Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

Thanks! I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait forever to get an appointment. I think I have decided to go with Dr. Miles! Thanks so much for responding I relly appreciate it!

Did you go? What did ya think? Did you schedule your consult? Is this a bad time to mention that you know me?!?! *chuckles*

I have not had a flipped port but what is the doc saying? And will be praying for you.

I saw Lisa when I went in. They caught it on the Ultrasound first and they she followed by jabbing (ok inserting) me with a wiggling needle *grin* Only to confirm that what she was consistently hitting was the opposite side of the port. Dr. Miles was unavailable and I did not see him.

As far as what they are saying... They don't know why... it just happens... no one's fault... nothing I did or didn't do... I'm the 4th person in almost 400... this is why they went to the Realize bands as this happened more with the previous LapBands... Supposedly the least serious and most common (although still rare) complication as well as being easily corrected... I'll just be glad when it's fixed! The port revision is this coming Friday and supposedly it's a much simpler procedure. They will go ahead and put 5cc's in at that time.

I don't know if Schmitt & Miles use dissolving sutures internally but one of the common beliefs floating around on the net is that sometimes dissolving sutures are weak or dissolve too quickly. Then again, who am I to second-guess any part of the procedure.

Nonetheless, surgery was 12/28/09 and I've lost 22 lbs since my pre-op visit with NO FILL in my band so I can't really complain!

Did you make it to the meeting today? I was there. I think I just want to sleep through the next week *grin* Thanks for asking and I'm glad to see that you are doing so well! The positive support and journey's here really help to keep us motivated in times like this! Someone else said it and it's so true - you just never know when something you say or express is parallel to someone else's feelings, thoughts or needs.

I saw Lisa when I went in. They caught it on the Ultrasound first and they she followed by jabbing (ok inserting) me with a wiggling needle *grin* Only to confirm that what she was consistently hitting was the opposite side of the port. Dr. Miles was unavailable and I did not see him.

As far as what they are saying... They don't know why... it just happens... no one's fault... nothing I did or didn't do... I'm the 4th person in almost 400... this is why they went to the Realize bands as this happened more with the previous LapBands... Supposedly the least serious and most common (although still rare) complication as well as being easily corrected... I'll just be glad when it's fixed! The port revision is this coming Friday and supposedly it's a much simpler procedure. They will go ahead and put 5cc's in at that time.

I don't know if Schmitt & Miles use dissolving sutures internally but one of the common beliefs floating around on the net is that sometimes dissolving sutures are weak or dissolve too quickly. Then again, who am I to second-guess any part of the procedure.

Nonetheless, surgery was 12/28/09 and I've lost 22 lbs since my pre-op visit with NO FILL in my band so I can't really complain!

Did you make it to the meeting today? I was there. I think I just want to sleep through the next week *grin* Thanks for asking and I'm glad to see that you are doing so well! The positive support and journey's here really help to keep us motivated in times like this! Someone else said it and it's so true - you just never know when something you say or express is parallel to someone else's feelings, thoughts or needs.

Hang in there it seems like a while back someone else on here had a filpped port but im now sure let us know how it goes friday

HELP!!!

Hello y'all...i need a pep talk or good advise...I will be banded one year on March 17..i've only lost 54 pounds with 4CC's in my band...I've been sitting at 54 pounds since the last of October...although i eat much less than ever in my life.. the scale is not moving...I feel i need more in my band...what is everyone else at for fill CC's if you don't mind my asking...thanks!:redface:

HELP!!!

Hello y'all...i need a pep talk or good advise...I will be banded one year on March 17..i've only lost 54 pounds with 4CC's in my band...I've been sitting at 54 pounds since the last of October...although i eat much less than ever in my life.. the scale is not moving...I feel i need more in my band...what is everyone else at for fill CC's if you don't mind my asking...thanks!:frown:

First, 54 lbs in a year sounds good to me! When was your last fill? Have you had a fill since Oct? How many fills have you had? Have you called the dr's office? If so, what did they say? Do you have the Realize band? Are you exercising? I notice that you didn't mention anything about exercise in your post.

My first fill was going to be 5 cc's. I say 'was' b/c (incase you missed it in the previous postings) I have a flipped port and they are doing a port revision this week. However, I know that they are going to put 5cc's in during the revision.

First, 54 lbs in a year sounds good to me! When was your last fill? Have you had a fill since Oct? How many fills have you had? Have you called the dr's office? If so, what did they say? Do you have the Realize band? Are you exercising? I notice that you didn't mention anything about exercise in your post.

My first fill was going to be 5 cc's. I say 'was' b/c (incase you missed it in the previous postings) I have a flipped port and they are doing a port revision this week. However, I know that they are going to put 5cc's in during the revision.

1. Are you exercising?

2. How many calories are you getting in in a day?

3. Are you drinking the Water?

4. What are you eating?

5. Are you getting in your Protein?

Sometimes we get stuck...I got stuck soooo many times and it would be for like 2-3 months then all of a sudden it would pick back up again.....keep us posted!! Good luck....maybe you just need a fill I have almost 7cc in my band so for some ppl it takes more.

Did you go? What did ya think? Did you schedule your consult? Is this a bad time to mention that you know me?!?! *chuckles*

Ok! I just got your email missy! I do know you! Yay!!!!! I am glad I know you! This will help me! I went to the seminar and loved it! I had already done a ton of research so it wasn't anything I wasn't expecting. I def want to be banded! My stupid insurance is making me wait 6 months! Boo! It's ok though, I can wait! My first appointment is March 15th. They could have seen me today, but I didn't have the $205 for the first visit! Why does my insurance not cover that???? I am so glad I have a friend on this journey! I need lots of motiavation! I am a scaredy cat about anything medical. I just don't know if I can actually go through the whole being put to sleep for surgery......I have to though I need this band!

Ok! I just got your email missy! I do know you! Yay!!!!! I am glad I know you! This will help me! I went to the seminar and loved it! I had already done a ton of research so it wasn't anything I wasn't expecting. I def want to be banded! My stupid insurance is making me wait 6 months! Boo! It's ok though, I can wait! My first appointment is March 15th. They could have seen me today, but I didn't have the $205 for the first visit! Why does my insurance not cover that???? I am so glad I have a friend on this journey! I need lots of motiavation! I am a scaredy cat about anything medical. I just don't know if I can actually go through the whole being put to sleep for surgery......I have to though I need this band!

Actually... I think the $205 consult fee is a Miles & Schmitt thing - strictly. BCBS will not usually cover a consult fee. It does stink and they don't tell you that in the seminar either. I suppose they do it to weed out ppl that aren't serious so their time isn't wasted.

There are some other fees that I should prolly throw at you. All the MD's they referred that had experience in pushing you through the 7 months of monitoring, charged an 'up front' fee for the weight management. My dr. charged $150 up front and $30 a visit - not covered or even billed through BCBS. Then once I was diagnosed as a diabetic, anytime I saw him for that I had to ALSO pay a $30 co-pay for an actual primary care MD visit that same day. Any other health condition can result in this as they the actual health conditions can be billed to BCBS vs the 'management' part. So of my 7 visits, I prolly paid $60 (vs just the $30) about 4 of those visits. Plus co-pays and deductibles for sleep study and visits revolving around the sleep study results.I had 3 or 4 visits with the ENT regarding sleep study issues. Also, a lot of people have to do the sleep study 2x so you may have to pay that deductible twice.

Plus your part of the C-Pap machine if you have Sleep Apnea. The nutrition class was $60.

And I had to pay $200 at my Pre-op consult for doctor's fees AND $50 the same day for my surgery consult when I went to pre-registration to do my paperwork for surgery day.

I'll have a co-pay this Friday and I'll have to meet my deductible again since it's a new year.

At least you are doing it all in one year instead of a situation where you'll hit your deductible 2x.

As for being put to sleep... that doesn't bother me b/c I didn't know I was asleep when I was asleep. lol! It's all that medical stuff in the process. I hate the feel of a hospital environment and the element of the unknown. Know what I mean?

bandmeimready: Did you stay for the group meeting also? I was there and got up to speak.

I was banded on Aug 11, 2009. The $205.00 that I paid up front was refunded to me about three weeks after surgery. I have VIVA insurance. The co-pay to my primary care doctor was $15.00 for each of the six visits. Since I had had some health problems in late 2008, I had already had a heart work-up and a sleep study. I only needed a clearance from Dr Dey and Dr Aurora for the heart & respiratory. Dr Miles & insurance accepted it all. I did have to pay the nutritionist $60.00 out of pocket and my hospital co-pay was $300.00. All my co-pays are higher now due to Viva going up in 2010.

As for being put to sleep. Been there, done that, more than once. I told Dr Miles it was his job to see that I woke up and I would do my job of losing the weight.

I have lost 70 pounds in 6 months. I would do it again in a NY min. Hang in there, the six months will be over before you know it.

Thanks guys! Ya'll are encouraging! Ok. So I made an appointment with my normal priamry today to let her know that I am waiting to be banded and so on. If I bring her the paper from BCBS that tells her exactley what she has to note in my chart will I be ok seeing her for the 7 month thing??? I think I would probably come out cheaper just paying my co pay! I hope it works. I have never had a sleep study but probably need one. I have heard that the Dr. Dr. Miles refers you to is not easy to work with. Would I be better off getting my primary to refer me and going ahead and getting that over with? So many questions........so much $$$$$$! I did not realize there was that many fees????? Oh, my! Is it worth it girls? I totally understand the element of the UNKNOWN! I think mine is a control issue. You know I will not even fall asleep in the car when my husband is driving. I stay up and watch the road. I think that is why I am so scared to be put to sleep. I have no control over it!!!! Thanks for all the tips! Keep them comimg!

LollyMoe.... 70 lbs in 6 months is so awesome! I am so ready to start this new chapter of my life. The 6 month wait is such a bummer! I will make it though. I keep telling myself it is really not that bad.

The olnly thing I worry about with this band is...after I go through all of this will it work for me? I have such a hard time losing weight. I read on these boards about people who have done awesom and like lost 30lbs pre-op, and so on and so on. I am not one of those people it is like virtually impossible for me to loose weight. I have no sucsess. I have been going to the gym for the past 8 months 3 times a week. I have not lost a lb. I know I haven't been eating right, but anybody that weighs as much as me should shed atleast 5 lbs in 8 months. I just pray that this will help me loose weight!

Thanks again!

LollyMoe.... 70 lbs in 6 months is so awesome! I am so ready to start this new chapter of my life. The 6 month wait is such a bummer! I will make it though. I keep telling myself it is really not that bad.

The olnly thing I worry about with this band is...after I go through all of this will it work for me? I have such a hard time losing weight. I read on these boards about people who have done awesom and like lost 30lbs pre-op, and so on and so on. I am not one of those people it is like virtually impossible for me to loose weight. I have no sucsess. I have been going to the gym for the past 8 months 3 times a week. I have not lost a lb. I know I haven't been eating right, but anybody that weighs as much as me should shed atleast 5 lbs in 8 months. I just pray that this will help me loose weight!

Thanks again!

I have always always had a VERY HARD time losing weight. About 4 years ago a friend and I started the gym. I went 4 days a week and followed a very strict diet and Water thing....in 6 months I lost maybe 5lbs when I stopped cuz I got so tired of seeing no results...I gained 25 in about 2months...so I feel where youre coming from. This has been the only thing that has worked for me. ITs been slow but I love my band !!!

Thanks Kaninag! I just went to primary Dr. and she was very encouraging! She was very excited that I had choosen to do the lap band! That made me feel a lot better! I scheduled all my appointments for the next 6 long long months. She wants to go ahead and run some tests on me in the mean time. She wants me to do a sleep study, 3 hour sugar test, light down the throat, and typical blood work. Did anyone else's primary want to do all these tests? Is it ok to go ahead and use the Dr.'s she refered me too (ex. sleep study), or should I wait till Dr. Miles refers me! I know I have a lot of questions :) Ya'll have been really sweet to listen to me!!!!!

I think most insurance companies require the sleep study now so you'll have that out of the way...as for the rest well as for any of it all I had to do was the 6month wt loss program and psych eval! Any sleep study doc should be able to do it for you though.

Thanks Kaninag! I just went to primary Dr. and she was very encouraging! She was very excited that I had choosen to do the LAP-BAND®! That made me feel a lot better! I scheduled all my appointments for the next 6 long long months. She wants to go ahead and run some tests on me in the mean time. She wants me to do a sleep study, 3 hour sugar test, light down the throat, and typical blood work. Did anyone else's primary want to do all these tests? Is it ok to go ahead and use the Dr.'s she refered me too (ex. sleep study), or should I wait till Dr. Miles refers me! I know I have a lot of questions :) Ya'll have been really sweet to listen to me!!!!!

I had to do all of those except the upper GI. I had no signs of GERD/heartburn/ etc. so they saw no reason to refer me for that. Dr. Miles was the one who told me (in consultation) what I had to do as far as extra testing.

My dr had already ran a 3 hr GTT (sugar test) so that was out of the way - NOTE that is where I was diagnosed as diabetic. Actually, I had requested the GTT as diabetes runs in the fam.

Usually during your 7 months the primary MD runs the WHOLE circus of blood panels! I remember sitting there that day watching her fill up 7 vials of blood! *ack* They do the A1C (sugar related), cholesterol, liver functions, thyroid, etc. Pretty much a really really good physical kinda thing. No matter what happens or what the results are just remember that the knowledge rendered gets you that much farther into the journey of changing your life. Finding out that I was a diabetic was the final determing factor for me in this process. I knew then that I had to make this work.

Dr. Miles also ordered the sleep study but I expected that. You can use someone else but I think it's easier for them if it's their in-house dr. However, she's an ENT and is also Dr. Schmitt's sister. A LOT of ppl do not like her! I liked her my first visit but by the time we got to visit #3 and #4. she wasn't my fav person. Being that I work with dr's I like to consider myself fairly forgiving and understanding in that environment but she... ehhh... She'd call and say, 'I can't proceed until you give me XYZ.' Which I had already given her! So I would produce the info again with the fax confirmation and the note of when we spoke about it and what was previously said!

At the end she told me everything was completed and she was (finally) sending my approval through to Miles & Schmitt right then only to call me a few days later and tell me that she was waiting on the read-out from my Cpap machine. Ummm the one we covered in her office a few days earlier!!! So she had lost my results from my Cpap disk somewhere during those few days! Which meant that she lied to me and had NOT sent the approval letter through the day she said she had!

My suggestion on dealing with her is this - and this is just me - it is helpful to use her b/c she's there and knows the routine BUT do the sleep study early to anticipate AND CORRECT difficulties with her. Also, when you fax something, keep your confirmation. Every time you talk to her asst (Jenny I think) write down or email yourself the date and time as well as what was discussed. She was the most difficult part of the process for me.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh and she likes to cancel and reschedule appt's like you WOULD not believe! So never ever schedule your appt's with her up against a deadline. Hubz went to her after my first visit and she rescheduled his following visit THREE TIMES! Once she was sick... once she had something else come up... and then she decided to take off another day.

Did your MD say if she's ever put anyone through this part of the program before? If she has, i definitely wouldn't worry. If not, why not just call Miles & Schmitt and ask them if they see a prob with it? Most of the ppl there are really nice.

Have you ever done the 3 hr GTT before? *chuckles* Loads of fun!

In saying all this, I can't stress enough that these are just my opinions and experiences. I'm sure that others have had different experiences so remember it's not the same for everyone. A lot of it you will just figure out as you go. I remember my MD telling me that the SINGLE most important thing was not to let more than 30 days lapse between each visit or we had to start the seven months all over!

Hang in there! It's gonna be an exciting ride!