Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first negative reaction

Don't ya just love it? "Taking the easy way out"!??? Like surgery, recovery, emotional, & complete lifestyle change will be easy? I suppose the nicotine patch is the "easy way out" for smokers? Insulin is the "easy way out" for diabetics???!! I could go on, but..... I just love the ideas I get here for replies to stupid comments. :wub:

I know! Some people just don't think before they open their big mouths. They don't understand that this is a total lifestyle change. The Band is just a tool to help the process. You can get the band and still eat bread potatoes, mac & cheese and sweets, and you are not gonna get the best results possible. It still requires a lot of discipline!

I guess you just can't fix stupid. People who try to talk you out of it don't know anything about what they are talking about. I didn't have anyone tell me I shouldn't do it. I had several people tell me I didn't need it (those are the people that really love me) but so far it's been very supportive. Yesterday was the first time I have eaten with my extended family. They had lots of questions about "isn't that too much (2 ounces of ham, 1/4 cup of potatos and three greenbeans) while they were piling their huge dinner plates high but I just continued eating with my shrimp fork and enjoyed their questions. Hang in there and don't let anyone talk you out of what you and your surgeon know is right for you. It is well worth it. No it isn't the easy way out by any means, surgery hurts, turning down dessert hurts, liquid diet for two or three weeks hurts, eating only half a cup of food while everyone else is pigging out hurts, but in the long run it is sooooo worth it. It takes work and discipline but it is worth all of the hard work when the ten year old jeans fit again. Hang in there.

This morning in church a nurse from my work came up to me. I had told her my plans on being banded, she had been supportive. But today she came up and said she had to talk to me prior to my surgery (which is Tuesday) Don't know why but I asked if she was going to try and "talk me out of it". She said yes, so I said I'd rather not. She walked away.

I'm sure she had the best of intentions and had heard about someone that had a bad band experience, but, two days out , I didn't need the negativity.

I have seen many murses be banded. Most were surgical nurses. In fact my brother is a nurse and so is his wife. They both were curious and suggested that I not get the surgery but once they clearly understood that getting banded was nothing like a sleeve or Bypass they chilled. Now they even suggest to others to talk to me about gastric banding. Funny how things work huh?

As for telling anyone that you are going for banding I suggest that you keep it to yoursef. With the exception of immediate family ect.

Matt

Its not really a negative response, but my good friend keeps giving me the "are you sure you want to do this?" She's overweight too, and keeps suggesting the things I've already tried like food logs, excercise schedules, etc. I believe she'll be supportive, and just doesn't know much about the band. DH is like "lets go!"

I dont know if anyone has posted anything similar to this for you because I didnt wanna read all the replies..(sorry :eek:) But...The only people who have ever said anything negative to me were people who have never EVER had a weight problem themselves....and I'm betting she's probably just another one of these...Brush em off, and even if people think its an "easy" way out :)....forget them.... Hey, a way out is a way out...no matter how easy they THINK it is. Besides what do THEY care how "easy" it is??? Sorry about the ranting...people just p*$$ me off with their snide remarks about other peoples business.

Edited by mfbiznit
didnt make sense the first time

My thoughts for anyone who tells you they know a horror story about someone's experience with the Band: I know LOTS of people with horror stories due to carrying an extra hundred pounds on their bodies.

The only people who have ever said anything negative to me were people who have never EVER had a weight problem themselves.....

Keep in mind that I have told very few people so far, but in my experience, the most negative people are those who do have a weight problem. Their fear is different. They are afraid they will loose their "fat" friend and that I'll be someone different. I don't really know how to make them feel more secure in the fact that I am their friend, overweight or not.

Now, my thin friends like to say to me "why don't you go back to Weight Watchers, it's always worked for you before?". Yeah, it worked so well that each time it worked I gained back more than I lost! How can that be considered a success? I can't do it on my own and I'm tired of feeling bad for that. I haven't even been banded yet and I've never worked so hard at any other diet plan. Yeah, this is the easy way out!!! Puhleeze!!!!:)

Keep in mind that I have told very few people so far, but in my experience, the most negative people are those who do have a weight problem. Their fear is different. They are afraid they will loose their "fat" friend and that I'll be someone different. I don't really know how to make them feel more secure in the fact that I am their friend, overweight or not.

Now, my thin friends like to say to me "why don't you go back to Weight Watchers, it's always worked for you before?". Yeah, it worked so well that each time it worked I gained back more than I lost! How can that be considered a success? I can't do it on my own and I'm tired of feeling bad for that. I haven't even been banded yet and I've never worked so hard at any other diet plan. Yeah, this is the easy way out!!! Puhleeze!!!!:)

I totally agree that it is definitely NOT the easy way out...I was just talking about other peoples opinions (why should they care). I dont have any overweight friends...So I havent gotten that take on it yet. :eek:

I might email my friend an informative link. We've been friends since 3rd grade when I was a stick & she was chubby. Both of our weights have gone up and down over the years, and now we're both overweight again, and have been for a while. I'm going to keep doing my research (mostly on the "head hunger" issue) and not bring it up to her again unless I have to. Like I said, she's not UNsupportive, just worried, I think.