Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't freak'en communicate! AAAHHH

Just a vent here, no real point.

Last night I had a meeting with someone. His primary language is Spanish, not English however his English is better than most American born folks. Last night was the first time I have ever met the man.

My speaking style is much different from my writing style. Writing has never been my forte. I accept that, no biggie. Most communication is in real time anyway. Kewl Beans.

So I'm talking to this guy and trying to illustrate points and I was saying things such as:

Kewl Beans (yes, I use that in real time too and yes, I know)

The point is beyond most (referring to obesity related issues that non fatties don't get)

For Zog's sakes (hey, I'm not Christian)

Not with the program (not keeping up with the latest)

These aren't the best of examples, I can't think of details. But just visualize this conversation.

Poor Mexican dude is looking at me knowing full well his English is primo yet he doesn't understand a word I am saying. He asked for clarification and I explain using a different colorful expression thinking that one explains what I am trying to say. He still doesn't get it. I explain again and suddenly my friend is laughing realizing I can't speak like a person.

I realized, I speak in riddles.

I am now remembering a time when I was speaking to our house physician at a care home I used to run. I was speaking to he and his student. Every bloody time I would open my mouth he would translate to the student. The student was born in the US and only speaks English, HE didn't even understand me.

Okay, so there is always writing but if anyone knows my writing style that one is out too.

DAMN COMMUNICATION! The hell with it.

For me, language is closely linked to identity. The puns, metaphors and analogies that I use express who I am as much as they aid me in saying what I want to say.

When a situation is called for where I need to abandon these friends in the name of communication, I have a difficult choice to make: focus on getting my message across or seem boring, dull and colorless. All too often, I make the wrong choice.

Imagine trying to express yourself in another language - even then my reluctance to stick to simple communicative language has lead to non communication at best and hilariously embarrasing incidents at worst. You can learn alot about yourself by what language choices you make. It's ironic how often the goal of communication comes in second (at best) when we open our mouths!

On that note: WasaBubbleButt, I haven't read a post from you in a dog's day!!! Under what bushel have you been hiding your light lately? Don't be a stranger!

Sounds to me like you speak in a very idiosyncratic and colourful way. This is kinda cool, I think. I have my own little problem with language. I am awful fond of the f-bomb! Indeed I am kind of addicted to it.

On that note: WasaBubbleButt, I haven't read a post from you in a dog's day!!! Under what bushel have you been hiding your light lately? Don't be a stranger!

Hey Bandpal... haven't seen much of you lately but I guess you are correct, I've not been posting much. Busy in my personal life. Life is always changing and moving and sometimes I just can't keep up! ;o)

How are you doing?

Sounds to me like you speak in a very idiosyncratic and colourful way. This is kinda cool, I think. I have my own little problem with language. I am awful fond of the f-bomb! Indeed I am kind of addicted to it.

You are a person I can relate to, even though you call 'em as you see 'em, I still fully understand your point and where you are going with that point.

The f-bomb seems to be universal, everyone understands that one! ;o)

Wasa--lol....YOU not being able to communicate? Say it ain't so! lol.... I call the fault on him, not you. I have no problem conversing with you. Maybe it really was a cultural thing. He may not be as well versed as you! :crying:

Really, but kewl Beans?? lol....I am SO SURE! lol...sorry had to throw that one in! lol..:thumbup:

Wasa--lol....YOU not being able to communicate? Say it ain't so! lol.... I call the fault on him, not you. I have no problem conversing with you. Maybe it really was a cultural thing. He may not be as well versed as you! :crying:

Really, but kewl Beans?? lol....I am SO SURE! lol...sorry had to throw that one in! lol..:thumbup:

Hey yeah! It is him and not me!

That's really rad!

Hi everyone

I am English and sometimes when I am watching American TV I don't understand certain phrases, however I have been really pleasantly surprised by everyone's written English. It is really great, and I understand all of it. I always thought we were divided by a common language, but we aren't.

We all have our local dialects here in the UK and sometimes we do not understand people from other areas. We are just a small country so the differences in speech in both the US and Canada must vary a great deal more.

However I don't understand the "f-bomb" thing green, does it mean that you use the "f word" a lot?

Great to see you back Wasa and Green (That would make a good name for a business LOL)

However I don't understand the "f-bomb" thing green, does it mean that you use the "f word" a lot?

Great to see you back Wasa and Green (That would make a good name for a business LOL)

YUP! She uses it like a sailor! lol...

In real life as with internet communication, I often speak in analogy -- without even realizing I'm doing it.

Fine and dandy, until I remember that most people don't make connections through analogy, so to them -- all I'm doing is now talking about a traffic light instead of cooking... or some such shite.

I realized how much I rely on expressions when my in-laws were here last/this month (they're not native English speakers) and had to constantly re-think how to get some point across.

It's interesting, how little we notice it until something situational forces us to look a little more closely.

(Green, I'm an f-bomber too, or "sailor mouth" as my mom calls it... but you have to take the good with the bad, no?)

WasaBubbleButt, I haven't read a post from you in a dog's day!!! Under what bushel have you been hiding your light lately? Don't be a stranger!

This made me LOL. Several years ago some friends who'd lived in Germany for many years sponsored an immigrant. We were often having to translate my colloquialisms for her. Including but not limited to "Hey, Monica, I haven't seen you on a coon's age".

A year or so later I happened by their house and she was there, her greeting caught me off guard, "Pam, I wonder how many raccoons have died since last I saw you?"

LOL Bless her heart -- she got an "E" for effort!

btw -- seems I haven't been seeing as many WASa posts as before, either!

I love idioms. And I swear quite a bit. I love puns and sarcasm!

However, I grew up in a house where one parent was German and one was Hungarian and their common language was English. I was forever trying to rationalize idioms for them. My father ranted about the value of a public school education, "Vat da hell are dey teaching you?!"

To add to the mix I now work at Deaf school where sign language is beautiful in it's clarity of thought and complexity, but it lacks the circuitous approach much us of like. It's been a challenge to say the least. Or, “ASL, Hard!”

At any rate it's fun to see our language and how it impacts us and others. Thanks for sharing this.