Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been contemplating weight loss surgery for a few years now. I'm 33 years old, weigh 280 pounds at 5'9". I've tried all of the diets, been to weight loss campuses, and still no luck! Now I'm having more and more health problems from it including type II diabetes, high BP, high triglycerides, high cholesterol, knee, and back pain. I'm not scared of the surgery, but I am worried about the aftermath. I know that I'm obsessed with food, does the post surgical therapy really help you deal with this? Does everyone need plastic surgery? I work out a lot and am hoping to avoid that. Also, what is the rate of failure? I know two people who have had gastric bypass that have gained their weight back. I also am wondering what one does if they get pregnant, do they adjust the band? Sorry for all of the questions, but I appreciate any help! :biggrin2:

I can't stress enough that I believe you have to at least be on the path to understanding and changing your obession with food before surgery. At the minimum, I believe you need a real committment to reclaiming the power that you have given food in your life.

If you don't, it will be cold turkey, baby, and that is rough. If you don't go cold turkey, you may do some damage to yourself by eating recklessly or end up wanting the band removed and bewailing that you have it.

You will learn to be satisfied with feeling "not hungry" as opposed to "stuffed to the brim and almost sick".

I think that getting over the obession with food is a strong positive thing. I wasn't so obessed with food as I was a self medicator. I'm still working on it, but I've made great progress.

Only you can decide if you should do it. I would do it again a hundred times.

True verry true.. i just turned 34 in January and im 288 5'8 and i am going to have it as soon as they call me and give me a date... I have put it off long enough. Now i carry most of my weight in my hips and butt... some people call it being Thickk but I call it Fat... and not P.H.A.T. lol.. don't get me wrong i know i look good but the health factor over turned all others. Besides I figure that I have more to loose being over weight than having the procedure done and not being able to eat like a cow any more. Most of the times i am just plain hungry... and the appitate supressents i take don't even work any more to curve my hunger... but they do give me a little energy.. but the working out thing.. i do that also and I don't feel that I will have to have any type of sugery done after the fact. If you keep at working out and toning with weights eventually your body will pop back into shape... It also depends on how fast you loose it. Because the band allows you to loose it gradually toning should not be a prob. im guessing...

I'm 21 and I'm having the surgery this week. I'm scared, but I know it's for the best. I wish it was already over with. I have to spend the night in the hospital and I'm NOT looking forward to it.

Yes, I'm scared of:

-Lifestyle changes

-Pain post op

-Complications

-Needle at surgery

But I'm excited about

-Looking great!

-Being able to walk anywhere I want for as long as I want

-Going to the beach

-Being a normal 21 year old and wearing a hot-ass size jeans!

So, if your love for food outweighs your want to better yourself, I do not reccomend it... but if your want to look good and feel good seems better than that next burger... go for it. You won't regret it.