Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

I requested the Faulkner, even if I had to wait longer. I am on for May 28th.

Hi, I did request the faulkner, but for some reason they had me booked there and said my time was not available and that I had to go to the brigham instead. Oh Well. As of this afternoon my surgery has been cancelled for now. Going to take some extra precautions and consult with a cardiologist after all, per my PCP. I'm a little dissapointed as I was finally getting over my fears and now it's put off. Just a little bump in the road.

WELCOME, Viv!!

While there are definitely times when we've all questioned our own ability to succeed, I think your commitment to having this done will encourage you more than you can ever expect. This isn't the easy way out. The band won't do the work for you---however, it WILL provide you some control that you likely haven't been able to sustain for long periods of time in the past.

The first few months after surgery are undoubtedly the hardest. You will know the band has been implanted, but it doesn't seem to "do" anything initially. Be forewarned that it may take a few fills before you experience any restriction. With the help and support of those who have been banded, I have been able to finally lose weight AND keep it off. While family, friends, and even the staff of the program can be helpful, no one can truly know the frustration of living with this weight and the agony of feeling the sense of failure again....when it doesn't happen instantaneously. This website, along with the actual support group meetings have been the key to my success. Whenever I felt like giving up, there has always been someone to pick me up and drag me along---but someone who has been through the same experience.

Know that your "marathon" won't be easy, but I expect it will be worth the effort. We're here for you and wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted!! :thumbdown: Paige

Thank you so much Paige! I really appreciate the hearty welcome! I am feeling more hopeful today. After feeling elated with the initial news of my approval and preop meeting, I began to "mourn" my old self. I said goodbye to a couple of my favorite foods on Friday and Saturday nights and this morning, awoke excited with the prospect of being healthy and "smaller". I don't know that I will ever be a size 10 but man, if I could be a 14, that would be heaven! I am going to go through my closet today and pack up all my big clothes (before I lost my pre-op weight) for charity, and check out my smaller clothes - oh yes, I have those clothes that "someday, I will fit into" and pysche myself that indeed, I will wear them - this time, for REAL! From your post, filled with wisdom and experience, I will continue to remind myself that my transformation will not happen overnight but will be a long journey.

Viv,

Good news---you don't have to give up your favorite foods! Stop the mourning. You truly can learn to incorporate your favorites back into daily life again, just in smaller portions. (You'd be surprised at how satisfying a few tablespoons of Ben and Jerry's can be, rather than scarfing down the entire pint!) While you'll need to exercise more moderation, you will be able to eat just about everything. All of us have different food intolerances, and some vary from one hour to the next----but I'm pleased to hear you've focused on what will be, not what you won't have again. 2 days.....good luck! :thumbdown: Paige

So I had my first meeting with Dr. Robinson April 28th. I had to make an upper GI, Psych & nutritionist appointment that day but the secretary said she would call me back to make the appointments. They did not call me back so I gave it a week then called back. They then said they would call me on Friday to book the appointments and did not call. So I called today and they took my name and number and said they would call back. What should I do? Whomever had Dr. Robinson did they have trouble making appointments?

K8

So I had my first meeting with Dr. Robinson April 28th. I had to make an upper GI, Psych & nutritionist appointment that day but the secretary said she would call me back to make the appointments. They did not call me back so I gave it a week then called back. They then said they would call me on Friday to book the appointments and did not call. So I called today and they took my name and number and said they would call back. What should I do? Whomever had Dr. Robinson did they have trouble making appointments?

K8

I'm shocked. Jennifer is usually fantastic. I'd ask if she were on vacation but it seems like it's been going on for more than the length of the standard vacation. Just keep calling back. Don't wait. I actually asked her about that when I first started working with them. If they don't call you, call them. It's not pushy. Just be polite about it. I think they get so swamped that they forget. :unsure:

I'm shocked. Jennifer is usually fantastic. I'd ask if she were on vacation but it seems like it's been going on for more than the length of the standard vacation. Just keep calling back. Don't wait. I actually asked her about that when I first started working with them. If they don't call you, call them. It's not pushy. Just be polite about it. I think they get so swamped that they forget. :thumbup:

Jennifer was off a couple of days last week, I played a lot of phone tag myself. She usually follows through, she is a very busy woman. I just wish we could book all our own appts. I find some hard to keep and have to reschedule..

So I did end up calling back today. I really felt bad about always calling back but 4 times not being called back was getting me nervous. I apologized about calling but said I wanted to make sure that I was not just being tossed around. She then scheduled me appointments. I have to call back to get the times and places for 2 appointments but overall I am happy. I just don't want my name tagged as being the annoying girl [LOL] I have my psych appointment may 11 and upper GI late may along with the dietitian appoint the beginning of june and middle of june my 2nd appointment with dr. robinson. I am nervous/excited for this process especially now that I have my appointments.

K8

Be forewarned----everyone has strange/bad experiences with the psych eval, Hamivici. She's odd. She asks strange questions and never stays on schedule. It's required by insurance and that's about it. Never admit to any issues or it'll just delay you. Be sure to say yes to everything regarding support from your family and friends....even if you don't plan to tell anyone. It's not a real psych eval. It's simply to see if you're mentally stable enough to make the decision to do this. The surgeon would have stopped somewhere had they thought you weren't a good candidate......Glad to hear you were able to get your appointments!

Paige, how would I go about finding a counselor? After trying to discuss things with my friends I think I would like someone to be financially obligated to listen to me complain. I just don't know where to start looking. Are there bariatric specific therapists?

btw, I gained a pound. Dr. R. wasn't concerned at all, I'm not that happy about it.

Paige, how would I go about finding a counselor? After trying to discuss things with my friends I think I would like someone to be financially obligated to listen to me complain. I just don't know where to start looking. Are there bariatric specific therapists?

btw, I gained a pound. Dr. R. wasn't concerned at all, I'm not that happy about it.

Jay,

Call the 800 number on your insurance card. I have Harvard Pilgrim, and to be honest, it was really frustrating. Their list of people hasn't been updated, so the first 10-15 people I called weren't taking my insurance any more. But call your insurance company. It should all be paid for by them. Ask if they offer anyone who specializes in working with weight loss surgical patients. I don't know if they will have any. I didn't have any in my area---but it's all covered by your insurance, so you should avail yourself of it!!! Sorry to hear you gained a pound. Dr. R was happy that I've lost 11 pounds since my last visit that was in DECEMBER. I wasn't....he asked why I've waited so long....

Bad news---he looked to see my "excess skin" and said I look great. No way insurance will even pay for a portion of it. Said he didn't think it would be worth the pain to have surgery.....I said I'd like to do it, even if it's self pay and will wait til Dec. (2 years after my surgery)

Good news, though....he's so clueless that he clearly didn't remember my last appointment--the one when I broke down into a sobbing mess. Thank God. I didn't dare admit I haven't come in because I was hoping to wait long enough for him to forget me.

I'm now up to 6 CC's in my 14 CC band. I thought mine was smaller, to be honest. I didn't want a whole CC added today, but he thinks it's "time".....we'll see. Aruba awaits in less than 2.5 weeks. My 5K is Saturday!

Great to "see" you on here. Keep your chin up. It gets easier....I promise!!! :thumbup:

Thank you SingingInTheRain and Luv2Teech7! I have eaten my 8 oz of Soup, ff pudding and low fat milk, washed my make up off, put my PJs on, packed a couple of things, removed my nail polish, and am ready to go. Surgery tomorrow at 11:00 am at the Faulkner. Ready or not...here I come! Ciao all~

Hello friends, it been awhile not much to say... going up and down since my last unfill and actually still struggling with some tightness and pbing. What ever my friend put in her baked stuffed haddock just killed me but for what ever reason Ive been able to eat steak. Wish I could figure this band out.

K8 do NOT feel like you are being the annoying girl...they were supposed to call you back and didnt. My trick for calling Dr offices is to try to avoid first thing in the morning along Mondays and Fridays bc its the craziest times to be call. Remember you are PAYING them to do YOU a service.

Jay dont you have BCBS? They have a searchable database on line with providers. I tried last year and went for a short time...didnt work out but I may be seeking a new person to listen to me. :thumbup:

I know its published in another thread but the next meetings are: Monday May 11th at the Faulkner and Tuesday May 19th at the Brigham