Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting....need help!

Ok everyone. I am not on this website often but I joined awhile ago becasue nearly every question I have--someone else has asked and you guys have answered. I got banded in Atlanta on July 27, 2007 and was at 267 the day of surgery. I'm now at 237 as of this morning--which in my opinion is a lot, but not the 1-2lbs my surgeon said I'd lose.

Anyway, I am throwing up almost every day. I can drink liquids like they are going out of style and I can keep some foods down--but today I had refried Beans and nacho chips--chewed very very well--and about 10 minutes later I was in the bathroom tossing up my Cookies. This happens with a variety of foods.

My questions are: 1) Is this going to cause my band to slip and 2) how often do the rest of you puke? It's really unpleasant. Sometimes if I gulp Water that comes up violently, too which is weird because it's only sometimes. Can anyone help me on this and share their experiences?

Thanks!:ohmy::huh2:

Are you eating too much or too fast? Even if I chew well, if I eat too quickly or too much I still PB.

You may need a slight unfill if you're doing it all the time.

I PB a few times a week, depending on what's going on (PMS makes me tighter). But it's always my fault.. sometimes I try to eat bread, which I know..won't work. But I try it anyway.

And yes, that can cause your band to slip.

When you "throw up" what comes up? What you describe sounds more like "PBing" than "vomitting" -- so get detailed because advice will change depending on which you're experiecing.

When you throw up, is it as though the contents of your stomach are coming up? E.g. is there acid, food from yesterday, etc? (If "yes" then you need to log off and call your surgeon)

Or is it bits of whatever you're currently eating along with some saliva and maybe really thick "mucus" stuff, and quite possibly a good deal of abdominal/band-area discomfort? (If yes, then continue reading)

Gulping Water while banded -- why are you even doing that? The "pouch" can only hold so much. Anything it can't hold that won't pass quick enough comes out the other end, aka your mouth. So if gulping Water causes you to bring the water back up, that seems like a pretty easy "stop gulping"... no?

Since it comes so suddenly after food I'm thinking PB which means 1) you're too tight or 2) you're eating too much or 3) you're eating too fast or 4) you aren't chewing well enough or 5) you're trying to swallow too much at once or 6) any combination of the above.

Post more info and we can help if that's the case. If it's not and you're truly VOMITTING then you need to seek medical care and most likely an antiemitic, if you don't have one on hand.

Have you had problems w/gall bladder?

I was thinking I was having severe PB episodes, when really I was having gall bladder attacks. I had it removed about a month ago and haven't had any problems since. Fatty foods may trigger it.

When I have PB'd...it was nothing like vomiting. It really is more like a burp, it's just that food comes out. And, I only get that when I've pushed past the full-feeling.

Vomitting is way different, and you should call your doctor.

Ok, that was what I needed to hear. When I hover over the toilet all I have to do is bend over and it comes up--thick, mucous and what I just ate. My surgeon said that she didn't think I got the same restriction as everyone else because I can still (after 5 fills) get a lot of food down. Which I think is weird. Anywho....I think I'm doing a combination of what you've said. Thank you so much for shedding some life on my issue.

Ok, that was what I needed to hear. When I hover over the toilet all I have to do is bend over and it comes up--thick, mucous and what I just ate. My surgeon said that she didn't think I got the same restriction as everyone else because I can still (after 5 fills) get a lot of food down. Which I think is weird. Anywho....I think I'm doing a combination of what you've said. Thank you so much for shedding some life on my issue.

Wheetsin rocks.

I liken it to a small funnel, when people ask me about the band. When it gets backed up, it just slides up and out. :ohmy: I try real hard to pay attention to the full feeling. One thing that's been a hard adjustment is WANTING to eat more. I feel like I should be able to eat more, but I can't, and sometimes I push it. But, it's a learning process...

Good luck.

Wheetsin rocks.

I liken it to a small funnel, when people ask me about the band. When it gets backed up, it just slides up and out. :ohmy: I try real hard to pay attention to the full feeling. One thing that's been a hard adjustment is WANTING to eat more. I feel like I should be able to eat more, but I can't, and sometimes I push it. But, it's a learning process...

Good luck.

You seem like you've done really well...and have had your band less time than me. How often do you exercise? Any favorite foods I should try?

First, ask yourself are you really vomiting...as in food in the stomach and you go into convulsions to bring it up...going back thru the band.

Or, are you just sliming it up.

If you vomit...get a slight unfill as that's not good.

Sliming? Well, do you mind it? If not... enjoy the weightloss. If so, get a slight unfill so you can actually digest what you eat.

Congrats! You've done so well!

:ohmy:

I actually don't exercise like I know I should. I maybe get 30 minutes, 2-3 times a week. On the weekends it's more with yard work and other activities.

As far as foods - I found that bad foods go down just as easy before so I try to stay away from them. I still have some now and then, but it's a struggle for me.

I'm starting to plataeu now, though... :huh2: So, I'm working through that now.

Posting here and reading about everyone helps me a lot. I feel normal here, and not so alone with the problems that come up.

After you vomit, you should rest your stomach with a day of fluids only. Part of the reason people vomit daily is because the first time irritates the stomach, makes the stoma swell, and that predisposes you to more vomiting the next time you try to eat or drink.

Daily vomiting is NOT normal--whether it is the "PB" or whatever. It is a sign that something is wrong. Often it is a matter of just letting your stomach rest and recover with full liquids or even a slight unfill for a bit. But if you don't let it rest and recover, this can lead to problems with your band.

You say you can eat a lot, but WHAT are you able to eat? Do you have "soft food syndrome" where you eat a lot of soft foods because anything more solid won't stay down? If you can't eat solid lean Protein and keep it down, you are more likely than not too tight.

Doing this daily can lead to a band slip in the future. I would strongly encourage you to pursue this further with your band doc. In the meanwhile, rest your stomach with a day or two of liquids, get lots of Water in, and try to make sure you slow down and chew chew chew when you do start eating again.

I hope you can resolve this soon!

I am experiencing that as well. I just got my second fill and up to 5.8cc in my band. I have had liquids x2 days since the fill. I thought I would TRY soft foods today and took 1 bite of soft sauteed carrots and mac and cheese. Instantly I had sharp pain in the middle of my chest. I started vomitting this thick stringy clear mucous. Very little food came up with it. There was a lot of burping too with regurg. What exactly is this? Did I just eat the wrong food or not chew enough. What is PBing? I am still new at this and learning the rough way.

When you "throw up" what comes up? What you describe sounds more like "PBing" than "vomitting" -- so get detailed because advice will change depending on which you're experiecing.

When you throw up, is it as though the contents of your stomach are coming up? E.g. is there acid, food from yesterday, etc? (If "yes" then you need to log off and call your surgeon)

Or is it bits of whatever you're currently eating along with some saliva and maybe really thick "mucus" stuff, and quite possibly a good deal of abdominal/band-area discomfort? (If yes, then continue reading)

Gulping Water while banded -- why are you even doing that? The "pouch" can only hold so much. Anything it can't hold that won't pass quick enough comes out the other end, aka your mouth. So if gulping Water causes you to bring the water back up, that seems like a pretty easy "stop gulping"... no?

Since it comes so suddenly after food I'm thinking PB which means 1) you're too tight or 2) you're eating too much or 3) you're eating too fast or 4) you aren't chewing well enough or 5) you're trying to swallow too much at once or 6) any combination of the above.

Post more info and we can help if that's the case. If it's not and you're truly VOMITTING then you need to seek medical care and most likely an antiemitic, if you don't have one on hand.

:thumbup: Ah well