Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Jay,

Wouldn't you rather know before surgery, even if it possibly delays?? I'd hate to find out you have some sort of a heart murmur or something like that and had issues in surgery!! Just so you know, while I certainly don't know your mental status right now, but those flutters are pretty common with stress---if you're starting to really stress over this, it could just be panic-related. It can't hurt to ask.....wait til they're prepping you if you must, but please say something to them! :lol:

Congrats on the extra 5!!! Only a few more days! Are you excited???

Hey Guys...haven't posted in a while.. Jay...I bet that the fulttering is just acid. Those were my symptoms when I was diagnosed with GERD. But, still check with the doc... GL with your surgery! Katie

Thanks ladies! I don't feel nervous or anything, it's weird, going into surgery and I don't feel nervous at all, today when they told me I had to have more bloodwork done I wanted to cry, I know it's completely irrational but that little needle just scares the hell out of me. And it's over in five minutes but still...

I think if it keeps happening (hasn't happened in an hour) i'll call Jennifer tomorrow. I'm ridiculously tired today, maybe that's contributing to it all. Hopefully a good night's sleep will get it all under control.

Oh and you know it could be acid, I stepped outside the bounds of the pre-op diet, nothing major, just substituted something and that could definitely be it! That makes me feel better!

I look forward to seeing you at the support group soon, that is if you can make it.

Haven't been around for some time. Ihope everyone is doing well. I am counting the minutes until the morning where I hope to get another fill. I really miss that restriction feeling - and I am sure this will help put me back on track. I havent lost anything this month - stayed within the same 5 pounds. I really am looking forward to this boost. I dotn want to fall back on soem old habits that seem to be creeping in.

Tova

Thanks ladies! I don't feel nervous or anything, it's weird, going into surgery and I don't feel nervous at all, today when they told me I had to have more bloodwork done I wanted to cry, I know it's completely irrational but that little needle just scares the hell out of me. And it's over in five minutes but still...

I think if it keeps happening (hasn't happened in an hour) i'll call Jennifer tomorrow. I'm ridiculously tired today, maybe that's contributing to it all. Hopefully a good night's sleep will get it all under control.

Oh and you know it could be acid, I stepped outside the bounds of the pre-op diet, nothing major, just substituted something and that could definitely be it! That makes me feel better!

I look forward to seeing you at the support group soon, that is if you can make it.

So Jay are you still on for the 12th???

Hey everyone! So, I haven't done that great since my last visit w/ doc V. I don't think I've lost much. I could be doing better w/ my eating. I can't eat just about anything now but hunger is not out of control yet. I think I could use a small fill soon. I go on feb 23rd. I haven't needed a fill since dec 22! I am still not exercising yet. I know I need to but I have to just start! I want to get a gym membership for my bday this month. Then it's finding the time to go w/ 3 little ones.

Get ready..Thursday can be counted in hours away now.

Please call and get another EKG before you have your Band...or at least let the docs know..especially the anesthetist. That's not something I would ever let go unmentioned...regardless of how much I desired Banding.

I have Dr Robinson as my doctor and I feel very comfortable having him do the procedure.

Another dumb question I just have to ask....were you required to have an endoscopy and if so, did they give you a sedative, or just ram that tube and camera down your pipes??!! Scared of that test:crying:!!!

I didn't have this either.

So Jay are you still on for the 12th???

Well okay. I called the surgeon and my primary care dr. Dr. Robinson called me back and told me that I needed to be checked by my primary care doctor and he needs to hear from her by tomorrow that it's ok to preform the surgery. So... right now it's not 100% for the 12th, but I think it will be.

the palpitations would soon stop after having an apple (one of the two I'm allowed per day) but would quickly return. Based on that a friend who is a nurse suggested having something with a little more sugar in it, which would help give me some energy and help make more blood (I'm anemic so I have low blood as it is)

The appointment is tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. so I should know then, and if my primary care won't clear me you'll hear on the news about a crazed hungry man causing a riot, and I'll try to say hi to you all when i'm on court tv. If she does clear me, all systems are go for thursday.

Well okay. I called the surgeon and my primary care dr. Dr. Robinson called me back and told me that I needed to be checked by my primary care doctor and he needs to hear from her by tomorrow that it's ok to preform the surgery. So... right now it's not 100% for the 12th, but I think it will be.

the palpitations would soon stop after having an apple (one of the two I'm allowed per day) but would quickly return. Based on that a friend who is a nurse suggested having something with a little more sugar in it, which would help give me some energy and help make more blood (I'm anemic so I have low blood as it is)

The appointment is tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. so I should know then, and if my primary care won't clear me you'll hear on the news about a crazed hungry man causing a riot, and I'll try to say hi to you all when i'm on court tv. If she does clear me, all systems are go for thursday.

Jay, You're talking about two different things here--Anemia is low Iron. They often suggest iron rich diet to fix or a supplement. The apple would be low blood sugar and that is pretty common with the diet....

Good luck tomorrow. Call me. I'll bail yer arse out. I know what that hunger is like. :thumbup:

According to my primary care I'm anemic with no signs of Vitamin or Iron deficiency. I don't exactly know what that means but she did tell me there was no need for supplementation... I really don't know at this point, i've had a barrage of medical terms thrown at me today. Hopefully all will go well at the appointment tomorrow and I'll be one day away from surgery. If they have to reschedule again, I'm fairly certain I'm giving up. But we're not thinking about that now, we're all positive and smiles.

Hello Everyone, I have so many questions to ask, I live in the Boston area and have been thinking about the lap band procedure for awhile, and now I am fed up and want to discuss this with my doctor (I have an appointment with her in a week). I was wondering if my doctor says I should get it done will she refer me to a doctor? Or do I find one? Also how long does it take to get an appt with one of the doctors? I am guessing awhile. And how long does the whole process take? Also I don't think I would want to tell people I am getting the procedure, has anyone else done this?

PS I also am a huge coffee drinker, and can't seem to find out if you can still drink coffee after the surgery?

Hi Chloe,

for my insurance I have a PPO (instead of an HMO) so I didn't need a referral to see a surgeon. When it came time for me to find a surgeon I had found a video online of a surgeon at Brigham doing the surgery and after I watched that I figured that this is where I wanted my surgery to be. I then called a few surgeons offices and honestly, I went with the surgeon who could see me first. I called in late october and got an appointment for mid november. So I went to the info session on October 14th and am now scheduled for a feb. 12th surgery. However there are some insurance companies that require you do a 6 month pre-op program (mine didn't require it) so that will definitely affect the timing of your surgery.

My advice would be, if you're interested in Brigham and Women's or Faulkner Hospital programs to go to the information sessions, I got a lot of my questions answered there.