Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am freaking out!!!! Blood work!

I am a worrier by nature... so I had to go get labs drawn... My surgeon wants to test all kinds of stuff so he can give me "clearence" for surgery. If any thing is "abnormal" then that will have to be addressed prior to surgery. So today I get my labs results and to my horror my fasting gluclose and some other test they do for diabetes/insulin resistance PCOS were both HIGH! Not extremely, but still high. My Glucose was 112 (Normal is 65-99)and my HGB A1C is 6.1 (normal is 4.8-5.9). My Cholesterol is high, none too bad except my Triglycerides are really high. The SGPT was 50 (normal is 5-40) which I think is what they use to check your liver. The report said something about alcohol abuse (that is definately not the case with me), viral hepatitis (WHAT???) or a fatty liver. I'm hoping for the fatty liver... but what does it all mean???. I am really worried about the Gluclose stuff and the riglycerides! Just 6 month ago my Gluclose and stuff was all normal... can diabetes or pre-diabetes come on that quick??? 6 months ago my Cholesterol was still a little high but not as bad as it is now. I am starting a pre-op diet anyway just to jump start my weight loss, but what can I do to lower everything else? Any help or advise is greatly appriciated!

Sounds like you are experiencing some of the complications of being overweight. Good news is many of those things can be improved with weight loss and if you are trying for ins. approval, you now have several co-morbidities.

If you are not a big drinker than you might just have a fatty liver which can also be improved with losing weight.

Sounds like you are getting banded at the right time for your body before you end up a diabetic.

I was expecting high glucose but to my surprise my triglycerides were through the roof (420.85) and so was my cholesterol (271). Also on ultrasound my liver was seen to be fatty. I wasnt expecting this and was extremely scared of the results. I completly changed my diet from that point as I am only 30 years old and my starting BMI was about 37. This is a real eye opener and I would have never thought I had these levels, I was a heart attack waiting to happen!!!

I will go and be retested this week, fingers crossed :wub:

I was expecting high glucose but to my surprise my triglycerides were through the roof (420.85) and so was my cholesterol (271). Also on ultrasound my liver was seen to be fatty. I wasnt expecting this and was extremely scared of the results. I completly changed my diet from that point as I am only 30 years old and my starting BMI was about 37. This is a real eye opener and I would have never thought I had these levels, I was a heart attack waiting to happen!!!

I will go and be retested this week, fingers crossed :biggrin:

I know it has scared me too... Will a fatty liver prevent me from getting surgery??? Does a fasting glucose of 112 mean I am now diabetic or borderline diabetic??? I am totally freaking about the triglycerides mine were like 300!!!

I know it has scared me too... Will a fatty liver prevent me from getting surgery??? Does a fasting glucose of 112 mean I am now diabetic or borderline diabetic??? I am totally freaking about the triglycerides mine were like 300!!!

I got this info about elevated glucose levels from the internet:

Impaired fasting glycaemia (IFG) is a pre-diabetic state of dysglycemia, associated with insulin resistance and increased risk cardiovascular pathology, although of lesser risk than Impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). IFG often progresses to type 2 diabetes mellitus, a recent study citing the average time for progression as less than three years.[1] IFG is also a risk factor for mortality.[2]

It is characterised by an intermediately raised fasting glucose level, but less than would qualify for type 2 diabetes mellitus. On challenging with an oral glucose tolerance test, normal blood glucose levels are maintained after 2 hours, unlike IGT.

Criteria

fasting glucose level > 5.6 mmol/l (100 mg/dl) and < 6.9 mmol/l (125mg/dl).[3] [4]

The criteria will continue to change as many endocrinologists believe an impaired fasting glycose may eventually include fasting glucose between a high 95-100 mg/dl.

Many overweight people have fatty livers and that's why so many Dr's have them on a liquid diet before surgery. I guess a rapid weight loss and change in diet can have a rapid positive effect on a fatty liver.

I got this info about elevated glucose levels from the internet:

Impaired fasting glycaemia (IFG) is a pre-diabetic state of dysglycemia, associated with insulin resistance and increased risk cardiovascular pathology, although of lesser risk than Impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). IFG often progresses to type 2 diabetes mellitus, a recent study citing the average time for progression as less than three years.[1] IFG is also a risk factor for mortality.[2]

It is characterised by an intermediately raised fasting glucose level, but less than would qualify for type 2 diabetes mellitus. On challenging with an oral glucose tolerance test, normal blood glucose levels are maintained after 2 hours, unlike IGT.

Criteria

fasting glucose level > 5.6 mmol/l (100 mg/dl) and < 6.9 mmol/l (125mg/dl).[3] [4]

The criteria will continue to change as many endocrinologists believe an impaired fasting glycose may eventually include fasting glucose between a high 95-100 mg/dl.

Many overweight people have fatty livers and that's why so many Dr's have them on a liquid diet before surgery. I guess a rapid weight loss and change in diet can have a rapid positive effect on a fatty liver.

Thanks for the info! I have already started partial liquid diet. I don't know when my surgery will be yet, but i'm getting ready now. Maybe that will have a positive effect on my "fatty liver"

The Dr. said something about Insulin resistance and PCOS. I have many symptoms of PCOS but my ovaries and uterus are free of cysts so I have never had a DX of PCOS, and he said something about the Glucose and HGB A1C showing insulin resistance to DX my PCOS. It is all very confusing to me... Is there anyone who has PCOS and can shed some light on this for me? I have heard weight loss can correct/cure PCOS??? Is this true? I really want to have more kids one day, and right now I have what they call 2ndry infertility.

It's always bad to try to intrepret your own tests. The ones your surgeon had performed were probably more accurate that those your primary care doc ordered.

Normal for obese people is not the same for the average population...If it was there would be less reason for the surgery...Have faith, with this help you will have much better numbers this time next year.

I am pre-diabetic, your A1C is higher, but the fasting glucose normal range is 70-120 not 65-99...not sure who told you that. So don't worry too much about that, they won't do anything for the glucose levels, it will come down when you have the surgery, it's one of those things that goes away after losing 10-20% of your weight. the fatty liver...that will just mean the pre-op diet will have to be strict so they can get around it to do the surgery. i am not sure about the hep...hopefully that isn't an issue

I am pre-diabetic, your A1C is higher, but the fasting glucose normal range is 70-120 not 65-99...not sure who told you that. So don't worry too much about that, they won't do anything for the glucose levels, it will come down when you have the surgery, it's one of those things that goes away after losing 10-20% of your weight. the fatty liver...that will just mean the pre-op diet will have to be strict so they can get around it to do the surgery. i am not sure about the hep...hopefully that isn't an issue

65-99 was the "normal range" that was on the lab report... and on the report it was flaged as high. I know different labs have different "ranges". What does the AC1 mean? As far as the hepatitis goes, when my results came back high on that one for your liver, i googled "high SGPT blood test results" and it said it could be from alcohol abuse, viral hepatitis or most likely a fatty liver... I'm sure it is the fatty liver and not hep, but like i said I am a worrier!!! Thanks to all for the feedback, and keep it comming! I am starting to feel calmer now!

70-120 is the normal range for Diabetics. if your blood sugar falls higher or lower then they consider it a major problem. most people are under 120 and around 100, but to cut off at 99 is pretty strange.

A1C is your blood sugar over a 30 day period, much more accurate than a one day fasting glucose. You are most likely pre-diabetic or insulin resistant with your A1C level taken in mind. but like I said, losing 10-20% of your total body weight should completely get rid of that risk.

Yup, normal fasting bloodwork is 65-99 and yes might be higher for someone already diagnosed as diabetic.

But I'm sure the lap band and weight loss will help you improve all those numbers and seems lucky to me, you are doing this now before you ended up in a year or two with diabetes.

Stick to that pre-op diet and your liver will be good to go!

Just a little info to help ease your mind...

70-99 indicates a normal result

100-125 indicates PROBABLE(further testing required) impaired fasting glucose or prediabetes

126 and higher indicates PROBABLE diabetes

According to the American Diabetes Association you must have 2 separate tests to indicate an actual diagnosis of diabetes. There is also a glucose challenge test which requires fasting then consumption of a glucose drink with blood testing 2 hours later(like they do when you're pregnant).

As far as cholesterol triglycerides can be falsely elevated even if you have eaten fatty/fried etc foods during the couple of days prior or if you weren't fasting at the time of the test.

Your liver(if you aren't a drinker or have a history of hepatitis etc) is probably fatty.

I know all of this is alarming, and it should be. However, you are being proactive in your health and the testing was done BECAUSE you are making good and healthy changes in your life. By losing weight and making healthier choices in food and exercise you are changing your fate. This certainly is an eye opener but at this point, it is reversible. I wish you the best on your journey!

I have just scheduled an appointment for a lapband seminar.

I have so many questions to those of you who have had the surgery.

What was done before the surgery? Did you suffer pain afterwards?

How many doctor visits did you have to have before the surgery.

I have just scheduled an appointment for a lapband seminar.

I have so many questions to those of you who have had the surgery.

What was done before the surgery? Did you suffer pain afterwards?

How many doctor visits did you have to have before the surgery.

Welcome Alamogirl.

You will get a lot of answers when you go to the seminar. The doctor will tell you what he requires as far as tests, visits, etc. As with any surgery you will experience some pain. To what degree depends on each person. Keep reading the posts and you get a wealth of information.