Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, could someone tell me what exactly erosion of the band is and how common is this to happen?? Thanks Stacey

The band doesn't erode. Erosion is when the band "erodes" through or into the organ. The search feature will bring up this information, as well as current stats. You may want to see what you can find using it. Here are two of the first hits:

What is erosion?

What is Erosion?

Hi Stacey,

im not sure of what it feels like or the symptoms. But im getting the Realize band put in. Apparently it can withstand more pressure, therefore less chance of an erosion.

Hi, could someone tell me what exactly erosion of the band is and how common is this to happen?? Thanks Stacey

It's when the band erodes into the stomach. It kind of grows into the stomach wall and bits of it end up on the inside vs. the outside of the stomach.

Global stats are 1.3% yet some docs have as few as 0.001% erosion stats and others have as much as a 20% erosion stats. If a doc doesn't have at least 500-1000 bands he probably doesn't have any stat at all yet. That's why it is critical to go to a very experienced surgeon with established numbers. Someone with fewer bands hasn't had time for their patients to erode and realize they are doing something wrong.

There are many theories on what causes it but no real proof yet. IOW, nobody knows for sure what causes it. I think it's usually the doc's fault, not always but usually. However, there are times that it is the patient's fault. Fills that are too tight for too long, doing your own fills and causing bacteria to travel up the tubing and to the band, etc.

Hi Stacey,

im not sure of what it feels like or the symptoms. But im getting the Realize band put in. Apparently it can withstand more pressure, therefore less chance of an erosion.

That is all theory and sales pitch at this point. There are no long term studies to back that up. But I realize J&J is making those claims.

Each time a new band comes out in the US or elsewhere the company has to sell their bands so they do tend to make claims. J&J has also claimed that people are less hungry and lose weight faster but they haven't proven those claims either.

I hope it turns out to be true, when people are banded for long periods of time (10-20 years) with this band then we'll know one way or another.

I really think it is the surgeon that is responsible for most erosion but I can't defend that claim anymore than J&J can claim fewer erosions since nobody knows for sure what causes erosion to begin with. If they knew what caused it they might be able to do something more to prevent it.

If two surgeons use the same band and one has a 0.001% erosion stat and the other has a 20% erosion stat, one of them is doing something wrong. Same thing with one having a 0.001% vs. another surgeon who has 4% erosion stat.

In all honesty the guy with the 20% erosion stat had a whole different problem going on. But still, since nobody knows what causes it how can a company claim their band has fewer erosions? Surgeon stats are the issue for the most part, not the band.