Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Close to Goal

I thought I'd start a thread to talk about getting close to goal. I know that some of the Crazy Ates are getting there now and all the rest will be there soon. As exciting as it is there are "issues" surroundig that too.

Salsa, I've read your recent posts on the subject with great interest becasue I have unexpectedly arrived in the same place - needing to start maintenance. I've now been told by two plastic surgeons and my band doctor that I've lost enough weight. This is so shocking to me because in my mind I still need to drop about 20-25 pounds. I saw the band doctor yesterday and he explained that people who have been obese for a long time have had to develop more bone and muscle to support the fat. As the fat is lost the bone and muscle stay the same - the underlying body structure is heavier than it once was years ago when I was younger and thinner. Also my saggy skin is adding extra weight that wont go away without plastic surgery. So, I've adjusted my goal weight to be closer to what the docs are recommending. (I just can't bring myself to put my ticker at goal yet).

As far as how to maintain, I am clueless about that also. I've spent my whole life either losing or gaining - never had any long term success at maintenance. What my doctor wants me to do is continue exercising for health and fitness and eat the same way I've been eating, but adding additional healthy calories to my meals, i.e., nuts on my salads or half an avocado, more olive oil in my cooking, a little extra cheese here and there, etc. It sounds simple, but with my history, I'm really nervous.

I know that this is a good problem to have, but for a lifelong food addict like me, it is a whole new world. I'm really glad to have a place to discuss my fears and exchange ideas. I just can't tell you how much this board has helped me so far.

As far as how to maintain, I am clueless about that also. I've spent my whole life either losing or gaining - never had any long term success at maintenance. What my doctor wants me to do is continue exercising for health and fitness and eat the same way I've been eating, but adding additional healthy calories to my meals, i.e., nuts on my salads or half an avocado, more olive oil in my cooking, a little extra cheese here and there, etc. It sounds simple, but with my history, I'm really nervous.

That's exactly what my nutritionist said too. Maybe about 200 calories per day and adjust from there.

I've been thinking a lot about maintence lately too ... although I still have a little way to go. Keeping the weight off has always been a bigger concern to me than actually losing it. YOU said some very inspiring things to me in the PS thread recently about new motivation and confidence that this time is different.

We'll figure this out!!!

I havent found I"ve had to add food back to stop losing, my weight loss just kind of petered out and whilst I can lose with effort, nowadays if I just eat what I want, when I want it, I maintain. I just sort of let my body stop where it wanted to, which was well under the top of my healthy weight range.

I think I am actually losing VERY slowly, like 2lb in 3 months, but that no doubt will fade away too.

I havent changed my exercise routine or anything. I think viewing goal weight as the end is a BIG mistake. Its just time to continue doing what you've done all along without the big reward of seeing exciting drops on the scales every week.

That's exactly what my nutritionist said too. Maybe about 200 calories per day and adjust from there.

I've been thinking a lot about maintence lately too ... although I still have a little way to go. Keeping the weight off has always been a bigger concern to me than actually losing it. YOU said some very inspiring things to me in the PS thread recently about new motivation and confidence that this time is different.

We'll figure this out!!!

Candle, I'm glad we are in this together. We've lost so fast that it is hard to wrap our minds around all the changes. I think you are smart to be giving maintenance a lot of thought; that has always been where I've failed. I knew I could lose weight because I've done it so many times. This time I'm determined to learn how to keep it off.

I havent found I"ve had to add food back to stop losing, my weight loss just kind of petered out and whilst I can lose with effort, nowadays if I just eat what I want, when I want it, I maintain. I just sort of let my body stop where it wanted to, which was well under the top of my healthy weight range.

I think I am actually losing VERY slowly, like 2lb in 3 months, but that no doubt will fade away too.

I havent changed my exercise routine or anything. I think viewing goal weight as the end is a BIG mistake. Its just time to continue doing what you've done all along without the big reward of seeing exciting drops on the scales every week.

Jachut, I'm so glad you responded. I've been a fan of yours since I joined LBT. I've tried to live by your motto of shutting my gob and moving my ass and it has worked. As often happens when I read your post, I had a light bulb come on... "I think viewing goal weight as the end is a BIG mistake". You are so right. That is exactly what has been wrong with my thinking. I have seriously changed my life since I was banded. I'm no longer an obese, sedentary, wreck of a human being. I've turned into a fit, active, ethusiastic, and dare I say, vibrant woman. I like myself a whole lot better this way and whatever I need to do to maintain this new lifestyle is worth it.

I know you didn't ask for my 2 cents (and with the current currency conversion it's less than that anyway)

Maintaining is a hell of a lot like losing. It's not a great deal different for me. I eat more, because of my unfill, but that's about it. I still eat the same foods, and I still exercise the same amount as always. I know that's probably not all that helpful. But I guess, if we are careful not to make our whole lives about losing weight, getting to goal is not a "mountain top" type experience. It great, don't get me wrong, but it's not everything, if you get what I am aiming at (and knowing my luck, no one will get it :sneaky:)

Chickie, Another of my role models checks in! Again, I'm so glad you responded. Yours was another story that inspired me from the beginning. It is so encouraging to see people like you who have figured out how to make this work for the long haul. If you can do it, I can do it too! Thanks so much for the advice. (Now I'm hoping JulieNYC will respond!)

So I did go to my nutritionist today because I had NO idea how to transition into maintenance. In reality...I am at goal. Yeah my ticker says 2 pounds to go , but I will lose that in PS so if I lose it before then great...if not okay. I am happy where I am at and I know that maintenance for me is probably going to be a lot like losing. My nutritionist said that now that I KNOW what foods are healthy and I KNOW how much to eat, now I need to start shifting to a little bit more balanced meals, but that in reality nothing much is going to change.

This is what she has given me as a guide.

70-80 g Protein

2 servings fruit

2-3 servings vegs

2 starches (1 starch = 10-15 g carbs)

2-3 fats

She said in reality the only thing missing from my diet was starches and fats. But as I have mentioned in other posts carbs scare me more than an ax wielding psychopath.

As for whether or not I am going to have to add MORE food to my day...we don't know. This is a waiting game...If I can't stop losing weight (my doc doesn't want me losing any more and wants me stable before PS) then I will have to add...If I naturally plateau so be it. If I gain...WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY! THen I will know once and for all that carbs are EVIL! There will always be foods that I will avoid: sugar, white flour, fast foods, junk foods. But then again I have grown to love the healthy foods more. I really am not missing the crap I ate before.

Well we are certainly in this together. I am glad that someone else out there is where I am...I was beginning to think I was the only guinea pig out there. I may be a scientist...but I didn't want to be the test rat!