Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BCBS of Al 6 mo supervised diet question

On March 12th I went to my first appt. with the WLS. I took with me the print out from bcbs website. I interpreted it as saying the surgeon could not supervise the 6 mo weight loss. Only your primary or another attending physican. When I showed them this they said they could supervise it. It also says on bcbs page that a dietician employed by them or acting as a consultant to the surgeron could not be used. They said their dietician was not employed by them but was the one they used. Hello, isn't that the same as a consultant? So here's how they have laid out my 6 mo plan. Ist visit was on march 12th. I was weighed and the process began. 2nd month is on April 2 with the dietician( a little soon I thought for the 2nd month's visit. 3rd month - Psychology session and a weight counselor session. Who counts as the physican that month, the psychologist or the weight counselor who's probably not even a Doctor? 4th and 5th month-weight loss counselor sessions. 6 month- meet with the surgeon last time. By the way, they never gave me any diet when I was in there. They told me because I was so close, 35.2 bmi not to lose any weight because I would be under the requirements. I have high blood pressure. Please somebody help me with this. THANK YOU

Because there are SO many differing answers...I, too, have received them from everyone I talk to, including BCBS, I would trust your surgeon's office with it. They do this everyday and I am certain are more familiar with what would be covered and how to get it covered. They want your money or else they'd offer to do it for free, right? At this point, it's up to you but I'd say they know what they are doing.

BTW, who are you using?

I'm using Dr. Baptista in Jacksonville. We live in Florida but have BCBS of Ala. I do somewhat trust my Dr.s office, however, I'm concerned about the months where I'm seeing the WLCounselor, whose not a physican I'm pretty sure. Also aren't they supposed to be documenting the weight loss attempts with an explanation each month? What role does my primary play in all this? I didn't mention in the already long post earlier but I don't have a three year documented weight history of 35 bmi w/ co-morbid problems. It's probably more like 32 - 34 on the other years. I"m 245 5'10. 2007 229 2006 210 and 2005 221. It's a long shot to begin with, but I just don't want to wait 6 mo only to have them tell me I'm not eligible because I didn't follow their guidelines. Yhanks