Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This thread is going to be sooo inappropriate!

So I have a friend who has struggled with her weight for a long time, has a BMI of about 40-42 and won't consider banding. She whines incessantly about how she can't lose weight, how fat she is, etc. She lost 50 lbs last year on Weight Watchers and gained it back plus some in a few months. She is struggling to lose anything right now, doing WW again. I've talked to her about the band, she knows everything I have been through with it. I told her to just go to a seminar and get more information, but she made some snide comments about WLS overall, how she's not that desperate, it's so extreme, etc.

Anyway, last night she was whining about it yet again and I again suggested she look into the band. She said, I know I would sabotage surgery. So I jokingly said, oh ok, then have the DS. I'd told her about this thread and linked her to the OH DS board. Can you believe she's looking into it?! She's totally drawn into the whole eat what you want and still lose weight thing. At one point in the conversation she said, I wish I could wave a magic wand and not be fat anymore. She also said, "well they're only stinky when they sh*t or fart, right? I could live with that."

*sigh* I guess that answered my previous question about WHO would do that to themselves. Obviously someone who can't bother to make a lifestyle change or work for the weight loss, they just want to wave a magic wand and be thing. :)

Everyone has to start somewhere. At least she's looking into it now.

Though if she's drunk the koolaide, there is no hope...

Well obviously I am partial to the band, so I pointed her to info on the band and the sleeve. I don't think she'd really go forward with it though. Her husband is gone 2-6 weeks at a time and he doesn't support WLS so she wouldn't have any support. Plus, she already admits that she is a self-sabotager. I keep hoping that she'll see me doing so well and go for it. Fortunately there are no DS surgeons in her area, so hopefully she isn't serious about looking into it further.

From the OH page-

Living with the Duodenal Switch:

supplements and Side Effects

It is necessary to take a number of nutritional supplements after the operation than after gastric bypass. These usually include:

Multivitamins (usually twice per day)

Iron supplements (usually twice per day)

Calcium with Vitamin D (usually twice per day)

ADEKs (fat-soluble vitamins) usually 3 times per day

Additionally, there are some very significant side effects that accompany this procedure, including:

Frequent soft bowel movements (up to 4-6 per day)

Frequent passing of foul-smelling gas

Changes in body odor

Gas pains or bloating

Hair loss

Intolerance of certain foods (varies from person to person)

It is difficult to say exactly which of these side-effects you will experience because everyone is different. We have listed the ones that are most common.

Why must everyone on that site lie that they dont have poop problems? lol

Why must everyone on that site lie that they dont have poop problems? lol

I think the denial is hilarious when it follows pages of posts about nothing other than poop. :)

I too have a magic wand friend. Thankfully she doesn't know about DS (that I know of)! She's the kind that only eats once or twice a day and "wants a pill that will tell her cells to let go of the fat." I'm bigger than she is and I'M the one telling her she needs to eat healthier options more often, etc. I wish I had a magic wand too; I'd be skinny and married to George Clooney!

I think added the forums for the other surgeries might have been a bad idea. The DSers are brining it up on OH and are going crazy about it...uh oh i see some problems coming on

I don't mean that to be mean to others but I think in the long run with how mean the DSers are...we might be better off with just a revisions forum than the one for all surgeries...this is lapbandtalk =/

New DS Forum

this is why we shouldnt have other forums now.

Yeah, I agree, Froggi. I can only imagine the DS'ers invading LBT. :thumbup: