Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was banded in Dec of 07. Before I was banded I asked the doctor what kind of band was he going to use. He said I would be getting the APS band which is the newest band that he was now using. After surgery he gave me a card but I didn't look at it until I was at home. My card said that my band can only hold approx. 4 cc's of saline. I was totally confused. Today I went for my 3rd fill. He already had saline in the syringe so when he inserted the needle he pulled out some saline along with what was in the syringe. I heard him tell the nurse it was a total of 6. I'm not sure if he was talking about cc's or what. If it is a total of 6 cc's then how can I possibly have the band that holds only 4cc's. I have been banded for almost 3 months and lost 11lbs but gained it all back. So now I am back to square 1. I am 5'7 and weight 224 lbs. Getting discouraged!!!!!!!!!!

I was banded in Dec of 07. Before I was banded I asked the doctor what kind of band was he going to use. He said I would be getting the APS band which is the newest band that he was now using. After surgery he gave me a card but I didn't look at it until I was at home. My card said that my band can only hold approx. 4 cc's of saline. I was totally confused. Today I went for my 3rd fill. He already had saline in the syringe so when he inserted the needle he pulled out some saline along with what was in the syringe. I heard him tell the nurse it was a total of 6. I'm not sure if he was talking about cc's or what. If it is a total of 6 cc's then how can I possibly have the band that holds only 4cc's. I have been banded for almost 3 months and lost 11lbs but gained it all back. So now I am back to square 1. I am 5'7 and weight 224 lbs. Getting discouraged!!!!!!!!!!

*HUG* I think you need to phone your doctor and ask your questions as he can give you the best information. Perhaps he mistakenly gave you the wrong card? Or maybe your band is 4"something" but not 4cc which holds more than 4 ccs. I do know when they do a fill the withdraw all the saline in and then put the fill in - so if you had 1cc in and they are going to add 3cc's they withdraw the 1cc and put in 4cc's (this way they can make sure that you haven't lost any saline to leaks or anything of the sort).

As for losing and gaining back the 11 lbs - has your fill given you any restriction? Are you eating smaller portions with solid Proteins first? Do you drink empty calories (think starbucks or high calories drinks) often? Are you exercising at all?

I'm sorry you are so frustrated. I would first phone your doctor and ask your question about band/fill size for sure cuz I would be quite puzzled by that first. I know they say that the first month or two is for healing and to not panic if you lose and gain back some weight. Maybe you need to sit down and track / journel your food for a few days to see how you are eating (putting it on paper really puts it in perspective) use Fitday or Daily Plate if you don't know of a program to do that.

You can do it!! Hang in there.

Ask.

Don't be afraid to speak freely with your doctor and staff. The only dumb question is the one not asked...and believe me, they don't mind explaining things to you or sharing info.

My doc had to explain 3 times, 3 different ways before I got it.

Maliyah, don't fret a single bit, all is well with you. Write down your questions and email them to your Dr. Then go see him for the answers. I believe the first year is really an adjusting year. Learning to eat the bandster way every time. Learning to exercise everyday. Learning about food choices and quantities. Its all about getting that "stretch" Be calm the hardest part is behind you all ya gotta do now is move forward a little bit everyday.

Repeat: "Everyday in everyway I am getting better and better" 10x a day...

I also have the APS band. The "S" stands for small. So it means you have the AP band in the small size. I know my band holds 10ccs. So there was probably a misunderstanding. Sometimes people get confused with the bands capacity and the bands length (which doesn't really make any difference and depends totally on the size/thickness of your stomach.) If it is important for you to know, call them up and ask for clarification. I'm pretty sure, though, if you have the APS band it is 10ccs.

I would ask your surgeon. That being said he may have had to put in the larger band due to the size of your stomach. It holds 10ccs. Makes sense if you don't have restriction at 6 ccs. good luck.

Well I was banded 12/19/07. I have had 2 fills. I feel just as "fat" as the day I was banded. Dr. Says I have lost 11#. I don't have a scale at home so I go by how my pants feel.. which is not very good. I'm always hungry still and I don't know if that feeling will ever go away so I don't feel it all the time. I have some restriction but the hunger pains are always there.

did anyone else feel this way? or does the band not work for me?

help>:blush:

When I heard him say 6, I would have asked - 6 what?

You'll have to call your surgeon to know what size band you have. It will be in your records. If it ends up you have a 10cm (holds 4cc) band, then ask what your current fill level is.

Well I was banded 12/19/07. I have had 2 fills. I feel just as "fat" as the day I was banded. Dr. Says I have lost 11#. I don't have a scale at home so I go by how my pants feel.. which is not very good. I'm always hungry still and I don't know if that feeling will ever go away so I don't feel it all the time. I have some restriction but the hunger pains are always there.

did anyone else feel this way? or does the band not work for me?

help>:crying:

jwright:

I just had to answer your post because I know exactly how you're feeling. I was banded on 11-13-07 and was wondering if I would ever reach restriction. My doctor has been very conservative with the fills but after my 5th fill last week (7cc's), I think I've finally hit my "sweet spot".

Hang in there and be patient. Keep going for your fills and you will get there and then your weight loss will take off. Watch and log what you're eating, and remember to exercise!! I learned that you can't wait for it, you have to make it happen. :ohmy:

I wanted to second what tralynn222 said and tell you that this is how the band works for many people. There are a few who feel restriction right away and don't even need that first fill, but they are definitely the exception. For most of us, restriction is what makes the band work and it can be difficult to find. It takes time. I had surgery in October 2007. My doctor was rather conservative with the fills, too. In the long run I think it has helped me. I have lost weight at a pretty slow rate, which has been frustrating, but I have adjusted to the changes in eating easier because it has been a slower, more gradual change. Now that I am at my sweet spot (7.5 ccs in a 10 cc band) I know what restriction is finally and the weight is coming off quicker. Try to be patient. I know that is hard, I had a lot of trouble and was very frustrated. The thing to remember is that at the end of one year you will basically be in the same place with your weight loss as those who lost right away - it tends to even out. So we need to look at the overall weight lost in one year and not worry about when each pound was lost.