Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is weight loss rate slower with Lap Band?

New to the forum, and considering Lap Band and Gastric Bypass.

A couple of questions-

Why is Lap-Band so much slower in dropping weight? I think I understand the mechanics of both procedures but this difference eludes me.

Why does the Lap Band seem to stop at 50% of the extra weight you need to lose?

Thanks!

I do know that you don't have the malabsorption so you absorb all the calories you take in.

I don't think you do stop at 50%. There are plenty who have reached their goal. However, I do think you do have to try a bit harder the closer you get to goal. I know some struggle, I'm one of them, but its me that is keeping me from losing the rest of my weight. I am the one making bad choices. I know if I kick up the exercise, and follow the rulse of the band, I will get to goal. I started doing it recently and have already lost some weight, so I know I can get to goal - I just have to be determined to stay away from those darn carb demons!

Edited by Sunshine2
spelling - I hate when I mispell words :)

I'm a newbie too, and just got banded last week, but I'll share what I know...

I was told that at my clinic, the patients' success rate is 80% that you will attain your goal. Which means 20% will still choose to not change their diet and way of live.

The band is a tool, its not a miracle worker. Its like if you were to try to quit smoking, stick a patch on your arm and expect to never smoke again. It takes some effort on your part also.

So, that being said, if you make wise choices and dont eat ice cream and potato chips and other foods that are high cal, low nutrient, you should be able to lose 1-2 pounds a week until you reach your goal.

However, i was also told that this isn't a diet. This is going to change how you eat. My counsellor was banded and she said "sure, i still have chicken wings, but I only have 3-4 and then I'm full". So unlike other diets where you can't have this and that, you can eat anything you want, but you will be restricted as to the VOLUME of what you choose.

If, once you're banded, you can continue to make healthy, nutrient rich, low carb, choices, I would think that the weight will continue to drop, right to goal....

Good luck! :ohmy:

The reason weight loss is slower with the band is that we absorb 100% of the calories we eat. GB patients only absorb 50% of the calories they eat. Both work but GB has additional healthy risks.

The lap band does not stop at 50% of excess weight loss. However, to get to goal you will need to change your lifestyle. Exercise, eat healthier foods and follow the band rules. If you are willing to do that you should be able to lose all excess weight. Some people don't even lose 50% of their excess weight because they make bad choices and eat food that goes right through the band and don't follow the rules. Being successful with the lap band is up to us. The band won't automatically make you lose weight. Same goes for GB patients. If you don't change your lifestyle you can gain all the weight back. I've seen it happen. No matter which surgery you choose you must work with it to be successful for life.

It is a great tool! I love my band!

There is nothing about the band itself that stops you at 50% weightloss. Anyone with the band has the potential to go on to reach 100%+ of excess weight.

With the band you're more accountable for the foods you eat. Unlike malabsorptive procedures, you will "absorb" what you eat.

The biggest factor in whether or not someone reaches goal is them. Their behaviors, the degree to which they're successful in changing them, etc.

As for the weightloss being slower, again - that's likely to happen with a restrictive procedure v. malabsorptive. On any given day we could eat in such a way as to prevent weightloss. That's why this is called "the thinking person's weightloss surgery." We still have to own our actions and choices, nothing is a "hand out".

And again on the slower weightloss, I don't know. I'm not convinced. I lost more weight more quickly than bypass friends with similar amounts to lose. Now that we're all 2+ years out I'm still losing, albeit slower, and many of them have regained. I think we'll see the long-term numbers changing in the next few years, in favor of the band, because we get the whole "adjustability" thing, more so than a "one shot deal" that either works or doesn't.

If you type "compare gastric bypass and lapband surgery" in a online search, you'll see some good sites with lots of info comparing both surgeries.