Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first negative reaction

This morning in church a nurse from my work came up to me. I had told her my plans on being banded, she had been supportive. But today she came up and said she had to talk to me prior to my surgery (which is Tuesday) Don't know why but I asked if she was going to try and "talk me out of it". She said yes, so I said I'd rather not. She walked away.

I'm sure she had the best of intentions and had heard about someone that had a bad band experience, but, two days out , I didn't need the negativity.

What I don't understand is why someone would think that hearing some story (probably 2nd or 3rd hand) about someone having a bad experience would suddenly completely change whether or not getting banded was a good idea. Am I missing something?

Something can go wrong with every medical procedure, whether elective or otherwise. It's not like the idea that something can go wrong is a totally new one you haven't considered at all prior to now, right?

I think it's kind of cool you told her you weren't interested. I probably would have listened just to be polite and then been seething all day about it.

Good for you, not allowing someone else to plant negatives in your head about something that can be such a positive in your life. I'm also very glad that she had the good sense to walk away instead of standing there and trying to talk you out of it anyway.

Good luck on Tuesday!

You know i have people at work all the time everyday trying to so call 'talk me out of it'. I'm like if you are going to pray for me and be supportive then just do it. If you feel it's not going to help me then oh well.. Its not like if I need someone to scratch my back you are going to come over, or if I need some Water and i dont feel like getting up you are going to come over and bring me some so plz don't act like u care that much. People say things like that because they are so afraid that when you drop the weight you will turn into a diffrent person .

This is exactly why no one but my husband knows my plan to have the LapBand. The only one I have to face with every decision I make in life is the Lord. Have a GREAT week! The first week of the rest of your life!

I'm an RN in a busy hospital and so far I've had a mixed response. I get TONS of questions about the procdure. " Do you REALLY want to do this"? Like i just woke up one day and decided to have surgery! There has been a few " your not that big" well.. how big do I have to get for you to say i'm big... 272 pounds is big to me! So far on the pre op diet i've lost 20 pounds in 2 months, which for me is pretty damn good. One of the Dr.'s that i talk to at work asked me again last week. " Do you really need to do this?" and i know he just looking out for me and i respect that but he also doesn't walk around every day 100 lbs over weight and until someone does that you will NEVER know how we feel! I work with a girl who had gastric bypass about one year ago and she has lost about 118 lbs. I think she looks great but more importantly she feels so much better. The girls compare her to me.... they tell me " I hope your don't turn out like that she looks to drawn out in the face". It drives me nuts everytime i hear that. She looks so good and people just can't stand it. They would have rathered her fat and unhappy to make them look better. I really believe thats what it all comes down too. How sad it that! I have never once asked any of my coworkers there opinion about what i'm doing or the surgery i'm having but they have NO problem giving it to me!

Good for you. That is exactly the reason I haven't told anyone except my immediate family. I really don't want their opinion. I agree that they hear stories and believe them. We have done research and based our decisions on truths. I tell people after the surgery...maybe...

I chose not to tell anyone but my husband and children. I don't know if it was that I was scared of failure or I just didn't want to be judged by thin people saying "Why don't you just push your plate away" I too work with a girl that is always saying something about someone that has lost weight (no matter how they lost it) that they look bad and their face is sunk in, I just tell her that they just look different and your not used to the way they look and if you had never met them before you would say that they looked HOT!

You know i have people at work all the time everyday trying to so call 'talk me out of it'. I'm like if you are going to pray for me and be supportive then just do it. If you feel it's not going to help me then oh well.. Its not like if I need someone to scratch my back you are going to come over, or if I need some Water and i dont feel like getting up you are going to come over and bring me some so plz don't act like u care that much. People say things like that because they are so afraid that when you drop the weight you will turn into a diffrent person .

This made me laugh-- you are SO RIGHT.....

Kudos....

People only show they care when it's convenient...that's not caring

Don't let negativity get to you! I am probably a couple of months away from surgery, and a co-worker of mine keep hounding me to join weight watchers with her. I finally told her about getting the LB and she told me I was taking the easy way out and I would get more satisfaction from loosing it myself on my own. My feeling were hurt at first, but then I told her that the band is no gaurentee. I still will have to work to loose every pound. The LB is a TOOL to help me loose, just like weight watchers is a TOOL which is helping her loose.

Don't let negativity get to you! I am probably a couple of months away from surgery, and a co-worker of mine keep hounding me to join weight watchers with her. I finally told her about getting the LB and she told me I was taking the easy way out and I would get more satisfaction from loosing it myself on my own. My feeling were hurt at first, but then I told her that the band is no gaurentee. I still will have to work to loose every pound. The LB is a TOOL to help me loose, just like weight watchers is a TOOL which is helping her loose.

I'm telling u i get the same crap at work.. and i'm like nothing is a quick fix. If a person loves to eat and they can no longer eat as much how much of a quick fix is that. If i love snicker bars and I have a giant size snickers which i feel will take my hunger away :wub: so why wait lol. But seriously if im use to eating an entire snickers bar and i try and eat it and it gets stuck and i throw it back up what kind of quick fix is that? You could say that it's a quick fix for her as well if someone tells u what to eat and prepare your meals for you that is a quick fix as well. Loosing weight is no joke. I lost weight before about 110lbs by eating right, not having bad Snacks, and working out like 3-hours a day 1 1/2 hrs 2xa day... what the hell... I don't have that kind of time any more. I have a 3-year old son and I am not going to kill myself working out like that. Now don't get me wrong if i can just work out like 30-60 minutes 4-5days a week that's cool but for me i wont loose anything unless i workout. My body is use to eating brown rice, grilled chicked, ground turkey and veggies.. i don't eat port or beef so i have to take it way to the next level without any add. help... So u are on the right track. Everything is not for everybody..

Luckily for me, 2 other people I work with had the band and they have been super supportive along with mostly everyone I have told that I am going to get it. Of course there are the few who say things like you should just eat lesss and work out.......hello...I have tried that my whole life and it hasn't worked or the little bit it has, has come back plus more....the only thing that matters is how I feel about getting the surgery. I am so excited and know that I will finally be able to do it and keep it off. For me it is like the light at the end of the very difficult weight loss tunnel that I know if I work hard and do what I am supposed to do and work out, I WILL lose the weight and it WILL stay off for once in my life.

Don't ya just love it? "Taking the easy way out"!??? Like surgery, recovery, emotional, & complete lifestyle change will be easy? I suppose the nicotine patch is the "easy way out" for smokers? Insulin is the "easy way out" for diabetics???!! I could go on, but..... I just love the ideas I get here for replies to stupid comments. :wub:

I've said this before, but I like to repeat myself. In what part of life do we not always want to take the easy way out? I'm not still doing my laundry on a rock by the river. I don't walk 18 miles to work. I use email and phones rather than writing letters every time I want to talk to someone. So what exactly is the big deal?

Oh, and there is no way this is the easy way out. This is the effective way out. Virgo, tell your weight watcher friend to check back with you in 12 months and compare success stories.

Don't ya just love it? "Taking the easy way out"!??? Like surgery, recovery, emotional, & complete lifestyle change will be easy? I suppose the nicotine patch is the "easy way out" for smokers? Insulin is the "easy way out" for diabetics???!! I could go on, but..... I just love the ideas I get here for replies to stupid comments. :wub:

You are so right!