Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

Hi,

I need to find a Protein Shake thingy that is actually good, anyone have any suggestions?

Grove.

The ONLY Protein stuff that I have found that I can tolerate are the protein bullets or protein slams from GNC. They come in flavors like fruit punch and grape. I just got the fruit punch the other day and they come in 27g and 47 g sizes....I got one of each to see if there was a taste difference and there is the 47g get into the nasty category with every other protein supplement but I can tolerate the 27g ones....they have that protein taste but the tangy flavor of the fruit punch overpowers that and I put mine in the fridge.

Congrats on everyone doing well!!

Hi everyone,

I met with Dr. Miles yesterday for the first time. Everyone was very nice and I feel good about this. Apparently I've already done a lot of the work. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and have a c-pap which is my best friend. I already had the endoscopy a couple of years ago. So I'm working on the 6 month diet and checking back in around the end of April. I hope to attend the Dec. support meeting and put some faces to your names. I'm excited about all of this. Hopefully, the insurance won't hold me up.

Hi,

Today I got my staples out and so excited b/c I lost more weight.... I got me a ticker thingy so I am hoping that works.

I need to find a Protein Shake thingy that is actually good, anyone have any suggestions?

Alabamagirl ~ not originally from Trussville, my hubby is tho. He graduated in 1993 from Hewitt. I grew up in Pleasant Grove.

That is too funny Stephanie! I graduated in 1993 too! Ask him if he remembers an April Howard. That's my maiden name. Too funny!

I peronally like the EAS Advantage shakes. I tried the strawberry one this week, it's ok, but I love the chocolate fudge ones the best. The vanilla powder that Sam's sells is good too.

Good to see that everyone is doing great! I have run into a stumbling block right now, so I haven't lost anymore. I don't think I am eating enough on the weekends ~ I'm going to see if I can do better this weekend though. Seems like I take one step forward, I get knocked back 3.

I have to remember that this is only just a tool, not a miracle! :rolleyes2:

april, what is your weight loss program?

i have also got 3cc's in my pealize band. but i have some restriction. i get another fill dec. 1st. but i dont think i need more then 1cc. i dont want to have to much.

i like the Protein slammers to. im thinking i need to start getting more protein in myself.

i weighted this morning and if my scales are right(which is why i want to go the meetings to get on there scales) i have lost a total of 45.3 pounds since aug. 26th. so im hoping there right.

Does anyone have Neomi's email address? I am still having issues with my insurance. GEEZ!! I am sure it was because I was double covered at the time and the insurances (both BC/BS) are confused over which one is the primary. Anyways, if someone could send that to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to see everyone doing well. I did not have an x-ray after my band and I had a hernia too. So maybe they have changed their technique and want to be sure it is working.

Debbut - Good luck on your journey - it will seem like forever and then you will be sitting here typing some tips to other future bandsters before you know it (then you will say WOW that really wasnt that long). I see you are from Cleveland... I am not far from you, Im just below Locust Fork. Great area!!

Jason - all I have to say is WOW! You rock! You are kicking butt and taking names!!

I hope everyone else is doing well and enjoying life!

=)

Shawna

ford, im doing all i can. i would love to be where paul is now with 100 pounds in 10 months. man that would be great. and i have her email but its at home. i can get for you tonight if you dont get it before then.

i got a final bill from them yesterday and i owe them 575.50. so it cost me a total of 875.50 for the surgery and a year worth of fills. i guess thats not to bad.

debbut, like ford said it will be here before you know it. it took me over a year to get everything ready and it went by very fast. now it seems that it takes for every for the support group meetings to get here.

im hoping that at the next one i can stand up and say i have lost 50+ pounds. that would make me feel so great.

im going to hit the gym alittle more then i have been, and see if i can make that happen.

we are gong to the smokies thursday and im looking forward to do some of the hiking trails up there. and i never before wanted to do any.

have a nice day. and remember the band is a tool so make it work for you.

Thanks for the encouragement. Of course, I want the surgery yesterday but then I tell myself that I've been obese for all these years, what's a few more months.

Question....After you've lost some weight, do you have more confidence? I guess what I mean is when you go into a room, do stop looking for a place to hide and do you enjoy parties again? Because of my size, I turned down a paid trip to San Antonio to attend a conference with one of my professors. I turned it down because I was embarrassed to have accommodations made on the plane because of my weight. After you lose some weight do you still have the behaviors you had before you lost the weight? I'm always looking for the widest aisle, the largest chair, the end of a table to sit at, etc.

Deb

april, what is your weight loss program?

i have also got 3cc's in my pealize band. but i have some restriction. i get another fill dec. 1st. but i dont think i need more then 1cc. i dont want to have to much.

i like the Protein slammers to. im thinking i need to start getting more protein in myself.

i weighted this morning and if my scales are right(which is why i want to go the meetings to get on there scales) i have lost a total of 45.3 pounds since aug. 26th. so im hoping there right.

Hey Jason ~ Right now I am drinking a Protein Shake for b'fast along with a Fiber induced yogurt. Then I am eating my snack at 9:45 (light string cheese) with another yogurt. I am eating grilled fish for lunch along with a green veggie. I had a long talk with Veronica this evening and she suggested that I email Ashley and see if she can help. I am only eating about 650 calories a day and Veronica thinks that is not enough. I haven't been able to incorporate a regular exercise program yet because my port incision opened up so I am still trying to get that to heal (still infected). SO~ I know I am lacking in that area. I don't get my first fill until Dec 9th so I am praying that will kick start my weight loss! Let me know Jason if you think I need to eat more protein. I am getting in about 65 to 80 grams a day.

alabama, your getting in the Protein. but you need more calories. you should be getting in at least around 900-1100 on the low end. if you dont get enough calories in you want lose weight. so try to get a little more calories in. and you should see some weight loss then. but when you get that port site cleared up please start walking and exercising. you really need to do that to loss the weight. i know you cant right now but you will soon.

also try eating another snack if you can at night. like suger free Jello pudding. its just 60 calories and that will help getting more in. i had a long talk with ashley about calorie intake at my 6 week check up. and she helped me under stand on how much claories i needed. but dont worry that wait will start to come off in due time. keep up the good work.

debbut, i will have to say i didn't feel anyway different until i got some new clothes and had to go down 2 size in shirts and 2 sizes in pants. bow i can look in the mirror and see a new me already. i feel like im more outgoing person now. and i hope i keep feeling that way as i lose more weight. and don't worry debbut you will feel like a new woman when you start losing the weight and know its not coming back this time.

Hey Jason ~ Right now I am drinking a Protein Shake for b'fast along with a Fiber induced yogurt. Then I am eating my snack at 9:45 (light string cheese) with another yogurt. I am eating grilled fish for lunch along with a green veggie. I had a long talk with Veronica this evening and she suggested that I email Ashley and see if she can help. I am only eating about 650 calories a day and Veronica thinks that is not enough. I haven't been able to incorporate a regular exercise program yet because my port incision opened up so I am still trying to get that to heal (still infected). SO~ I know I am lacking in that area. I don't get my first fill until Dec 9th so I am praying that will kick start my weight loss! Let me know Jason if you think I need to eat more Protein. I am getting in about 65 to 80 grams a day.

Girl you are getting in an awesome amount of protein but you REALLY gotta work on that calorie intake. Below about 900 calories and thats just on average our bodies go into starvation mode. Meaning that your body will do all it can to hang on to every little calorie that you eat...YOU WILL NOT LOSE weight that way. Remember that in your case more is less!! If I were you trying to heal I would bump my calorie intake up your body needs the nutrients to repair itself. I would aim for AT LEAST 1000 calories per day if not more right now!! You can do it!!! :thumbup::thumbup::eek:

Thank you guys! I kinda figured that was what was going on, but I wasn't sure. I ate 906 yesterday and as of this morning I'm down another 2 lbs from the 4 I gained. Thank you all for your support! I just feel like I'm trying so hard and not going anywhere! I also emailed Ashley and asked that she look at my food diary, so maybe she can make some suggestions for me! I love talking to you guys!

Hey Shawna ~ I have an insurance question. You said that you were still battling the insurance co...well I got a claim report saying they were not going to pay for the anesthesia. WHAT?? They will pay and approve the surgery but not the anesthesia part? That makes no sense. What kind of problem are you having with them?

Hey guys I am now post op day day three. I start each day feeling better than they day before but by night time, especially last night, I am hurting so bad I cant sit still. I know alot of it is still gas pain and last night after drinking a cup of broth I felt so full I was going to explode. I felt like I really needed to burp or hiccup and couldnt do either. I drove a little yesterday and think it may have been too early to try and get out. Anyone else feel this way in the first few days after surgery? Should I be trying to walk more? I am only taking the liquid lortab at bedtime now and taking liquid tylenol 1-2 times during the day. Thanks everyone.

Hey Shawna ~ I have an insurance question. You said that you were still battling the insurance co...well I got a claim report saying they were not going to pay for the anesthesia. WHAT?? They will pay and approve the surgery but not the anesthesia part? That makes no sense. What kind of problem are you having with them?

I had to insurances at the time of surgery. One was through Tim (which should have been cancelled when his plant closed in February) and the other was what I had through St. Vincent's. When his job ended I told Neomi to be sure and use the St. Vincent's insurance for the approval. Well when they made a claim on the St. V's insurance it automatically linked up with Tim's old insurance (that was still active). His insurance paid the deductable (which was cool), but I think somehow they have crossed wires on which policy is actually covering the procedure. Crazy! Both policies cover the surgery and obviously one of the approved it. This is 6 months out! I would call the insurance company and asked why anesthesia was not covered. Have you received a bill yet? If not - it could have been a mistake when they submitted the charges and they are correcting it. Just be sure and know what your policy covers towards anesthesia. That way you know where you stand.

CD I was sore for about the first 3 days and got out on the 4th day (which wore me out). I really felt "better" about 5-6 days out. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday. Just take it easy and don't push it.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Hey guys I am now post op day day three. I start each day feeling better than they day before but by night time, especially last night, I am hurting so bad I cant sit still. I know alot of it is still gas pain and last night after drinking a cup of broth I felt so full I was going to explode. I felt like I really needed to burp or hiccup and couldnt do either. I drove a little yesterday and think it may have been too early to try and get out. Anyone else feel this way in the first few days after surgery? Should I be trying to walk more? I am only taking the liquid lortab at bedtime now and taking liquid tylenol 1-2 times during the day. Thanks everyone.

CD ~ I remember feeling that way and when I did burp for the first time - IT FELT AWESOME!!!! :thumbup: I have to tell you though it is truly an experience. When I was eating about the third day out, broth really filled me up, so I think you are doing great!

Shawna ~ I haven't received a bill yet, but I was emailed the claims report from BC/BS. I am just going to wait. I emailed them this morning so depending on the reply I will probably call my local insurance girl.

Great to see everyone is doing good!