Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello LBT Citizens....

I have been hanging out in LBT for a while now. I am not banded yet, but I'm working towards that.

This site had helped me so much! I first came here asking for a recommendation on the doctors. I ended up with a lot of great advices and also good friends. Now, I have another question for you all to ponder.

Who would you choose...between a young(er) doctor who had less than 10 years experience and an old(er) doctor who had 20+ years of experience?

Grant it, that both doctors charge the same for Lapband procedures, operate at the same hospital, both include 1 year of fills, similar price for fills after one year.

Some of my friends said to go for the older doctor since he has more experience, (but what if he retires soon? Who will do my fill?). My other friends said the younger doctor is probably a better choice because he will pay more attention to you and might do a better job.

I'm so confuse. I don't know who I should pick. If you could do it all over, who would you pick as your doctor?

thank you so much, my (soon-to-be) bandster family~!

Hello LBT Citizens....

I have been hanging out in LBT for a while now. I am not banded yet, but I'm working towards that.

This site had helped me so much! I first came here asking for a recommendation on the doctors. I ended up with a lot of great advices and also good friends. Now, I have another question for you all to ponder.

Who would you choose...between a young(er) doctor who had less than 10 years experience and an old(er) doctor who had 20+ years of experience?

Grant it, that both doctors charge the same for Lapband procedures, operate at the same hospital, both include 1 year of fills, similar price for fills after one year.

Some of my friends said to go for the older doctor since he has more experience, (but what if he retires soon? Who will do my fill?). My other friends said the younger doctor is probably a better choice because he will pay more attention to you and might do a better job.

I'm so confuse. I don't know who I should pick. If you could do it all over, who would you pick as your doctor?

thank you so much, my (soon-to-be) bandster family~!

I would go for the younger doctor not because the other might retire but because the medical field changes so fast and so many new things come about. Someone who is younger and more into building a career might keep up more on these things. I have found with my kids pediatricians in the past you can't teach old dogs new tricks so I just use that as a rule of thumb.

the question to me would be how much experience they have doing the band--not overall experience. The younger(or older) may have the most lapband experience

After a year of research, I consulted with an older doc in June 07. He was fast talking with not a lot of info, arrogant and a grouchy old man. He made me feel very vulnerable. I walked away scared, unsure of myself, and overwhelmed with the process - after insurance, I paid him $34 to make me feel that way. He had lots of pre-op stuff to do - it scared the crap out of me. BUT I didn't follow through out of fear.

With the help of my therapist, I began exploring another angle of wls - a one stop shopping outfit like a hospital with lots of pre & post op care. The doctor is mid to late 30s, and he has SO MUCH good information. As a 36 year old woman - it meant a lot for a doctor to make a CURRENT presentation with CURRENT information. Lots of research-based info presented on powerpoint - he knew how to work a remote for the lcd projector. Why does that matter? b/c I do that stuff everyday and I can relate to someone who knows, presents, and manages his info very well. He was straight and to the point. My 1-1 with him last week was wonderful - he recognized my nervousness immediately and put me at ease. He recognizes that wls doesn't need a lot of pre-op hoops to jump through. I thought this was interesting, especially since my insurance doesn't require me to jump through those hoops either. Basically, I have the BMI, the co-morbidities, and the family medical history to support my need for weight loss - isn't that enough? I can email the nurse with any questions that I have - I've had plenty and they all get answered. He does all the fills himself - he is very thorough with aftercare.

I just feel like I am getting a young(er) surgeon with current information and practices.

After my psych-eval today, I found out that the first old doc I visited doesn't have a good rep and has horrible aftercare results. The second doc (and the one I am choosing to stick with) has great results from his patients.

Here's a bit more personal experience....like you need it......I was born in 1972. The doc who delivered me told my mother that I would need a pap smear every year starting at age 14 - he said that's the age that all girls should go. So, in 1986, I had my first pap smear - I was scared, crying, and holding Momma's hand. It hurt and didn't understand why. I kept going to the doc each year. Then we got health insurance with daddy's job and we went to a new doctor. So, my mother marched me in for my annual pap smear. The first question this doc had was "Why are you here?" To our shock, he told us that the old doc's guidance wasn't current. He said that pap smears aren't needed until girls are sexually active. I didn't have another one till I was sexually active.

Truly, it's apples v. oranges, old v. new, etc. For me - it's the young doc. Do your research about the surgery and the surgeon and do what feel right. It's your body.

Edited by triser72

Thank you so much!

All the replies really help me decide on the doctor!

I guess having a lot of experience is great, but if they get too comfortable doing things in one way, it wouldn't be good.

And having less experience is acceptable if they are willing to learn new technology.

Go with the one you like best. Otherwise, which one has done more lapbands?? The lap-band hasn't been around for that long...less than 10 years in the U.S.

I would go with the best Dr. just because someone was doing something longer don't mean they are the best at it. I see it everyday on my job

I think I made my decision...

I'm going with the younger doctor, even though he had done less Lap-band than the other doctor. I've heard from his patient than he did a very good job.

The older doctor's assistant told me that the doctor could perform the band surgery in less than 45 mins. At first I felt that it was a sign of expertise, but now, I just feel that I don't really care how long it takes for the doctor to do the surgery, I just want him to do a GREAT job.

Thank you so much for all your comments and advice!

"One more step closer to being a bandster!"