Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other April Avengers worried about Erosion or Slippage?

My surgery is only 1 week away! Now I am getting concerned about these possible complications. Does anyone know the statistics of successful Lap Band placements VS. those who have erosion or slippage, and have to have the band removed?

I really really want this to work, and I will be devastated if something goes wrong......

OMG I am worried about EVERYTHING!!! If it wasnt for bad luck I would have NO luck!! I am starting to freak out! There was a teenager locally here (18) who was having reconstructive medically necessary breast surgery & she had a complication from anesthesia & she died! Just what I need to hear 16 days away from surgery!! She was 1/2 my age!! Supposedly it was some kind of genetic allergy & her parents didnt know about it. I just keep telling myself, I have been thru this all before w/ gall bladder & endometriosis surgeries & everything was fine then.

I am not concerned at all. I have complete faith in my surgeon and God. I have surgery in 7 days and i couldn't be more excited!

Hi!

I had to smile reading the above posts. I'm somewhere between "complete faith in my surgeon and God" and "Worried about everything."

I don't know the satistics, but I'm sure your doctor does - by all means ask him/her! From what I recall, they are pretty small....having said that, they do occur, but they are not the "norm". Not to scare you further, but there are all KINDS of things that CAN happen.

If you trust statistics, the chances are good that you will NOT have any complications!

If you trust in God (I do), then trust he has a plan for you and is leading you to take good care of your body!

Good luck to all of you!!

Hi!

I had to smile reading the above posts. I'm somewhere between "complete faith in my surgeon and God" and "Worried about everything."

I don't know the satistics, but I'm sure your doctor does - by all means ask him/her! From what I recall, they are pretty small....having said that, they do occur, but they are not the "norm". Not to scare you further, but there are all KINDS of things that CAN happen.

If you trust statistics, the chances are good that you will NOT have any complications!

If you trust in God (I do), then trust he has a plan for you and is leading you to take good care of your body!

That was nice, thanks Lizalee!:)

I told my surgeon I'm an average, boring person so I'm assuming everything will go accordingly! I have a very good surgeon with very low complication rate. I've done all my research and feel good about my choice to do this. I'll deal with whatever happens if it happens.

Hi!

I totally agree! If God brings you to it, He will bring you thru it!

I'm being banded in a week. At my preop class the nutritionist basically said that slippage comes from not measuring your meals. As long as you eat only 4 ounces by volume you shouldn't have any problems. She also mentioned that Target sells a set of measuring cups that are made of silicone that are collapsible so you can tuck the 1/2 cup measuring cup in your purse or pocket if you're eating out. Hope this helps.

Kim

I totally agree! If God brings you to it, He will bring you thru it!

I have never heard that quote before - it is awesome! Thanks!

I am worried about erosion. like what foods are not good to eat. I heard pineapple juice and alcohol are not good, im trying to read more online to get better educated, but sometimes you have to search through so much to find the topic u are looking for, my surgery is 4/7/08

I will say that we all have come a long way to get to this point and we must remain positive a focused. Of course it is natural to worry. I really worry about post-op problems because I am self pay and if something goes wrong I figure my insurance will not cover anything related to the band. Just like others say, you must put your trust in God and believe he will walk with you through this journey. It is really neat to see all the support you can get from this board.

God Bless you all,

This time last year I had all these same worries and fears......... the number one best advice to you is that the first 6 weeks are for HEALING and not losing... so don't freak out.

Plant it into your head that even though you are hungry after the post op swelling goes down.. that you need to cement that little sucker in place with scar tissue... so stick to your docs post op diet.....

Pick a plan and work it.