Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eternal Sunshine of the Banded Stomach

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from Tempe, Arizona and I'm married with one son who just turned 13. Had my banding done on 2-18-08. It's going well so far but I'll be really glad when I get off pureed foods. My doctor has a pretty rigid diet plan it seems from what I've read here. I had 2-week pre-op diet that was bariatric clear liquid only with 3 Protein shakes. Then post op was bariatric full liquid until my 2 week post op. Now it's 2 ozs of pureed Protein and 2 ozs of pureed veggies or fruit per meal plus 2-3 Protein Shakes. My next appointment is on 4-1 and I should get my first fill and then get whole foods the next day. Been doing pretty well on the diet though I have had a couple chocolate cake slip ups.

Heard someone mention something about "PB and slime" or something like that as a reaction to eating something that your stomach doesn't like. Anyone know what that meant? It was enough to make me want to eat better.

Other thing going on in my life right now is that my husband of almost 14 years was diagnosed with a brain tumor 4 days after my surgery. They removed the tumor and he's now started chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Think that's also helped me stick to my diet, just not hungry most of the time. I have a blog that I do for his care but figured this could be a place for me to focus on my health.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

Hi and welcome. You will find so much information about the band here. So many different people with different experiences.

As for me, I think I slime more than anyone else or those willing to admit it. But I've never PB'd.

Slime is something everyone has. It helps the esophogas carry the food from the mouth to the stomach. Think of it as grease or a lubricant. When you get restriction, the food tends to linger in the esopogas a little longer, that is your 3rd or 4th bite because previous swallows has that food sitting at the band...so other food is just backing up.

So those bites get a build up of this slime. It's just the body's way of utilizing the food. But sometimes, and with me it's always, the body will expell it rather than take it on down to the stomach.

It's painless and quick. I simply lean over the sink and let gravity take it's course.

Now PB'ing...that's Productive Burp...and people do that to, banded or not. Babies do it and spit up their milk. Teens do it to expell the extra air with their Dr. Pepper. Bandsters can do it, too. It helps get rid of air and move food through.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on how things go for you.

It's painless and quick. I simply lean over the sink and let gravity take it's course.

i always considered anything that made a 'return visit' to be a PB. it's productively bringing something back up. it may include slime, but it's a PB in my eyes

Hi and welcome to LBT! It sounds like you are doing well with your band so far. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

I hope your husband is doing better and all goes well for both of you.

Thank you for your comments on pbing and slime-ing. I have had it since last week when I got my first fill. I don't have it all the time, but atleast I better understand what's going on inside of me, thank you for taking time to response to the question! Happy Easter.