and it's working. I exercise more than ever before. I used to just lift and maybe about 20 minutes of cardio. Now, I do cardio EVERY morning and lift 4 nights a week. Only, I do circuit training now with lifting.

As for the impostor part, I see it as someone who is still pre op. I told very few people until right before the surgery. As it got closer and after surgery, I've told anyone who will listen. I don't care if they think I "took the easy way out". I have not had anyone tell me that to my face, but I would just invite them to the gym with me for one week and to try out my workouts. Most "fit" people couldn't hang with me for one full week.:blush:

Absolutely no regrets. The band has given me back my health and love for life already and I still have 50 pounds to lose before i reach my goal.

I'm seriously only ten days out, so may be premature......but I am so happy. I have a sense of control and empowerment that I've never had before. I know this is going to work for me and it's just such a great feeling.

I have a wonderful medical team to rely on, a great support system at home, and most importantly, such a feeling of CONFIDENCE.

No regrets....none.

No regrets except I wish I would have done it sooner. I was also mistaken that I thought it would be so easy. It is really something that I have to work on.

I don't know if I regret getting the band but I'm disapointed. Had my first fill 3/26/08. Dr. was not happy when I told him I can eat anything. I still lost 5 lbs. Dr. said I need to diet. I thought I got the band so I didn't have to diet. If it took diet then why get the band. I know I need to eat healthy but diet!

WasaBubbleButt, as someone who has not yet 'come to terms' with the band I am interested to know why you would have gotten a sleeve instead. - please could you say why?

I got my band on March 3rd and will get my first fill on 4/2. I feel a bit restricted now however.

I would recommend that you and anyone considering it to choose a surgeon with lots of experience, like 1000 bands. It takes a very precise placement on your stomach (over the area that secrets appetite hormones) and a knowledgable staff to be effective for you.

I am surprised at how my tastes in foods have changed just in the last 3 weeks. I no longer have cravings and am in control of my food choices. Feels great and hopefully my band will continue to supress those appetite hormones.

I feel normal with food for the first time in my life. What a blessing!

I expect to be totally successful with my weight loss and more importantly, to be able to keep it off forever.

It is hard however and not a walk in the park. The journey is worth it and remember you only have one life and a limited time on this earth.

Make sure you spend your time on earth as your best self, healthy and active. Do whatever it takes to achieve that. For me, I needed the band to do it.

Love to all;

Sadie

Did you have counseling before this? Seems like your issues should have been addressed before surgery so that you could feel good about yourself. If you needed it, wanted it, who cares, I bet there are more breast implants out there than lap bands!