Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

All this talk of PBing, weight gain, getting stuck, is making me nervous.

Less than 2 weeks for me now. I started my liquid diet and have lost about 4 lbs, which is good, cuz I have my preop appt. on Monday and it will bring me back to my last weight check..10lbs down, hoping to lose another 5 before surgery.

Can someone answer this question for me? Do we have to pay for fills or are they covered by insurance, at least say the first couple? I have Blue Cross. I can see how all the filling and unfilling can get expensive if we pay out of pocket.

TIA

Sandy :eek:)

Hi Sandy,

Don't worry. I have not experienced any of the PBing ect.. As for fills/unfills I have BC/BS too & mine are always free unlimited. :tongue2: Great job on your weight loss already! :wub:

Well 10 days and counting, just got back from Vegas with the hubby had a great time, so I started the pre op diet today I know a little late by couldn't do much in Vegas.....Congrats Heidi. So any last words of wisdom? I'm not really nervous, although the hubby and my mom are, I have full faith in my surgeon, feel good with my choice of the realize band and comfy with the research in general and all the great info here on this forum. Thanks everyone for all the info, its helping on this wonderful journey

Hey there!

Glad you had a good time in Vegas! Last Words of Wisdom~ You'll do awesome, work your band, there will be hard times........especially in the begining........& the middle .......& the end lol! J/k You'll do great!!!!!! :tongue2:

Has anyone confirmed if there will be a lap band support meeting at B&W tomorrow night? I didn't see anything in the postings but might have missed it. I sent Phyllis an email a few minutes ago and will let you know if I hear anything.

Take Care!

Tanya:smile2:

Hey there!

Glad you had a good time in Vegas! Last Words of Wisdom~ You'll do awesome, work your band, there will be hard times........especially in the begining........& the middle .......& the end lol! J/k You'll do great!!!!!! :mad2:

Thank you Heidi, I can't wait to see if I'm up to typing the day after, I wonder if they have internet at the hospital, I'm gonna ask tomorrow if I can bring my laptop LOL, has anyone done that?

I had my laptop because I brought a movie and headphones. They do have free wi-fi, BUT I had my ex bring my laptop in AFTER surgery. I didn't have anyone at the hospital during my surgery....so I didn't have anywhere secure to put it during the surgery. The hospital will suggest you not bring valuables to surgery as they won't be responsible....So...have someone bring it to you, if possible. Good luck!

The site is giving be a hard time today SUPER SLOW!

I'm so frustrated!!! What else can I do to lose weight?!?!? I mean come on......I had weightloss surgery & I still struggle!!!! I am measuring , counting, exercising, what else do I have to do!?!?!?!? Sorry for the RANT.

Good Saturday morning to you all! I have been reading and lurking and seeking info! I just had my physical with my pcp and she referred me to the informational session at the Faulkner coming up in October. I have a BMI of 38...but I am wondering if having PCOS and being treated for anxiety/depression would qualify me for BCBS/HMO blue. My blood pressure was a little elevated but not sure what they will consider for a comorbidity. Any ideas? I am so encouraged by all of your stories/will power/ and dedication to yourselves. What will happen at these informational sessions? Looking forward to it.

Good Saturday morning to you all! I have been reading and lurking and seeking info! I just had my physical with my pcp and she referred me to the informational session at the Faulkner coming up in October. I have a BMI of 38...but I am wondering if having PCOS and being treated for anxiety/depression would qualify me for BCBS/HMO blue. My blood pressure was a little elevated but not sure what they will consider for a comorbidity. Any ideas? I am so encouraged by all of your stories/will power/ and dedication to yourselves. What will happen at these informational sessions? Looking forward to it.

Usually you're all set if your PCP is willing to refer, but don't hold me to that. As far as the info session goes, it isn't all that exciting. They tell you the basics, you get a folder of info, and they tell you how to get started......

Good luck! I went to the session in October 2 years ago now....the start of my new life. Hope it works out for you.:(

Hi There, just a quick note, usually it takes about 6 - 8 weeks to see the surgeon for you first appt, so do as much as you can before then IE, psyche eval, sleep study.have your PCP refer you for that, now if you snore you could get a pass with Mild Sleep Apnea if your other stuff doesn't pass thru the insurance. The sooner you do a sleep study the sooner you could get a cpap machine which will guarantee it. Remember, some insurances make you wait the 6 months by going to a nutritionist. I have my surgery in 4 days and feel really good about it. IF you take care these tests ahead of time, you will only need the dye swallow and labs and your surgery,depending on the surgeon will probaby be in about 3-4 weeks, that was my case. Also, I"ve read on the boards that some of the surgeons have a long wait.....if you can pick a doctor at Faulkner, all my appts have had a minimum wait and the receptionist gave me all my appt right up to my first appt for my first fill if I get one. I have Dr. Tavokolizadeh and his receptionist Yvette, I can't say enough good things about them and their office. All appts are on a Wednesday, calls are always returned, questions are always answered. Just an FYI, if you decide to go on disability afterwards for 3 weeks they office charges $20 to fill out the paperwork. I just thought it would be easier to stay out 3 weeks and go back to work with only 1 week of the mushy stage, you know how nosey people can get and I felt it would give me enough time to adjust and deal with any issues should they come up. Good luck and be blessed.

4 days and counting.............6 lbs down, feeling great.....lapband country here I come........I guess the only issue I"m having is the worrying about how the gas pains will hit me, I"ve such stories about that on this site. But I 'm stock with every gas eliviator known to man lol ready in my after surgery box near my recliner when I get home. I'm also bracing myself for the port area pain, seems thats a big one here on the boards as well. But, I'm not gonna dwell I'm gonna stay positive, this journey has gone very well thusfar and I'm going to continue to believe it will continue. What a beautiful today. Have a great weekend everyone and can't wait to enter the sisterhood of the lapband.

4 days and counting.............6 lbs down, feeling great.....lapband country here I come........I guess the only issue I"m having is the worrying about how the gas pains will hit me, I"ve such stories about that on this site. But I 'm stock with every gas eliviator known to man lol ready in my after surgery box near my recliner when I get home. I'm also bracing myself for the port area pain, seems thats a big one here on the boards as well. But, I'm not gonna dwell I'm gonna stay positive, this journey has gone very well thusfar and I'm going to continue to believe it will continue. What a beautiful today. Have a great weekend everyone and can't wait to enter the sisterhood of the lapband.

Way to go BostonLady. I'm right there with you. I'm being banded at the faulkner this week too. Getting excited and a lot less nervous. I'm wondering about the gas thing too. I need to go stock up on some things, any suggestions?

Also is CIB enough Protein to get me through the liquid phase. I haven't really done much research on the protein supplements out there and I know there are a ton of posts on this thread alone. Just don't have time to reread right now.

Can't believe it's my turn, it's been 7 months of appointments and tests.

On another side note, I like to follow the newbies. Anyone hear from singingintherain. Haven't heard from her in a while, hope she is doing ok.

Way to go BostonLady. I'm right there with you. I'm being banded at the faulkner this week too. Getting excited and a lot less nervous. I'm wondering about the gas thing too. I need to go stock up on some things, any suggestions?

Also is CIB enough Protein to get me through the liquid phase. I haven't really done much research on the protein supplements out there and I know there are a ton of posts on this thread alone. Just don't have time to reread right now.

Can't believe it's my turn, it's been 7 months of appointments and tests.

On another side note, I like to follow the newbies. Anyone hear from singingintherain. Haven't heard from her in a while, hope she is doing ok.

From the research I did and I did alot, but remember I'm not banded yet either LOL, I'm getting banded on Tuesday and you? GNC has this stuff with 50 grams of protein its called 50 gram slam..........I bought those with nectar Syntrax, if call Nectar Syntrax you can get an 11 pack of assorted flavors for 4.99 plus 5.00 shipping and its high on protein, that way you can try before you invest, also the muscle milk light is WAY cheaper at Walmart and I'm drinking one now and its descent plus 15grams of protein in 8.25 ounces. I also have my heating pad ready, g2 gateraide incase I can't get much Water down first day or so that way you stay hydrated. And I bought a few different of the international flavors coffee Creamers to mix with some of the powder incase I need to change the taste as well as sugar free Torani flavored syrups........I got the Bariatric Advantage chewable vitamins for lapband patients and liquid b Vitamins as well as lemon flavored flaxseed oil. In doing my research I found that taking coconut oil with your vitamins helps to make they absorb faster, they have recommnded that to alot of the gastric by pass patients, but I'm trying to make sure I don't go thru any losing hair phases. ALso, DOllar Tree has chewable gas tabs......count of 100 in the bottle. DOllar tree also has instant tums that you put on your tongue for indegestion. ANd I also got the Milk of Magnesia just in case, I've heard people have nede that as well. Perhaps we can be lapband buddies and help each other thru this intial phases........

From the research I did and I did alot, but remember I'm not banded yet either LOL, I'm getting banded on Tuesday and you? GNC has this stuff with 50 grams of Protein its called 50 gram slam..........I bought those with nectar Syntrax, if call Nectar Syntrax you can get an 11 pack of assorted flavors for 4.99 plus 5.00 shipping and its high on protein, that way you can try before you invest, also the muscle milk light is WAY cheaper at Walmart and I'm drinking one now and its descent plus 15grams of protein in 8.25 ounces. I also have my heating pad ready, g2 gateraide incase I can't get much Water down first day or so that way you stay hydrated. And I bought a few different of the international flavors coffee Creamers to mix with some of the powder incase I need to change the taste as well as sugar free Torani flavored syrups........I got the Bariatric Advantage chewable vitamins for lapband patients and liquid b Vitamins as well as lemon flavored flaxseed oil. In doing my research I found that taking coconut oil with your vitamins helps to make they absorb faster, they have recommnded that to alot of the gastric by pass patients, but I'm trying to make sure I don't go thru any losing hair phases. ALso, DOllar Tree has chewable gas tabs......count of 100 in the bottle. DOllar tree also has instant tums that you put on your tongue for indegestion. ANd I also got the Milk of Magnesia just in case, I've heard people have nede that as well. Perhaps we can be lapband buddies and help each other thru this intial phases........

Wow....talk about being type A, huh? :blushing: Don't waste your money on buying too much. Seriously....your taste in things will change once you're banded. What you like today will not necessarily be something you like or can tolerate next week or even tonight. As far as "absorbing" enough protein goes---listen to what your nutritionist says. They see hundreds of patients a month. They've been through this. They will be your best guide. I have to say, there is a point where too much info is just that---too much info. You--as a Lab Band patient--won't need liquid B. A Multi-Vitamin and Calcium are all that they recommend. You won't have problems of malabsorption once you're back on solid foods---that is an affliction suffered by GB patients, not LB patients. I really think you're over researching-----people who are already banded----what's your take here?