Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Luv2~ Like the new pic!!!

Oh yeah! I joined the gym today!!! I'm doing my 1st workout tonight. I really need a fill. I haven't had one in almost 8wks!!! I haven't really needed one till about a week ago I'd say. I go 23rd. TTYL!!! Ps`been working out at home last 2 days too!!! :thumbup: It's crunch time lol!!! :mad2:

Thanks, Heidi. I changed my profile pic about a week ago and forgot to change the avatar pic, too!

Congrats on the workouts. I'm training to run a 5K in 11 weeks, so I have been doing a training regime that will hopefully lead to my finishing the race and not being the last one, the fat girl at the end. I hope it will help me push off a little more weight in the process, though.....When are you going away and where to? Are you excited? Glad to hear you're working out. Initially you may experience some weight gain/stagnancy as your muscles retain Water, but it will dissipate as you continue to workout. Just don't get discouraged if that happens. I find I am so much better able to tolerate just about any foods after a workout! I love it. I'm so freaking sore right now, but happy it's over. Oh, and this is my vacation. :wink:

Thanks, Heidi. I changed my profile pic about a week ago and forgot to change the avatar pic, too!

Congrats on the workouts. I'm training to run a 5K in 11 weeks, so I have been doing a training regime that will hopefully lead to my finishing the race and not being the last one, the fat girl at the end. I hope it will help me push off a little more weight in the process, though.....When are you going away and where to? Are you excited? Glad to hear you're working out. Initially you may experience some weight gain/stagnancy as your muscles retain Water, but it will dissipate as you continue to workout. Just don't get discouraged if that happens. I find I am so much better able to tolerate just about any foods after a workout! I love it. I'm so freaking sore right now, but happy it's over. Oh, and this is my vacation. :mad2:

Well, I just got back from my 1st workout at the gym~YAAAAAAAY Me lol!!! We're going to Jamaica!!!!! YES, I'm excited!!!!! I can't wait!!! This will be like a second honeymoon for us~! We leave march 28th. I wanna try to lose 10 lbs :wink:. You think I can??

Luv2~what is your first name???

You can definitely do 10 pounds in 6 weeks....keep working out!

I'm gym ignorant. What exactly should I be doing there? I get so overwhelmed with all the machines and everyone else seems to just know exactly what to do so I would feel foolish to try this stuff through trial and error.

So I basically stick to the treadmill cause... well how could you mess that up? But when it comes to weight training or anything, how do you figure out what to do? Should I just get a trainer? How much does that cost usually? Do you tip a trainer?

These are the questions I have at 12:44 a.m.

and thank you paige for listening about the plastic surgeon person coming to a meeting, that should be fun.

You shouldn't be doing anything other than walking for at least 6 weeks post op. After that, most gyms offer some kind of trainer who will set you up with a simple workout plan in writing---even the YMCA does that cheaply. No tips involved. You go, workout and go home. I don't do anything other than cardio, though.....when I need to really bulk up, I'll start lifting again. :eek: Ask about getting a guided tour of the gym from someone who works there. I know you recently joined and they should have some sort of an orientation....... but for now, Jay, wait til the good doctor tells you to start doing something other than walk. :lol:

So I basically stick to the treadmill cause... well how could you mess that up?

OH...and FYI..I've seen MANY people wipe out on the treadmill. It is absolutely possible to mess that up!!!

:eek:

WOW!!! Your doing a 5k!!!!!! that's huge!!!!!! You'll do awesome!!! I don't think I could ever run!!! I have dreams that I jog & don't get winded at all LOL! funny huh.

Congrats on the workouts. I'm training to run a 5K in 11 weeks, so I have been doing a training regime that will hopefully lead to my finishing the race and not being the last one, the fat girl at the end. I hope it will help me push off a little more weight in the process, though.....When are you going away and where to? Are you excited? Glad to hear you're working out. Initially you may experience some weight gain/stagnancy as your muscles retain Water, but it will dissipate as you continue to workout. Just don't get discouraged if that happens. I find I am so much better able to tolerate just about any foods after a workout! I love it. I'm so freaking sore right now, but happy it's over. Oh, and this is my vacation. :eek:

LMAO!!!! This is me!!! I'm so afraid to move my arms & walk at the same time in fear of this LOL!!!

OH...and FYI..I've seen MANY people wipe out on the treadmill. It is absolutely possible to mess that up!!!

:eek:

Oh my goodness, you guys crack me up. I'm glad I went to the meeting and put some faces to names. It was nice to meet you guys. Jay sorry you had to deal with that on the train! Heidi, great job on joining the gym.

Only 4 more days till my first consult. Not nervous at all, thanks to all of you!

Sandy :eek:)

Well I am feeling better today. Someone asked so I will let you know that when you have the band it’s very hard to throw up bc of the band being a physical barrier. I did painfully heave a few times so I am worried about a slip but if it happens it happens. I am thankful I had some Phenigrin left over from my surgery.

Jay like everyone said you should only be walking until you are cleared by your surgeon. Then the gym should give you an orientation on the machines and how to used them. I don’t think I will ever love the gym but I’ve grown to tolerate it. I do about 20-30 mins of cardio and then a circuit of Nautilus. I aim for 4x a week. I know I should do more but I don’t want to make it a chore

L2t7 love the new picture.. will the plastics dr be only at the by-pass meeting bc I will jump ship and go to that.

Heidi good for you! When do you leave for this fabulous trip?

LMAO!!!! This is me!!! I'm so afraid to move my arms & walk at the same time in fear of this LOL!!!

fyi I cant walk straight even on a treadmill....never falling off. thats what the safety stop thingy is for. :eek:

At my age and with my past exercise experience...or should I say 'the lack thereof..., the reasonable method(I think) for me is my treadmill. Several yrs ago I ordered a good one from Sears and find that when I DO go on it I see a big difference.

This LB 'quest' began when my PCP threw up her hands about my high blood pressure caused by the constant weight gain over the past 2 years. No matter the meds, NADA!

So she had to resort to the 'pact'..and made me promise..handshake over it and all to seal the deal...that I would do 10 min a day. Well, (there's always a 'well 'and a 'but' when it comes to my weightloss). I went wild! I was 'Biggest Loser Solitaire' down there in the basement on my machine and went from 10 min to doing 2 miles a day...which is a great feat for a sedentary gal like me. And then I get proud and...quit. There is always something there to use up the exercise time.

So the story continues..I start anew every now and then, reach 2 miles a day, lose some weight, stop, eat, gain Round and Round.

And yes...I did almost fall off. I read rather than listen as I work, and one chapter was so intriguing I lost the rhythm of the pace and almost ended up face down! Not cute at all.

I am not a Water drinker, so thought now is the time to start. Went to Walgreens, Shaws,Rite Aid..no Kellogg's Protein Water mix ....finally found it at CVS. I guess it is a big seller..only 2 boxes on the shelf.

So now I am trying to ease into it..Carnation Instants,Water and trying to lose 5 more lbs before going back to the dear doc in a few more weeks. In this stage of the PreBand Journey I am "Learning to embrace my hunger" as one famous talk show host said recently.

The treadmill needs to be dusted.

Hope to meet you also tinywishes! Hope you are doing better now.

Have a good day all!

singingintherain

Edited by singingintherain