Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tortillas and rice?

Hey guys,

My dietician said that rice = caution and I don't see tortillas anywhere on my lists. I was wondering if and when these should be re-introduced and by how much? What does rice do to you that it = caution? I know it swells but is it a big problem? Thanks! :thumbdown:

Shame, because I really love rice esp. brown rice it really tastes good to me and brown rice is very good for you, too:sad:. Oh well, I guess maybe some day I'll try it but not now.

weight.png

As a Texan it does sadden me that tortillas are off the menu. However, as a Breakfast taco addict, I suspect they are part of how I got to where I was pre-surgery. After almost three weeks I have thought about them but no way. I have heard to many horror stories about white bread and tortillas. I can live without them.

I did eat a little nice in some Soup and it worked well, but it was super moist. However, I tried couscous. Thinking "hey, it's tiny. I bet it will be easy to eat." I couldn't have been more wrong. About 3 bites in it would feel like I have a cinder block on my chest. YUCK! I tossed the left overs and moved on.

Edited by Texgirly

Both are carbs and carbs convert into sugar as soon as they are consumed that is why your blood sugar level climbs so fast also any thing that is bleached or enriched is no good, but the brown rice in moderation is ok. I have always been a big bread and Tortilla person and it is hard to stay away from them. But if you need to have a tortilla it is better to have a corn tortilla and of course not fried...:biggrin2: remember HI Protein, low Carbs. Good Luck every one.

I don't have a problem with rice, it's pretty filling too.

Tortillas are another story. Maybe if I ate them plain and slow(why bother).. but if it's like a burrito or something, instant problem on the first bite. I like to eat fillings out of tortilla things if I have to go to a Mexican restaurant.

i never have a problem with rice. or couscous for that matter.

maybe it is the way i eat it. i try to mix it with my vegetables. and usually with some sort of a sauce. it goes down fine that way.

and i usually eat brown rice or basmati rice.

maybe tortillas do cause a problem. if i eat them with meat it is a problem, but if i eat it with vegetables, once again, it goes down fine. especially if there is a lot of salsa involved.

I tried rice in a Pakistani dish and it was fine. It was basmati rice though and no starch or anything washed off of it when rinsed so that might have something to do with it. I made sure to chew it really well and I ate it with vegetables and chicken... it was good. :-) I'm going to have to cut way back on the starches I've been consuming... I was so sick a couple of weeks ago that I couldn't eat anything and now that I have an appetite back, it's like I want to eat everything... but I'm going in for my first fill on Tuesday so I expect that may change... :crying:

No reg. rice for me... and I order enchilada -no tortilla- all the time. chips seem to go down fine- high cal. and fats... but go down... cooked tortilla on enchilada no way!

I also am tortilla and rice addict. I understand the benefits of staying away from both. But I guess IF I am very hard pressed to eat tortilla my chicken tortilla Soup would be the best thing. :ohmy:

I can't do flour tortillas (or pretty much any bread product made from flour) -- feel "stuck" after only a bite or two!

But I can eat corn tortillas. And have handled rice (white and brown), but only in small quantities, not because I can't, but because I know I don't need to!

When I got my first fill I used to eat Wrap all the time w/ chicken and low-fat ranch.... but now on my second fill if I eat anything like bread or tortillas, even if I chew them well, it gets stuck. So I havent had a wrap for almost month.... had to choose new food to eat dinner time.

I havent had much problem with rice but I try to stick with brown if I eat rice.