Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This thread is going to be sooo inappropriate!

I'm not yet 3 weeks out and I'm still swollen enough that taking my Vitamins is giving me grief. All my meds are smaller and are fine.

I am certainly no medical expert - just a banded patient with an incredible doctor and his staff. Not too long ago they put out the word that due to recent studies, LB patients should not be taking pills - of any kind. They insist that we use Centrum chewable viamins. And as for any other usual meds that you need that cannot be crushed, they told us that we need to consult our physicians to get something that doesn't have to swallowed whole.

I asked if I never had a problem taking pills (as of the 2nd year after banding) do I need to heed that advice? I was told that it is extremely risky for many reasons and that I am taking my life into my own hands if I continue to take pills - especially large ones. Upon further probing, I was told that one of the reasons is that LB patients have been known to choke and aspirate medications - which they said can be lethal.

I'm taking my life into my own hands because I do continue to take small pills. I am very careful and take my time and pay a lot of attention when I take them though.

Just wanted to share, for what it's worth.

I am certainly no medical expert - just a banded patient with an incredible doctor and his staff. Not too long ago they put out the word that due to recent studies, LB patients should not be taking pills - of any kind. They insist that we use Centrum chewable viamins. And as for any other usual meds that you need that cannot be crushed, they told us that we need to consult our physicians to get something that doesn't have to swallowed whole.

I asked if I never had a problem taking pills (as of the 2nd year after banding) do I need to heed that advice? I was told that it is extremely risky for many reasons and that I am taking my life into my own hands if I continue to take pills - especially large ones. Upon further probing, I was told that one of the reasons is that LB patients have been known to choke and aspirate medications - which they said can be lethal.

I'm taking my life into my own hands because I do continue to take small pills. I am very careful and take my time and pay a lot of attention when I take them though.

Just wanted to share, for what it's worth.

That sounds kind of drastic, don't you think?

Just another reason I'm so glad I'm not banded anymore!

Well....if we're talking aspiration (having foreign particles enter the trachea instead of the esophagus) there really is no distinction between pills and....say...popcorn. Or a loose tooth, for that matter. So, while there may be legit reasons for bandsters to avoid pills, I don't think aspiration is a biggie.

Well....if we're talking aspiration (having foreign particles enter the trachea instead of the esophagus) there really is no distinction between pills and....say...popcorn. Or a loose tooth, for that matter. So, while there may be legit reasons for bandsters to avoid pills, I don't think aspiration is a biggie.

But do you believe a big FLUORIDE DOPE??!!!

(Kidding. I agree completely. Maybe this is just something that got lost in translation.)

I don't have any problems taking Vitamins. Drinking, I'm getting the hang of that now. Drink three swallows, I'm full, wait 10 seconds, drink three more swallows. ;o) It doesn't annoy me as much as it did at first but the days of guzzling a 16oz bottle of Water are over. That will never happen again. But I'm almost used to it now, just like everyone said would happen.

If your reflux is from the band you need to be very very careful. There is a new study out that shows the anatomy of the banded stomach is such that there is a little pocket that forms and acid stays in there and it can cause all kinds of problems. Are you taking PPIs?

I am trying really hard to avoid this by not eating at night and taking my medications earlier. I am taking Previcid or Nexium whichever my dr. gives me samples of. I do want to convert to a sleeve. It's a money issue right now. I called my dr. and he didn't seem to think it was any big deal or that I needed a test to make sure everything is okay in there. Should I insist on a test and which one? I am very loose and don't have any daytime problems. I am not getting another fill even though I can eat ANYTHING I want, because I am so worried about this night time issue.

I am sorry Mac, if I scared Newbies on the post to post thread. I just feel like I have a time bomb inside me, and I don' t have the money to convert to sleeve right now. I don't have any acid reflux or heartburn in the day time. What should I do, Bubble. You know I respect your opinion highly!

I am trying really hard to avoid this by not eating at night and taking my medications earlier. I am taking Previcid or Nexium whichever my dr. gives me samples of. I do want to convert to a sleeve. It's a money issue right now. I called my dr. and he didn't seem to think it was any big deal or that I needed a test to make sure everything is okay in there. Should I insist on a test and which one? I am very loose and don't have any daytime problems. I am not getting another fill even though I can eat ANYTHING I want, because I am so worried about this night time issue.

I am sorry Mac, if I scared Newbies on the post to post thread. I just feel like I have a time bomb inside me, and I don' t have the money to convert to sleeve right now. I don't have any acid reflux or heartburn in the day time. What should I do, Bubble. You know I respect your opinion highly!

I don't know, I have such mixed feelings about the band.

I honestly don't believe the band will be "forever" in 90% of the people. I'd be surprised if it lasts 10 years in the majority of people. You just can't stress the esophagus that much for that long and not expect problems. We always hear about these people that have had a band for 10 years but actually finding one is all but impossible.

My thinking is this, we will never be fully rid of the fat mentality. Obesity is a disease, not a symptom. There is no cure for obesity but only treatments instead. Currently our best shot at treatments is surgery.

If we have the fat mentality forever, where are all these 10 year banded folks? Don't they need the support of other fatties? I'm at goal but if I don't participate in this community or a similar one I fall into bad habits. It's a bit like my version of an AA meeting.

Am I the only one? I don't think so, so these folks that are 10 years out and banded, where are they? Mexico has been banding US folks for 17 years, it's not like there is nobody in the US that was banded 17 years ago. Go to any RNY board and you see people that had surgery 20 years ago, 30 years ago, they are posting. Just banded folks don't need to post 10 years later? They don't need to be involved in the fat community to maintain? I'm not buying it.

My point is that I don't believe the vast majority of people will make it 10 years with a band, that means they either maintain without it (3-5% can do that) or they revise.

If you are doing well with a band and it isn't causing you any problems then hang in there. Just know that if you slip or need surgical repair the revision won't be in one surgery, it will be in two. One to remove the band and a 2nd to revise. That just happened to a friend of mine, she was waiting for her revision to a sleeve and slipped while waiting for her date. She was in bad shape, they had to hydrate her before they could even do surgery safely. Then her band was removed, now she has to wait six months for her stomach to heal before she can revise to a sleeve and she's gaining weight like crazy. Know how much weight you can gain in six months? She's hoping for her sleeve next January.

There are a few people on the sleeve board (OH) that had a band and the band did so much damage that they can never revise to another surgery. No sleeve, no RNY, no DS. There is too much damage and a staple line would not be safe. They are left with diet and exercise for the rest of their lives. The flip side to that coin is that they also don't have a great surgeon either. I'd hope they get a 2nd opinion before assuming he is right, but maybe he is. I don't know.

It's a crap shoot, you have to think about the risk you want to take. You have to consider if the band is causing you problems. If you have reflux just know that the first few weeks of being sleeved you might have mega reflux. Your stomach produces enough acid for a whole stomach for a few weeks. If you have esophageal damage due to acid you are really going to struggle after a sleeve.

When I was having problems I really thought I was the exception to the rule. I thought I was unique and one of the few. Turns out that is not the case, the issues I had were very common.

One upside to being banded, when you do revise the learning curve is minimal. I see newbie sleeved people sliming and foaming, barfing, etc. after they go to solids. I never see revision folks saying the same. They have already gone through the learning curve, they know how to chew, bite size, etc. So it will be much easier for you than a newbie sleeved person.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

Can you tell me which test you think I should ask for to find out what is going on in there?

There was a lady that posted that she was fine in the daytime, no heartburn, could eat fine, but acid reflux at night. turns out she had a slip.

Sick.....calm down. I know it's a little stressful, but it's all good! Here are my thoughts:

You need to decide if you really need WLS (Personally, I took a good, long, hard (no laughing at my choice of adjectives, plz) look and decided that I probably wouldn't lose the weight on my own). If you decide that you do, then you need to look at which type of surgery best fits your lifestyle, goals, and needs. I love my band, but I'd never tell anybody that my particular flavor trumps theirs (There are many paths to the prize). If I had a bad experience (with any WLS) and needed to revise, I wouldn't try to deter them from getting their choice, assuming they are going in to the surgery with eyes wide open (having done the research and homework). We should all make our own decisions, because we have to live with the results.

There are pros and cons to every surgery. Every one. No WLS is 100% risk free. So don't let fear "drive the bus" so to speak. Of course you should evaluate potential risks, but really use that big ol' brain you have and think about it. Don't rely heavily on anecdotal evidence. You are very close....you have to be the one to decide.

Aww shucks - you think I have a big ol' brain even tho I'm a liberal? I'm so touched (and not in the short bus kind of way)! :biggrin:

I've been thinking about WLS for at least 6 years now. I was always a little scared of RNY and had never heard of the sleeve. I actually like the notion that it is reversible whereas the others are not. If I have to have a revision later, then I shall cross that bridge then. :mellow:

PS - liquid diets suck; I'm starving!!!

Aww shucks - you think I have a big ol' brain even tho I'm a liberal

Notice I never said anything about the quality of the thoughts coursing through that brain. To satirize my favorite Fiber One commercial..."Numbers, yes. Politics, no".

I had the exact same thought process RE: revision with the band.

And hey....If it makes you feel better, just think of my creepy cartoon avitar watching you on the the day of surgery. Watching....watching....always watching. You're welcome!!

Can you tell me which test you think I should ask for to find out what is going on in there?

There was a lady that posted that she was fine in the daytime, no heartburn, could eat fine, but acid reflux at night. turns out she had a slip.

Upper GI/barium swallow. That will tell if you are holding acid in your pouch. If that doesn't show anything then an upper endo.

I had the exact same thought process RE: revision with the band.

Oh gosh, we think alike now? EEP! :biggrin:

And hey....If it makes you feel better, just think of my creepy cartoon avatar watching you on the the day of surgery. Watching....watching....always watching. You're welcome!!

Grrrrreat - I'll have drugs to put me under Thursday but what will I do tonight for the nightmares??? :mellow:

Upper GI/barium swallow. That will tell if you are holding acid in your pouch. If that doesn't show anything then an upper endo.

There isn't anyway to find out with one test? What if I had the upper endo first. would that tell me what an upper GI would tell me? Insurance isn't going to cover any of this. I know I probably sound really stupid, but I know nothing about these tests. I have never needed them but after reading that a lady had a slip with no other symptoms other than night time reflux, I am freaking out again. She was just like me, with no problems what so ever in the daytime.

I wish my dad's house would sell and I would come down there in a hearbeat and go to your dr.