Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

This sight is great!! (love it:tt1:) I have learned so much from everybody on here and it really helps. I have a few questions to ask. :cool2: I am using Dr. Miles and I was wanting to know a little bit about what to expect. I mean hows the diet before surgery, what happened before they put you to sleep and what they did just after surgery. Oh and what did they tell you to do when you went home? I ask a lot of ?'s don't I.... lol:tt2:

This sight is great!! (love it:tt1:) I have learned so much from everybody on here and it really helps. I have a few questions to ask. :cool2: I am using Dr. Miles and I was wanting to know a little bit about what to expect. I mean hows the diet before surgery, what happened before they put you to sleep and what they did just after surgery. Oh and what did they tell you to do when you went home? I ask a lot of ?'s don't I.... lol

This sight is great!! (love it:tt1:) I have learned so much from everybody on here and it really helps. I have a few questions to ask. :cool2: I am using Dr. Miles and I was wanting to know a little bit about what to expect. I mean hows the diet before surgery, what happened before they put you to sleep and what they did just after surgery. Oh and what did they tell you to do when you went home? I ask a lot of ?'s don't I.... lol

Asking questions is perfectly fine.. that's what we are here for!

As for MY journey....

The presugery diet was liquids for 24 hrs and nothing after 12 ( I think.. I do know that it wasn't the same as you hear alot of here... no 2 week diet etc) The night before you have to drink that NASTY junk to clean you out. I mixed mine with white grape juice and it really helped! I just can't drink that juice anymore haha.. it gives me flashbacks.

Before they put you to sleep.... they put me in this little holding room and did some vitals... Veronica came in and talked with me and my husband. They took me back to give me some resting medicine.... I remember cutting up with the nurses and then being moved to the operating room. I remember moving onto the table and seeing that big light above me and that was it.

When I woke up I was in recovery and quite honestly, in alot of pain! They eventually moved me to another recovery room where I stayed until I could walk around the halls and use the bathroom... then went home. At the time - and the week after - I thought I was dying... but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Ok question...is it like having a baby via c-section? I think if I can handle 3 of them suckers I can handle this! I am getting really excited. I go tomorrow for my EGD and then I pray I get a surgery date. I am waiting for this part of my journey to end and then I can start my new life. I'm sure like you - you feel like a whole new person! I just can't wait!!!!

Ok question...is it like having a baby via c-section? I think if I can handle 3 of them suckers I can handle this! I am getting really excited. I go tomorrow for my EGD and then I pray I get a surgery date. I am waiting for this part of my journey to end and then I can start my new life. I'm sure like you - you feel like a whole new person! I just can't wait!!!!

Well I've never had a c-section.. or a child for that matter so I can't help you with this one ha. I would IMAGINE that it wasn't as bad as that would be.

You can read this forum for about 30 minutes and find out surgery/recovery is totally different for everybody. If you had no problem with 3 C-sections, I would think you wouldn't have any problems. I remember the bright lights in the OR, too. In fact, I even commented on them, and the kind of music Dr. Schmitt would be listening to, and I tried to help them get some arm rest out from under the table. I remember the mask coming down on my face and waking up being wheeled back to the holding room (I missed recovery). I felt my stomach to make sure there were band-aids there and I smiled. I had pain immediately after surgery (and nausea), but that evening when I got home, all I took was Tylenol. Never took any more pain medication. It hurt to get up and down, but if you use a pillow, even that is minimal.

I had my second fill yesterday and I really haven't "tested" it yet, but I think I can feel something?? I sure don't seem to be able to gulp Water like I usually do.

We had friends over this weekend for a cookout and running around all day, getting ready and cooking, for the first time I really craved a beer. But, I got over it.

Shawna, you just cured me of my craving for pizza. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I didn't go back and read everything posted previously but I just wanted to say that I have never had an issue with Neoami at all. I went in for my consultation on 01/17/08 and completed my psych. eval and sleep study, finished up the required diet(required by BCBS) on 06/07/08 and Neoami submitted my paperwork to BCBS on 06/23/08. At first BCBS denied me stating it was not covered under my plan, Neoami printed my plan showing where it states it is covered as long as it is medically necessary and resubmitted my paperwork the SAME day. I got anxious and called BCBS on 07/09/08 and asked for a status update and the customer service rep told me they had actually mailed out the letter THAT day and I was approved. Just reading some of the posts here and a couple of friends I have made on this site that use Dr. Miles & Schmitt I guess I am LUCKY with my experience. I am getting banded on August 29. I am very excited!

Congrats Heather! I know you are so happy!! You will be banded before you know it. How long did it take your insurance to make their decision the first time? I talked to Neoami today and she told me that she was sending in my paperwork today. Im just so worried that I want be able to have surgery before my hubbie leaves! :-( Im such a baby when Im sick and he so babies me! lol

Craz~ Neoami submitted my paperwork 06/23/08, got the denial immediately(she HAS to submit info online, that is the only way BCBS will allow them to submit so she got the denial immediately). She was then able to fax over all of my documentation the same day. I called BCBS for status update on 07/09/08 and it turns out that was the same day BCBS approved me and sent out letter. I got approval letter on 07/11/08. So it took them 11 BUSINESS days to approve(I didn't count Sat/Sun or July 4). I was told that they can take up to 30 days to approve. When is your hubby leaving?

LOL Di!! I am glad I could help! I hope you get some good restriction. My 2nd fill has been great. I am noticing that my portions are WAY smaller.

Has anyone noticed all the girgling noises? I share an office and we giggle at the noises I make all the time.

=)

My hubbie is leaving on the 16th of next month. Well that is the date they gave him anyway. You never know with the military. lol Maybe they will call and tell him that the date has been put off. Yeah right!!

craz~ I hope everything works out for you before your hubby leaves. Where is he having to go to? I called Neomi 07/10 and told her that I knew she had not yet recvd her copy of my approval letter but told her that I had called BCBS and asked if we could go ahead and get me on the schedule and she said sure. She pulled my chart to verify that I had completed everything necessary and looked at the schedule and the earliest she had was 08/29. Maybe you will get lucky and someone will cancel or something and you can get it all done quicker.

Well, as of yesterday I am done with everything! The only thing I am missing is my support class (Aug 16th) and the nutrician class. I can't go to that until I get my surgery date. SO- I will be calling Naomi today! I'm getting really excited to start my new life!