Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Let's hope honesty NEVER bounces you from the board. It's my sincere hope that anyone seeking information about this procedure should be aware not only of the successes of the band, but also of the frustrations, disappointments, and struggles. We've all had them....and we all continue with them. If not interested in knowing "the dark side" then they shouldn't be reading. (I know I never bothered to before MY surgery!!! I just didn't want to know!!!)

Hope you're all having a good day. Can't wait for the long weekend! :thumbup:

I feel the same way as many of you,,,,,,,,Was this REALLY worth it???

I have lost 50 lbs since sept 2008 & the last 8 was in the last few months. When you want to lose weight you are so desperate & will do almost ANYTHING. I went into this thinking there was less risk & I could have it removed some day. I now know that insurance probably won't remove unless there is a issue w/ the band. Then if you do have it removed there will probably me permenant stomach damage. SCARY!!!!

Oh, don't misunderstand, Heidi--- I'm not regretting my decision at all. I wouldn't even consider the GB surgery and this was my ticket to finding a healthier me. I know others have had different experiences than that but the reality remains the same--if you don't decrease caloric intake, you won't lose weight. It's all in the Math that I refuse to do. :ohmy: I realize that it's simple for "normal" people, but not for us. We're not wired like them--none of us would have gone to this extent if it were that simple! It's about behaviors---nearly 38 years for me to change. It won't happen overnight, but if I can change some of the, even if only for a limited time, then I have a fighting chance. At 315 pounds, I didn't have that chance....

We all have bad days when we think we've made a mistake. We're on this journey for a reason. It's something we have to figure out on our own, for ourselves....

Hope you all enjoyed the long weekend. I had pizza for dinner last night with my family. Could only manage one piece and really ended up getting rid of most of that--no milk required! Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely. :)

As a side note---I think we all need to find a way to accept responsibility WITHOUT using it as an excuse to beat ourselves up. Most of us are guilty of doing far too much of that. Truth be told, the way we talk to ourselves can strongly influence how we function. It's easier to put ourselves down for making bad choices than to force ourselves to make good choices. It makes me so sad when I think about all of the negative self talk we do---but it really keeps us in that horrible, non-reactive place and prevents us from progressing. Just for today, I'm going to be better to myself--treating myself the way I'd treat my friends.

Edited by notateechanow

You have come a long way, notatee, and you are still doing very well.

I wanted to ask you about

" Could only manage one piece and really ended up getting rid of most of that--no milk required! Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely."

Is that purging to 'get rid' of the pizza, or just tossing it away because you couldn';t finish it?

As for calories,

I find that is I deprive myself of something 100% I go into rebel mode and want to eat tons of it.

Normal skinny people can want something, have 1 piece or a taste and that;s the end. My downfall when I get hungry is 'pure rebellion'. Just curious because I can eat 3 slices easy over time with a tight band.

I am considering getting one more fill, but I don't want to be asking for trouble .

I plan on attending the support group at BWH. Has anybody been? What's it like?

I haven't attended in a while, but usually there is a focus along with a little discussion lead by the Nutritionist such as Protein, and then the floor is open for sharing on any band topic..what people can and cannot tolerate with their level of fill,what is good to eat with the band, as well as pre and post op experiences.

If you have not attended , give it a go! The people there are friendly.

Thank you!

I'm going tonight..wish me luck

How did you like the group? Many of us have started going to the meetings at the Faulkner instead because the parking is easier and the group smaller.

Hope you guys are all well. I found the greatest product today--Pepperidge Farm bagel thins. I toasted mine really well to be sure, but it was my first "bagel" since banding nearly 2 1/2 years ago!!! Loved it! Was thinking I might try having a sandwich sometime on one of these--something else I haven't had in over 2 years.

Headed for an unfill on Monday. I can eat just about anything now--and have little restriction; however, I'm having heartburn all the time (when I eat, when I don't eat, when I'm just waking up, when I'm out busy....all day long!) and take so many Tums that I'm tired of it. I never had any heartburn or reflux before banding. I'm ready. I'll just have to focus more on my diet to avoid the gain from loosening the band....

How are you guys doing? Jay, you've been quite quiet! Blue, how about you???

Sorry about the heartburn - that is what I had before my unfill in January. I am finally going for a small fill on Monday. I have been on prilosec and it has really helped.

Thanks, Tova.

The baffling part is that I've been far more filled in the past. I'm just frustrated because I never had heartburn or reflux before the band. I'm not overfilled. Last night I ate 2 pieces of Quesadilla without any issues whatsoever. I figure I'll just get an unfill until I'm comfortable again. I can't deal with eating Tums for snack every day!

You have come a long way, notatee, and you are still doing very well.

I wanted to ask you about

" Could only manage one piece and really ended up getting rid of most of that--no milk required! Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely."

Is that purging to 'get rid' of the pizza, or just tossing it away because you couldn';t finish it?

As for calories,

I find that is I deprive myself of something 100% I go into rebel mode and want to eat tons of it.

Normal skinny people can want something, have 1 piece or a taste and that;s the end. My downfall when I get hungry is 'pure rebellion'. Just curious because I can eat 3 slices easy over time with a tight band.

I am considering getting one more fill, but I don't want to be asking for trouble .

Purging.....but as for the eating over time, I don't linger. It's the one thing that really helps me. I don't eat for long. If I can't eat something over 30-40 minutes, I won't bother. I have issues with the compulsive stuff----eating what I know won't stay down while leaning over the garbage disposal.

notatee...I feel so badly that you are suffering from the reflux and the compulsion. I am afraid of you dislodging your band with the purging, though.

I have never experienced PB or vomiting with my band and being emetophobic I make sure I avoid the possibility of anything like that happening. (God help me if I ever get a stomach virus ).

I understand that issues like reflux, heartburn etc which causes one to have unfills is a classic cause for band removal and bypass. would you ever consider getting that done, or do you think you would find a way to once again develop the same eating behaviors after a new procedure?

I would like to go in and get another fill, but I am afraid my band will be too tight. It IS still trying to work for me, though.

I went to a hotel dinner/seminar the other night and the food, though scant, was very very very tasty and well seasoned(I believe it was Nouvelle Cuisine). HOWEVER it was breast of chicken. I had my salad ,vegetables , some of the rice, and a few bites of the chicken and my band began to scream STOP. I tried to ignore it since everyone around me was enjoying the meal and took a few more bites. So, of course I had wait a long time before resuming the meal because I couldn't even swallow my saliva. By the time I could, everyone was through with desert, tables were being cleared and the lecture was under way. Lesson learned? Don;t go out to eat if chicken is on the menu, and YES,listen to my band which is still trying to work for me. Now, if I could only get my behaviors under control to work with the band.....

Hey, notatee...try and get the good Dr R to at least crack a wee smile tomorrow :-) , and good luck on your unfill and healing up from the reflux and heartburn issues..

Ok friends....This week is "It"...I get my lap band on Wednesday, the 28th! We just got back from the Bahamas late last night. I even got up enough courage to step on the scale and was happy to see that I didn't gain...I actually lost a couple of pounds....thanks to my "protein shake campaign". I will say I had a few "bahama mamas" down there, but I did keep it in check. There is also nothing more motivating than seeing vacation pictures knowing...hoping....that it will be the last time I looked this terrible! I am gearing myself up for the whole ordeal, both physically and emotionally. Any tips for surgery or the few days after? I need to go search for all that stuff....can't believe it's my turn! EEEKS!:eek::wink:

You must have had a grand time down the in the B's.

Just a few more days now and you will have your band..not a bad procedure at all.

I made sure I had plenty of stuff like Jello, bullion/broth,water,G2/and also pedia sure popsicles and sugar free popsicles on hand. You will be able to get out to the store within 2-3 days, so don't worry.

Others will post with more, I am sure.

Best of luck Bost.mom.

I think this is a million dollar question - I too never suffered from heartburn or reflux and then all of the sudden I couldn't sleep no matter what. I read somewhere that this is one of the possible side effects of banding ( still worth it!!!)

Ask Dr R for some prilosec or something like that it works like a charm!!!

Hope you feel better soon