Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many reach goal

I would like to know if anyone knows what % actually reach goal weight?

What % maintain that goal and how long it took to get there?:shades_smile:

i think a really good percentage here who have been banded for awhile are at or are very close to goal. there is a sub forum, Life At (or Near) Goal Weight - Lap Band Talk Forum - The largest forum for Lap Band Surgery Discussion and Lap Band Surgery Support

poke around there.. i know a few off hand that have reached goal (Chickie, JulieNYC *she may be 2-3 pounds from goal*, Jachut... and several more)

good luck

First we have to determine what "goal" weight is. Each person has a different idea for what their goal weight is. Some might set a goal weight that might be very hard to acheive. I mean if we've been overweight for a very long time, we have issues with food, so weighing the same thing I did in High school when I was 40 years younger, might be unrealistic.

And averages are just that, average. Meaning some people acheive better results and some lesser result. How hard you are willing to work at achieving your goal should really be factored into this statistic.

There are many on the forum that are willing to do a lot of exercise ( like Losingjusme above) or others that don;t work as hard at that part (like me).

There are some people that keep their bands very tight to reach or stay at goal and others that are happy to have a looser band and acheive a weight slightly more than their ideal. There is a certain amount of individual factors that don't show in stats.

The band manufacturers do have some stats online that you might find doing a search.

Do check the "Life at or near goal" forum.

Perhaps more important than "how many make it" is "what reasons do people not make it."

I'm trudging alonng. Started the year with roughly 60 lbs left to lose, currently around 45.

There are some people that keep their bands very tight to reach or stay at goal and others that are happy to have a looser band and acheive a weight slightly more than their ideal.

And there are people who have empty bands, no restriction and stay at goal :shades_smile:

Not everyone who is at goal has a super tight band Shortgal.

Chickie, Did you miss the part of my post that mentioned there are people who are willing to exercise harder than others to acheive goal?

I was simply pointing out that "averages" are averages, some will have bad results, some good results, some great results and there are varying reasons for the average results.

One I forgot to mention is age. You've had great results and have worked hard to achieve them, but you are 20 years younger than the person asking the question.

Again, just factors that make up "percentages" which was the question.

Sorry, if you were offended.

There was some show on this morning that said very few people that undergo weight loss surgery ever actually hit a "normal" weight. I found that surprising. I wonder what the actual data is.

There was some show on this morning that said very few people that undergo weight loss surgery ever actually hit a "normal" weight. I found that surprising. I wonder what the actual data is.

Results & Statistics

there's one study with average results. So many factors, why were these patients and Dr's chosen for the study?

Some studies are broken down by super obese starting weight and morbidly obese starting weight.

All in all, it looks like the average weight loss is about 50 to 60% of excess weight.

Yeah, it depends what you mean by goal. You can set any goal you like, and some goals are, if not actually " easier", well, more likely to be met than others.

If you mean truly "normal" weight, like a BMI of under 25, then I'd say not a huge percentage, which doesnt by any means indicate the lapband doesnt work. I'll guarantee you than 99.9% of people who exercise vigorously with dedication can do it, and will be more successful at staying there too.

Probably more younger people than older manage it, and I think it has a lot to do with actually changing your body composition positively, not just losing "weight".

I agree - the term "goal" is thrown around a lot and has different meanings for different people.

My Drs goal for me was 187 pounds - going on the 50-60% weight loss averages, he put me at the higher end because he saw the determination in me and said from the beginning he though I'd be one of his sucess stories.

The top of a "normal" BMI for my height is 145 pounds.

My goal (readjusted down just this morning in fact) is 132. I may adjust it lower again when I get there, we'll see. People keep telling me I'll be too thin. I don't care. I'll be a normal BMI.

As of today I'm around 150 pounds and have lost about 85% of my excess weight.

As you can see, thats a range of numbers to choose from, satisfying different people along the way.

My Mum also has a band and is 59 years old (30 years older than I). She has lost about 90% of her excess weight in a year and continues to lose steadily. She has had quicker sucess that I for a myriad of reasons. Age may in some cases means an easier/quicker journey, in others not.

It just doens't make sense to compare to others, I know its SO hard not to because we want a guide or an indicator of how well we could/might do, but this journey is unique for each and every one of us. Each person should work as hard as they can with their band and not get caught up in other peoples numbers. This is your life you are saving/extending by losing this weight after all....why should other people's numbers matter?

Do you remember Stats?

Not worrying about the term "GOAL" if there are a group of people who get the same procedure they are going to fall into the bell curve somewhere.

Having met some lapbanders I find it perfectly resonable based on their behavior, not following sound advice, that they will be in the majority and only lose 50-60% of their weight.

I decided when I was told that was the average that I was going to be not one but two standard diveations from the norm and see my goal weight. I'm not there yet, but to date, I'm doing pretty well. When I see badly behaving bandsters I figure someone needs to pad the numbers, so I don't lecture.

So the question is, are you going to be average or above average? You've are capable of putting all excuses aside and seeing your goal weight. You've just got to decide that's what you are going to do. Yes, it's that simple.

And for a refresher. Here's a bell curve:

bell_curve.gif

I've often wondered about that 50-60% of excess weight statistic. Does that mean 50% of the weight over normal BMI, or over what the dr's goal for them was, or did they set their own goal, or what. And, did these people all get regular fills, or are the people that get the band and never get a single fill included in that statistic as well?

I think we need a more comprehensive study.

So the question is, are you going to be average or above average? You've are capable of putting all excuses aside and seeing your goal weight. You've just got to decide that's what you are going to do. Yes, it's that simple.

THANK YOU!

I've often wondered about that 50-60% of excess weight statistic. Does that mean 50% of the weight over normal BMI, or over what the dr's goal for them was, or did they set their own goal, or what. And, did these people all get regular fills, or are the people that get the band and never get a single fill included in that statistic as well?

I think we need a more comprehensive study.

Oh I love data, and would like to see a comprehensive study. But really, when it comes to crunch time it's the individual and their committment to doing what they want to do.

Some people are pleased be less fat than they were without the band. Some people perfer never to have to exercise and are willing give up thoughts of losing those last 20 pounds. Some want to be curvy or whatever...

It's what you want.