Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

LOL, yeah I know...so wish me luck :thumbup:

Hi All, the comedy club was great! The kids really enjoyed it. Jon Reep was hilarious. We have been a ton of times. There really isn't much there for a bander to eat, but if you plan, you can do okay. It's just hard to believe that our babies are 18 years old. They really do grow up fast!

Hope your appt goes good Kanina.

=)

Shawna

thtas cool shawna. i would like to go and check out the acts. i can eat before i go.lol

kaninag, let me know how it goes.

this has nothing to do with original question, was just wondering around site and reading. My dr. mentioned lapband in passing the other day as a possible treatment for my weight and diabeties. My diabeties are out of control and have been for years. I really want to have this lapband done, but am scared to death. I guess I am just looking for someone who may can realte to my anguish. I seem to have to will power when it comes to food, and just love to eat. My wieght has been pretty stable for the last 3 years, not up, but not down any except for the occasionaly 5-10 lbs. But am consistantly at appr 240- 250. I have no idea what to expect, what some of the terminology is here, like "first fill"? etc... I live in the b'ham area and do not even know who would be the best dr for this. I also wonder about complications afterward and stuff. any suggestions for a good detailed place that can really tell it like it is? I am on dialup and high speed connection isnt available in my area, so computer use is so slow as it is, but i am desperate for some answers. 41 yrold f, worried about to much or is there really some great success out there with no complications?

this has nothing to do with original question, was just wondering around site and reading. My dr. mentioned lapband in passing the other day as a possible treatment for my weight and diabeties. My diabeties are out of control and have been for years. I really want to have this lapband done, but am scared to death. I guess I am just looking for someone who may can realte to my anguish. I seem to have to will power when it comes to food, and just love to eat. My wieght has been pretty stable for the last 3 years, not up, but not down any except for the occasionaly 5-10 lbs. But am consistantly at appr 240- 250. I have no idea what to expect, what some of the terminology is here, like "first fill"? etc... I live in the b'ham area and do not even know who would be the best dr for this. I also wonder about complications afterward and stuff. any suggestions for a good detailed place that can really tell it like it is? I am on dialup and high speed connection isnt available in my area, so computer use is so slow as it is, but i am desperate for some answers. 41 yrold f, worried about to much or is there really some great success out there with no complications?

Well, you def came to the right spot to have questions answered...

first off being nervous and scared is completely normal I dont think a single person on this entire forum would tell you that they werent scared and nervous about having the lap band.

secondly since you are in the bham area I suggest going to a support group meeting at St. Vincents East (I'll let others on here tell you all about that)

The lapband is a journey, its not fast weight loss like gastric bypass...like any surgery there are risks however with the lapband those risks are less than that of the bypass.

I know you have dial up but I recommend that you also visit the following website and it can give you all the info on what to expect and how the band works....Official Site: the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System for weight loss surgery

I will tell you there are thousands that have had great success with the lapband including myself. I wouldnt change having the lapband for anything!

Congrats on your decision to change your life. We'll be glad to help you as much as we can...everyone on here is great.

Edited by kaninag

barbarab, glad to see you asking question here.

i will start by saying welcome. we are a tight group of family here. and thats what you get with the support we give out. i welcome anyone to ask any question you can think of. trust me i have heard all question out there. and if i cant help with them someone on here can.

first think i would do is ask yourself if you are ready to change your life? if you say yes then join us.and trust me it does change, and its for the best. the band dosent make you loose weight but it helps you lose weight and keep it off. the band is just a tool to help you in your process of a better life. it has helped me have a better look out on my life and enjoy things around me alot more.

we have another support group meeting on april 19th 2009 @ st.vincents east. the semilar (sp sorry) starts at 8am and then the support group for pre banders is at 1030am. so you can listen and ask the dr. and then stay and listen and ask us question. and i will feel free to help you out if i can. and im sure everyone else will to.

i believe the dr's at st.vincent east is great at what they do. dr. miles was the first one in alabama to do the lapband surgery. and now they have done over 500! i went to many dr;s and listen to them take about the band. but i loved how dr. miles talked to me about it. hes a do what i tell you dr. our else. and thats what i like. very nice people and helpfull too.

and i believe i have done very well with it. i have lost over 80 pounds in 7 months! and still lossing. i feel alot better and love to get out and play with my kids. when before i just wanted to set around the house and do nothing. so yes they are alot of success with this surgery. for the most part whne you see now one losing with the band is because they are not doing what they need to do. you have to follow the rules, they arent hard but you do have to do the right thinks.

if you have question feel free to list them and i will try my best to help you with them. like i said we are a tight group here and love to help anyone out.

goodluck with your Quest and i hope i can help you out!

on a side note. i just got done with the wii fit and dang it is ruff. i really didnt get to do it before because of the weight limit. but now im down enought to do it. im going to try and do it the nights i dont go to the gym.

anytime.

and im sorry to tell you this but i think you will have to get all your Fluid took out. you might need to check that out. i would just call monday and ask them about it. but like i said im not sure.

on a side note. i took my grade2 test in watertreatment today and passed it. so now i just got one more to go to get to the top. i got a 2 dollar and hour raise for this one i took today and i will get another 2 bucks an hour for the next one. and then i also could treat drinking Water in almost any state also. it was one of the hardest test i have ever took. and the next one is super hard.

congrats Jason on passing the test. You have to work really hard to achieve those things.

It seems like things are going good for everybody on here. Congrats to all.

Surgery is less than a week away for me and I'm starting to get a little nervous.Not looking forward to liquids for 3 weeks.

Hello all went to the doc today...good new is I have lost 16lbs in 2months and 1 week YAY!!!

He took out .25cc today at my request...so I am hoping that I'll be able to eat again :P

Thanks everyone keep it up!!!

congrtaz on the weight loss! and you dont need to eat. its over rated anyways. lol

Edited by JASON R

Let us know how it goes Kanina! Can you tell a difference yet?

Geez what is up with all this rain!! Funny how a year ago that I didn't mind, cuz I never went anywhere besides work. Now I like getting out and its always raining!! I am really looking forward to this summer!! My hubby and I are planning a trip to Vegas in August (our 11th Anniversary). The cool thing is - I am about 25lbs lighter than I was when we went the first time (when we got married). =)

Hope everyone is doing well!!

=)

Shawna

Actually I can tell a difference...I could eat lunch today (soup) and I didnt gurgle with my fat free milk this morning....so I am hoping that this will do it...This time he didnt take allll my Fluid back out and then put it back in bc when he does that I cant eat for a few days afterwards this time he pulled back just a little so I think that is why I am doing fine with mushies so quickly...I think I may try some food food for dinner!!

I am sick of the rain as well...I drive all day so this is the pits...GO AWAY!!!! LOL

crimson tide thanks alot. and your right i been working hard to pass the test. i still got another test to go. but i got to get some more hours in to take it.

and dont worry the 3 weeks of liquid isnt that bad. sugar free popcicles helped me out. so stock up on them. also Jello was good in the full liquid stage.

keep us posted and ask for anyt help if you need it. but i know you will do great.

and kaninag, the shirts are in. i will get yours to you when i see you.

i was going to ask you and zach if you two wanted to go to the track sunday. an old freind and his dad is asked us to come down. so we are going sunday with the kids.

so if you guys want to come down that would be cool.

Hey everyone! :-) Happy Wednesday!

Barbarab - welcome! I agree with Jason, go to a seminar. You'll learn tons! Always feel free to ask us questions too. I don't get to stop in as much as I would like but I'll be glad to help any way I can! It is a journey... to a better MUCH healthier life!

Jason - Congrats on the raise! Good luck on the next one. That is AWESOME!! We currently have full family coverage.. paid... at work and they are now requiring us to pay for some it.. so I just took a $264 a month cut for that so you're very fortunante.. All of that studying paid off!

Kaning - congrats on the loss! You're doing great!

I called Dr. Miles office yesterday and spoke to Ashley, I just love her. I asked what the norm is for pregnancy and she said to do a complete unfill... not what I wanted to hear! I called her back today and scheduled to go Friday afternoon on our way to Mississippi for the unfill. Dr. Schmitt is the only one who will be there to do it. DO TELL....... Anyone had him for fills or unfills? Is he as good as Lisa? I've heard some stories about Dr. Miles haha.

crimson tide thanks alot. and your right i been working hard to pass the test. i still got another test to go. but i got to get some more hours in to take it.

and dont worry the 3 weeks of liquid isnt that bad. sugar free popcicles helped me out. so stock up on them. also Jello was good in the full liquid stage.

keep us posted and ask for anyt help if you need it. but i know you will do great.

and kaninag, the shirts are in. i will get yours to you when i see you.

i was going to ask you and zach if you two wanted to go to the track sunday. an old freind and his dad is asked us to come down. so we are going sunday with the kids.

so if you guys want to come down that would be cool.

YAY!!! I cant wait to see them!

We might just do that his mom and bro are coming this weekend but they may want to go to the track for awhile!

He is in PA until tomorrow but I'll ask him about it!!

Thanks Saved!!!! I know you're excited with everything going on :smile2:

Hi everybody... I'M 15 DAYS OUT FROM SURGERY AND DOING ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! This is the best thing I have EVER done for myself! I just had to give y'all a shout and let you know- thanks fto you all for all of the support over the past year+ -- I feel better than I have in YEARS! I will be on solid food soon and I hope everything will still be as good as it is now. I'm going to try to make it to the semiar at St. Vincent's soon! Love to you all!