Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

Hi everyone!! Hope your year is starting out a good one. So far everything is pretty stable for me - Finally lost the lbs I put on during the holidays.

I went to see the Plastic Surgeon yesterday to see about a panniculectomy. He was very informative about the procedure. His assistant took my photos to submit to insurance and she said that based on all the photos she has taken, I have a better than average chance of getting insurance to approve it. So keep your fingers crossed that everything goes through. I am using Viva now and I don't know how particular they are. I did hear from a girl that works in the Plastic Surgery Clinic here that they have gotten better about covering it. If I do get approved, I would like to have it done at the end of June because that is when work is slow and the kids are out of school to help me around the house.

Thats all thats new in my world!

Hi everyone!! Hope your year is starting out a good one. So far everything is pretty stable for me - Finally lost the lbs I put on during the holidays.

I went to see the Plastic Surgeon yesterday to see about a panniculectomy. He was very informative about the procedure. His assistant took my photos to submit to insurance and she said that based on all the photos she has taken, I have a better than average chance of getting insurance to approve it. So keep your fingers crossed that everything goes through. I am using Viva now and I don't know how particular they are. I did hear from a girl that works in the Plastic Surgery Clinic here that they have gotten better about covering it. If I do get approved, I would like to have it done at the end of June because that is when work is slow and the kids are out of school to help me around the house.

Thats all thats new in my world!

What PS did you see? Do they have a website... I went for a consult with a local PS here in anniston for a brachioplasty and I just wasnt impressed with their whole deal...they only had a couple pix to show me and he just didnt make me feel like WOW I should use this doc....I really want to get my arms done before the summer.....I havent reached my goal weight yet bc I keep changing it...so maybe I should wait I dont know but anyhow...GOOD LUCK!!!!

I saw Dr. Benkenstein. I think I read on here before that you didn't like him. I worked with him in Surgery for 6 years so I already knew him. His office was very nice and respectful. He had done a panni for another girl I know and she looked great (he did the tightening and everything). She went back a few months ago for her arms and some Lipo in her neck. Another good PS is Dr. Steinmetz, both are at St. Vincent's Birmingham. Dr. Beckenstein's website is www.msbmd.com/.

I saw Dr. Benkenstein. I think I read on here before that you didn't like him. I worked with him in Surgery for 6 years so I already knew him. His office was very nice and respectful. He had done a panni for another girl I know and she looked great (he did the tightening and everything). She went back a few months ago for her arms and some Lipo in her neck. Another good PS is Dr. Steinmetz, both are at St. Vincent's Birmingham. Dr. Beckenstein's website is www.msbmd.com/.

I dont think I've ever heard of him..must of been someone else. I'll check out his website. Thanks!!!

Veronica had a PS "body sculpturer" as a guest speaker back before the holidays. He showed a lot of slides and was very informative. Can't remember his name but his office is at Brookwood but he does surgery at St. Vincent's East all the time. You could ask Veronica who he was.

Fordgal, please keep us informed. Especially about Viva. I have it too.

Hi Everybody...it has been FOREVER since I have posted! I have gotten into a funk with my weightloss progress...52 pounds banded March 17..and I was feeling sorry for myself thinking I was doing terrible..i have it in my head that I should be down 100 pounds by now and I can't shake that feeling! BUT, after researching the stats on many of your posts I feel normal and know that I am doing OK (4cc's)...I need to start exercising regularly and stop eating too many slider foods which will really help my progress--so i can't blame it on the band!...I REALLY WANTED TO SAY THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR THE POSTS...YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THEY HAVE HELPED ME...WE MAY NOT THINK THEY ARE IMPORTANT AT TIMES, BUT TO SOMEONE ELSE ANY COMMENT COULD BE ONE THAT MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN THEIR WORLD! thanks again, and I'm not going to wait forever to get back on here!

God Bless!:sifone:

FORDGAL--it looks like he mainly does breast and tummy tucks. I didnt see any further info on his website...good luck with everything!!!!

Hi Everybody...it has been FOREVER since I have posted! I have gotten into a funk with my weightloss progress...52 pounds banded March 17..and I was feeling sorry for myself thinking I was doing terrible..i have it in my head that I should be down 100 pounds by now and I can't shake that feeling! BUT, after researching the stats on many of your posts I feel normal and know that I am doing OK (4cc's)...I need to start exercising regularly and stop eating too many slider foods which will really help my progress--so i can't blame it on the band!...I REALLY WANTED TO SAY THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR THE POSTS...YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THEY HAVE HELPED ME...WE MAY NOT THINK THEY ARE IMPORTANT AT TIMES, BUT TO SOMEONE ELSE ANY COMMENT COULD BE ONE THAT MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN THEIR WORLD! thanks again, and I'm not going to wait forever to get back on here!

God Bless!:sifone:

I think everybody goes thru that funk :tongue_smilie:getting on here def helps...good luck--and you know you can do it!!!!!!

Hello everyone! I am new and my name is Mary. I live in Jasper, Alabama and are considering having the lapband surgery done by Dr. Miles. I haven't been to the seminar yet, it is February 20. I am really looking for some advice I have BCBS. Would you use Dr. Miles and Schmitt agian if you had it to do over agian? Are there any other Dr.s you would consider and why! Also, I am very scared of being put to sleep to have the surgery. Was this a scary process with Dr. Miles? Thanks so much for any help ya'll can provide! I am 27 years old and weigh 310 lbs. but most importantly I AM READY TO BE BANDED!!!

Hello everyone! I am new and my name is Mary. I live in Jasper, Alabama and are considering having the LAP-BAND® surgery done by Dr. Miles. I haven't been to the seminar yet, it is February 20. I am really looking for some advice I have BCBS. Would you use Dr. Miles and Schmitt agian if you had it to do over agian? Are there any other Dr.s you would consider and why! Also, I am very scared of being put to sleep to have the surgery. Was this a scary process with Dr. Miles? Thanks so much for any help ya'll can provide! I am 27 years old and weigh 310 lbs. but most importantly I AM READY TO BE BANDED!!!

Hi! I was just banded 12/28/09 and would totally do it over again BUT - SOONER! I've always been afraid of surgery and needles... blah! Blood makes me sick! Even had some anxiety that started a few days before surgery and went into surgery day. Once I got to the hospital and told them - no problem. They gave me something to help me relax and it was all smooth from there.

My recommendation is to research and read the boards a lot! Check with your insurance for coverage details. The more you know going into this - the less stressful it is, the better your understanding and you will find yourself with realistic expectations. It's only a piece of the puzzle and you still have to do all the work but it does help!

But yes, I would do it all over. I chose Schmitt & Miles b/c of their experience vs other B'ham doctor's (or statewide for that matter). Actually, I work for another hospital in the B'ham area and I chose Schmitt & Miles over the physicians at the hospital I work for! Shhhhhhhh... don't tell anyone! hahaha

Thank you so much for your help! It really means alot to me! I have been reading on the boards for awhile now. I just finally joined :) I have check with my insurance and they said they would cover it with a 6 month supervised diet. I have involved with a program called InShape America through a local gym for about 8 months now. It requires me to go to the gym 3 times a week. I have been pretty faithful to that (I have skipped a couple of weeks). I am praying that they will accept that! Blood makes me so sick also! Thanks again for all your help!

Thank you so much for your help! It really means alot to me! I have been reading on the boards for awhile now. I just finally joined :) I have check with my insurance and they said they would cover it with a 6 month supervised diet. I have involved with a program called InShape America through a local gym for about 8 months now. It requires me to go to the gym 3 times a week. I have been pretty faithful to that (I have skipped a couple of weeks). I am praying that they will accept that! Blood makes me so sick also! Thanks again for all your help!

I hope they accept it! I have BCBS of AL and I was told (for my plan) that it had to be 6 months of an MD supervised plan. Reason being that an MD has to screen you for various things, present documentation throughout the 6 months (really 7) and submit all to BCBS in the required formatting. While annoyed over this in the beginning *sigh* This is where I found out that I was diabetic and had sleep apnea so I SUPPOSE *rolls eyes* that it is for due cause. Hahahaha. So don't be shocked if they will not accept your previous diet plan - but I really really hope that they do! I called and asked them SPECIFICALLY what the requirements were. Had that BCBS rep on the phone for like 40 minutes! They also want five years of med history reflecting your weight. That can be from any MD. Just something showing how much you weighed each year. If you find that you have 2 co-morbidities (hate that word!), you are more likely to be approved at first request. Co-morbidities can be diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc. For me ... I had elevated BP, osteo-arthritis, diabetes and sleep apnea. Other than arthritis, I had no idea on any of them prior to testing!

If they don't accept your prior monitored plan, be sure to get a dr that is familiar with the process b/c the notes have to be written just so. There can't be more than 30 (maybe 31) days between each of the seven dr. visits. It tis kind of a quirky process.

I called Schmitt & Miles n the beginning and asked for a referral to a dr that they are familiar with. They referred me to Andy Maddux and I like him. Even though he's out of the way for me (and his moods vary), he soon became my official primary care dr. He's very 'in the know' on a wide variety of health topics yet still has that sorta fatherly way about him.

IF your insurance accepts your previous plan, you still have to see Schmitt & Miles for a consult appt after the seminar. They will review your medical history with you (have your dr's send it to them prior to appt) and may require add'l testing. Some common add'l appt's are psych, ENT (sleep study), GI, etc. Almost everyone has to do the sleep study - from what I've heard. It's the only one that I had to do - amazingly! But then again I was already being followed for diabetes and by a Rheumatologist for my arthritis.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes!

Today is my 1st fill *cringes* Say a prayer! I so hate needles!

I will deff pray for you concerning the fill! I HATE needles, or really anything that has to do with the medical field. I was thinking that I am just going to go ahead and make an appointment with my primary so they can go ahead and write it in my chart. I want to get this ball moving and the seminar isnt until the 20th. Do you have suggestions on what I need to get the Dr. to note in my chart? I know I have extreme acid reflux, which is from my weight. Oh and my bllod pressure is always a little high, wee I guess I should just say high! It is always 130/90. The Dr. has been fusing at me for over a year now that I needed to see a physician. About the medical history thing, BCBS said they needed the prior 3 years. I wonder if it looks bad or good that I have gained alot of weight in those 3 years. I was on perscription diet pills before I got married which was about 3 1/2 years ago. I had lost down to 230, but AS SOON as I quit taking them I gained about 75 lbs. I hope this doesn't look bad :) I have heard that almost all their patients have to do a sleep study, which I am ok with. I know that is kinda weird, but since I am so scared of being put to sleep I don't mind any pre-testing because it kind of makes me fill better if I have been tested for all this stuff! Weird I know! Good luck with the fill! Thanks again for talking with me!

I will deff pray for you concerning the fill! I HATE needles, or really anything that has to do with the medical field. I was thinking that I am just going to go ahead and make an appointment with my primary so they can go ahead and write it in my chart. I want to get this ball moving and the seminar isnt until the 20th. Do you have suggestions on what I need to get the Dr. to note in my chart? I know I have extreme acid reflux, which is from my weight. Oh and my bllod pressure is always a little high, wee I guess I should just say high! It is always 130/90. The Dr. has been fusing at me for over a year now that I needed to see a physician. About the medical history thing, BCBS said they needed the prior 3 years. I wonder if it looks bad or good that I have gained alot of weight in those 3 years. I was on perscription diet pills before I got married which was about 3 1/2 years ago. I had lost down to 230, but AS SOON as I quit taking them I gained about 75 lbs. I hope this doesn't look bad :lol: I have heard that almost all their patients have to do a sleep study, which I am ok with. I know that is kinda weird, but since I am so scared of being put to sleep I don't mind any pre-testing because it kind of makes me fill better if I have been tested for all this stuff! Weird I know! Good luck with the fill! Thanks again for talking with me!

I don't think it matters how much you fluctuated over the 3 years, just that your BMI was constantly above 40 (or 35 w/2 co-morbidities) and that doesn't sound like it will be a problem. I mean that in a good way :))

As far as seeing your primary md... Words of wisdom, make sure he has SUCCESSFULLY put others through the 6 (really 7) month 'weight management' portion of the process. I've heard stories of ppl going through it with an inexperienced MD and at the end they are denied b/c 'too many days lapsed between visit X and Y' or 'doctor did not not information sufficiently for program', etc.

You really need someone that has experience with how it's done b/c it (apparently) is more than just writing your weight down once a month for 7 months. Must be specific verbage and information of which I have no idea! I know it's a pain in the behind but Miles & Schmitt will tell you that when you go in or call them.

From what you are saying I wouldn't be surprised if you have 2+ co-morbids. We just never know! High blood pressure and ??? Statistically obese ppl have a high chance of sleep apnea and that could be your second one. Do you snore? hahaha Who knows.