Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adult ADHD and Banding?

I've just been diagnosed with adult ADHD and was put on Strattera. My doc says it won't interfere with the banding process. I actually feel much calmer. I think that dealing with the ADHD will make my banding more successful since I'll be able to plan and prioritize better. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Anyone else in this situation?<o:p></o:p>

Nicole

I am not banded yet either but I too have ADHD and am medicated. I was on ritalin but was recently switched to Wellbutrin XL by my doctor. It helps but not as much as the ritalin does. Now that I am being banded on April 5 I wish we would have stayed on the ritalin since it is a MUCH smaller pill. The generic Wellbutrin XL pill is a horse pill and I just got the prescription filled for it and I have no clue how I am going to be able to take that after surgery.

I know I could ask her to switch me back but she will have a fit since she thinks that WLS is not what I or anyone else needs. She thinks I should be able to lose weight with diet and exercise. Yeah right! I've lost and gained the same 80 pounds so many times that if it was an Olympic event I'd have a gold medal!

Anyway I am happy for you though finally getting diagnosed. I am 33 and didn't get diagnosed until late late twenties and lord knows it would have helped me a lot if I had known sooner. I feel much better now and I wish you the best.

Jes

I am going in on Thursday to (hopefully) get my diagnosis. The symptoms all totally fit and I've really been struggling w/ focus, leaving things half done, finishing thoughts, etc. Do you guys have any advice? Any questions to ask? Medications to try to stay away from? Personal stories about how you finally realized you had ADHD?

I was banded one month ago and so far so good. I have lost 26.5 pounds, so I'm happy about that.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steph

I have ADHD and I don't take the meds. I'm on Dexedrine and I absolutely hate it so I don't take it. Maybe rarely, but not more than once a month.

I had no problem unmedicated with weight loss.

Good luck!

My doc put me on Strattera, its the non stimulate med but takes about a month to reach full effectiveness. It is a capsule vs a tablet (I don't know what the others are) so even if it got stuck the outer part dissolves eventually and will pass without a problem. If your pill is a tablet you can get a pill cutter and chop it up into smaller pieces. I also take St. John's Wart capsules to assist with mood control. That works well too. I can feel your pain I am 27 and finally have been diagnosed. I had been in a 2 week mental out patient program for depression and suicidal thoughts and no one bothered to assess my other symptoms. I could have had help for this a year ago if they had. They just doped me up on Lexapro and Xanax. I quit taking those two.

I think getting the ADHD under control will benefit me b/c I've always struggled with planning meals and following diets b/c I forget so much and end up running all over the place in an erratic pattern. So once I add the lap band I should be well equipt to continue on the path to a new healthy life style.

I have adult ADD and was diagnosed 2 years ago with it. I currently take Adderall and it truly has been a miracle drug for me. For me, when I am medicated, I definetely am more organized in thought, as well as in my eating habits... And the little 'boost' of energy gets me to the gym more regularly.

I'm on Ritalin, and got banded last week. I still take one a day in the morning, chew it up good and swallow it down. Actually, taking the Rit really helped me with my appetite control, to be perfectly honest.

I am going in Monday to find out if I have ADD. As far as I can remember back I have been unable to comprehend what I read--as if a thousand thoughts are crammed into my head while I'm trying to read something. When I had to drop out of my master's program because I couldn't do the reading--that's when I knew something was wrong!