Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

has anyone taking ibuprofen afterwards? I just see tylenol?

Had an Upper GI today at the Brigham. Make sure you're there 15 minutes early. They're super efficient and I started right on time. It took less than 25 minutes, start to finish.

As far as the ibuprofen goes, once you're banded, it can be dangerous because you don't have digestive juices in the upper pouch to help it dissolve. Once your band has restriction, it's possible that the pills will just sit on top. It can cause ulcers, which in turn can then cause erosion of your band. It's ok to take on occasion (I've just asked my surgeon this recently!) but not for regular or long term use. They have liquid tylenol available. You should switch to liquid and chewables whenever possible once you're banded. I had a sport-related injury that my orthopedic suggested I take ibuprofen for...and my surgeon said it would be ok as long as it wasn't frequent or long term. They also gave me a pill splitter when I was discharged from surgery. I used that just to be safe.

Remember--no gum, liquids, or anything in your mouth (brushing teeth is ok!) after midnight tonight for you! Good luck!

THank you so much for the info, but what about liquid ibuprofen? its the only thing that helps with cramps......I've already bought my chewable vitamins, liquid Calcium and liquid ibuprofen......any suggestions on the 2 weeks of shakes? I've seen this site www.focus2wellness.com and was thinking of ordering their Soups for the two weeks post op.....thank you for the previous info as well

I've never seen the liquid ibuprofen......so I haven't any idea. I'm sure that would be ok. It's not that the medicine is an issue. It sitting in your new pouch and potentially causing ulcers is the issue....but ask!!

I saw a quote in Runner's World today that has had me thinking all day and thought I'd share with all of you (paraphrased because I didn't steal the magazine from the gym!) ----very fitting for our WL journeys. "It's not amazing that I finished. It's amazing that I had the courage to begin."

So I had ordered Unjury powder for my pre-op diet which started last thursday and everyday I have had it I have had diarrhea and can't stop throwing up. Needless to say I have called them to see if I can return it because I just can't stomach the stuff--before my surgery. BUT on a happy note I found some AMAZING whey Protein product. Its called Syntrax nector. it has 90 cal no fat no sugar and 23 grams of protein. I got the ice tea flavor, tropical punch flavor [forgot the name] and a Cappuccino flavor. The tea and fruit punch is made from real tea and fruit, respectively. They do not have aspertame in it which Unjury does have. And by looking at the ingredients you actually know what they are! It also mixes so well its not even funny! [They are sooo filling also] !! I am a fan of juices instead of chocolate shakes for a meal and THEY DONT UPSET MY STOMACH!!! :sad: some of the best tasting stuff! I was getting discouraged because I couldn't stomach the unjury and was thinking that I wasn't going to be able to follow the pre-op diet or get filled/quench my thirst before/after my surgery. I am so happy that I found a Protein Powder that I am excited about drinking and not dreading it!! I recommend it! SI03 INC.

I found some AMAZING whey Protein product. Its called Syntrax nector.

This sounds like it's right up my alley! Thanks for sharing. I was just sitting here thinking about how I will supplement my protein intake and this sounds great. I too like juice over shakes.

Heidi, thanks for your encouragement. I'm very excited. Got my confirmation calls. Getting banded at the Faulkner on the 24th of Sept. at 7:30 a.m. Very psyched now and much less nervous. I know it won't be easy but the thought of feeling and looking better is really exciting me now.

Yay!

Had my upper GI, done.........approved, Surgery at the Faulker with Dr. T on Sept 22. I'm gonna have to work my pre op diet as I'm in Vegas for a week then only home for 10 days before surgery, so my two week will be 10 days, doc said not a big issue. I also found beneprotein they say its better than Unjury, also naked juice has Protein called naked protein and its already mixed they are lik 1.85 a bottle which equal basically to the other stuff, also anyone try the Protein Shots? 2 oz and they pack like 26 grams of protein, there is even one with one shot packs 42 grams of protein.........and they can be mixed in if you can shoot them. I'm excited, nervous, etc.........been working out 3 times a week with Zumba classes and one day of yoga, but this heat in Boston in awful

Had an Upper GI today at the Brigham. Make sure you're there 15 minutes early. They're super efficient and I started right on time. It took less than 25 minutes, start to finish.

As far as the ibuprofen goes, once you're banded, it can be dangerous because you don't have digestive juices in the upper pouch to help it dissolve. Once your band has restriction, it's possible that the pills will just sit on top. It can cause ulcers, which in turn can then cause erosion of your band. It's ok to take on occasion (I've just asked my surgeon this recently!) but not for regular or long term use. They have liquid tylenol available. You should switch to liquid and chewables whenever possible once you're banded. I had a sport-related injury that my orthopedic suggested I take ibuprofen for...and my surgeon said it would be ok as long as it wasn't frequent or long term. They also gave me a pill splitter when I was discharged from surgery. I used that just to be safe.

Remember--no gum, liquids, or anything in your mouth (brushing teeth is ok!) after midnight tonight for you! Good luck!

NO Ibufrofen!?!?!? What!??!? I take this for eveything. I didn't know I should't take it. When I have my period I always take FOUR because my cramps get so bad. :blink:

THank you so much for the info, but what about liquid ibuprofen? its the only thing that helps with cramps......I've already bought my chewable vitamins, liquid Calcium and liquid ibuprofen......any suggestions on the 2 weeks of shakes? I've seen this site www.focus2wellness.com and was thinking of ordering their Soups for the two weeks post op.....thank you for the previous info as well

When I'm really tight I take the childrens motrin. You just have to double the dose. It can get expensive doing it this way too. :-) I here ya on the cramps thing. It's the only thing that helps me too.

I've never seen the liquid ibuprofen......so I haven't any idea. I'm sure that would be ok. It's not that the medicine is an issue. It sitting in your new pouch and potentially causing ulcers is the issue....but ask!!

I saw a quote in Runner's World today that has had me thinking all day and thought I'd share with all of you (paraphrased because I didn't steal the magazine from the gym!) ----very fitting for our WL journeys. "It's not amazing that I finished. It's amazing that I had the courage to begin."

I love that quote Paige TFS!!

Why'd you have to have the GI??? Everything ok???

Hi Everyone, I have a few questions, does anyone have Phyllis's email address I need to ask her a question and I have a question or two that I hope someone can answer: During the 2 weeks Protein Shakes etc, has anyone tried the Protein Shots? they are 2 oz and pack anywhere from 26 to 42 grams of Protein, and I've been seeing horror stories of losing hair, is this true even if you get in the protein and the Vitamins? I would like to say on top of this and if anyone knows how to prevent this please let me know. Thanks

Heidi,

I've had a problem keeping down food. I don't get "stuck" per se...the food just sits in my upper chest for hours. It's not painful, but about 3 hours after eating---if I drink anything, it's like flushing a clogged toilet. Everything comes back out! The upper GI didn't show a slip, though. I'll be curious to see what happens. I didn't know about the Ibuprofen until I went to the support group meetings. My surgeon never mentioned it and I never read it anywhere, either!

Boston Lady,

The hair falling out isn't typically an issue related to people who are banded. Technically, you shouldn't have a problem with adequate nutrition should you follow the directions from your doctor. Some people might have that problem, but it's not common as with the GB. I don't have Phyllis' e-mail. Sorry. I'd assume a call to the office might help with that, though... :blink:

you already got your GI results? thats good.you still feel the food sitting after your unfill?

Heidi Dr V is very anti ibuprofen and Ive only taken in the childrens dosage and washed it down with lots of Water.< /p>

Lapband.com - LAP-BAND® System Risk and Complications Information

"Anti-inflammatory drugs that may irritate the stomach, such as aspirin and NSAIDs, should be used with caution"

No official results yet, but I could see it. It was exactly where it belonged....

Hey, just as an FYI: I had a bathing suit from Lands' End that I bought last summer. I only wore it twice but it doesn't fit. I found out that I could return it! Lands End will take back any of their clothing at ANY time if purchased through the catalog so they have your info on file. You don't need receipts, and it can be worn. So for those of you who don't want to buy many clothes, consider Lands End....if you order in the Sears store it will be shipped to your home for free, but you can return any purchases to the store. (I don't work for them, I SWEAR!...I'm just totally sold on their return policy!)

Bostonlady found my "Dietary Guidelines for Laparoscopic Gastric Banding" packet and Phyllis email is pthomason(at)partners(dot)com

like L2T7 mentioned getting in enough Protein isnt so much an issue bc we dont have the malabsorption like the bypass folks have. Ive tried the shots and they tasted pretty good but I couldnt afford them on a long term basis. There is also some controversy about how much protein we can process at one time. Ive heard its around 36 grams of protein at a time (unless you are a bodybuilder)...anything higher than that is just filtered out. It doesnt mean its bad for you just that more isnt always better........Wish I could get that one answered

Edited by tinywishes123

Heidi,

I've had a problem keeping down food. I don't get "stuck" per se...the food just sits in my upper chest for hours. It's not painful, but about 3 hours after eating---if I drink anything, it's like flushing a clogged toilet. Everything comes back out! The upper GI didn't show a slip, though. I'll be curious to see what happens. I didn't know about the Ibuprofen until I went to the support group meetings. My surgeon never mentioned it and I never read it anywhere, either!

Boston Lady,

The hair falling out isn't typically an issue related to people who are banded. Technically, you shouldn't have a problem with adequate nutrition should you follow the directions from your doctor. Some people might have that problem, but it's not common as with the GB. I don't have Phyllis' e-mail. Sorry. I'd assume a call to the office might help with that, though... :confused:

Paige~Did they see anything wrong???