Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brooke from Annapolis, Maryland

Hello all! I am just beginning my lap band journey. I have been researching the procedure for about a year, and have finally decided it might be the right fit for me. I have been struggling with my weight since I was about 8 years old (I am now 22) and am just no longer willing to accept living my life in misery.

I have tried just about every diet there is, and have been the most successful on weight watchers. That said, every time I lose weight on weight watchers (or on any diet) I end up gaining it back within a year. I cannot seem to keep weight off for any period of time. Its so frustrating!

I think the lap-band procedure can help me with this. Right now, I have a BMI of 40.5. I believe that based on this BMI, my insurance will cover the surgery. I have carefirst Blue Cross Blue Shield. Does anyone else have this insurance?

I am interested to find out more about everyone's exerieces before, during and after the surgery. How hard is the lifestyle to stick to? What kinds of things are you supposed to be eating on a daily basis? I have heard I cannot eat coconut anymore after surgery, why?

Also, what were your friends and family's reactions surgery? I have had people tell me they think its "the easy way out," but to me, it doesn't seem very easy at all. It just seems like a way to help, and even safegaurd your hard work at weight loss. Thoughts?

Finally, does anyone live near Annapolis, MD who would be willing to talk more with me about the surgery?

Anyone had surgery at GBMC in Baltimore? That's where I plan to have mine done. I am going in for an information session in 2 weeks and cant wait.

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Best,

Brooke

Hi Brook, welcome to LBT!

I was just banded on Feb. 11th, and I have not had a fill yet but I an already sense some foods that already give me problems or most likely will in the future. I know I'll have problems with breads. That's ok, I really shouldn't be eating it anyway!

I also have had much trouble keeping the weight off, so I think the band was my best choice. I started with a BMI long before surgery, so I had more weight to lose than you, but as long as you ensure most of your choices are the right ones, you'll do fine. Be sure to follow your post-op diet, it isn't just to lose weight, it is so that your stomach will have time to heal. You want to stave off any erosion or slips!

Go to as many seminars or dietician classes as you can! Read, read & read some more! Get in as much information as you can, this is no easy task and you will want to be ready for that.

I do have Blue Shield but it is Hill Physicians in Sacramento, CA, so ours might not be too similar. I did have to complete a six month dietician course prior to approval, so be prepared for anything like that. If you do, don't become depressed, you will find your appointments are very helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi Brooke and congratulations on making such a wonderful decision at such a young age. I was banded on April 30, 2007. I have lost about 90 pounds so far and I have to say it is the best decision I have ever made in my life (aside from getting married and having children).

When I first made the announcement to my family that I was seeking the surgery, my mother was against it. Her comment was..."I'll help you...I'll exercise with you". Well...what did she plan on doing while I was eating everything in sight when no one was around? I don't think she truly understood my eating addiction. So...I had the surgery and ever since then my mother has done nothing but compliment me. In fact, I can now wear some of her clothes. It's truly a wonderful feeling. I was in a 2X (22-24) and have recently bought a couple of outfits that are a size 12. She's just beside herself and so am I.

I haven't heard anything about not eating cocunut...maybe someone else can comment on that. I will say that everyone seems to be different with what they can tolerate with the band. I have difficulty eating bread...some don't. I can eat popcorn with NO problem...some can't. You have to try things to see what works for you and what doesn't.

Exercise...that's my downfall...I think that I would have lost at least 15 more pounds by now if I was strict with my exercise. I really need to get on the ball with that. I walk, jog, do Water aerobics and do the treadmill. I am thinking of looking into either jazzercise or a personal traininer.

My surgery was done at George Washington University Hospital by Dr. Fred Brody. There are folks on here who have gone to Baltimore and hopefully they will tell you about their experience. I can, however highly recomment GW Hospital and Dr. Brody. I had a wonderful experience.

I am about 45 minutes from Annapolis. I live in Waldorf. Do you know where that is? Well...good luck to you on your journey. If you have any questions or just want to talk, don't hesitate to PM me. BEST WISHES!!!