Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi y'all!

Here's where I reintroduced myself, in case you missed it: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f18/re-intro-long-ramble-53786/

I've taken the first baby steps on this journey again. I called my PCM and she gave me a referral to the surgeon (which I have received but it's just for a visit), and I've been to the informational seminar (DH was sick and didn't come with me) and turned in all my paperwork. They said that it usually takes 2-4 weeks to get the approval.

Next up for me is to see the psychologist and wait for the surgeon's office to phone once the insurance gives the nod (Tricare).

I'm both excited and terrified. Getting a lapband has been unattainable for me for so long, and I had just about given up hope, but now it looks like it could happen in the next few weeks/months.

Timing wise, I hope it happens sooner rather than later because I'm going for #1 in my Mary Kay national area (out of 1200+ consultants) so I can't be out of commission for too long, and I'll have a big/huge/exhausting business trip (Mary Kay Seminar) in mid July and I want to either be up and running by then (and back on solid foods comfortably) or at least not on the pre-diet. I'd also rather not delay the surgery until after the meeting because I'm always so pumped up and ready to work afterwards that I'd hate to spoil that groove. ;-) Surgery in April, gives me May and June to recover and finish up my goals by June 30 (which is our MK year end).

Otherwise, the best time for me to do this would probably be in late Sept/early Oct, and it would really suck to have to wait that long.

In Other News: I decided to start keeping a food journal so I could really look at what I eat and show the nutritionist. I am not actively changing my eating habits at the moment because I wanted to get a really good look at what I do when I'm not consciously watching what I eat. What I've found so far has surprised me. I rarely eat over 1600 calories a day. I would have guessed more like 2500. And I'm not missing anything on my journal. Even the little "walk in the kitchen and grab a few pieces of crystallized ginger" moments have been tracked - wow, I need to stop that! I'm eating 6-12 little pieces/day (to the tune of an extra 150-300 calories). So I guess this will be my last bag of ginger goodies!

I have fallen off the exercise wagon the past couple of weeks. For stupid reasons: DH was home sick several days each week, and he just throws off the whole groove of my days at home when he's here. DD also caught the same bug, so that took a few days out of my schedule to do doctors visits for both of them. But today, I'm sitting here with my walking shoes strapped to my feet and I'm off to get in at least a mile as soon as I submit this (I'll report back when I've accomplished it!).

Strangely enough, I've lost about 10lbs in the past week or so, I knew I was retaining a little Water from TOM, but wow I went from 308 (my highest weight ever at home) to 296. If only it was always that easy.

On the fashion front, I've been making myself over. I joined a fashion forum, and got a subscription to a newsletter that helps me figure out what looks good on my rounder shape, bought a few new dresses, blouses, and belts (I never wear a belt!), started getting my nails done again, visited my stylist to have my shapeless mop colored, cut and styled. And on top it all off, Mary Kay just came out with new mineral powders and colors so I'm tossing all my old make up and renewing everything! Woohoo! A brand new me who feels smoking hot, and I don't even have the band yet!

On the DH front, I'm still worried a bit. I've started talking about how I'm going to have to eat very differently, and it will be hard on me if he expects me to "have dinner on the table" so to speak when I'm on liquids. I know he says it won't be a problem, but I can tell he's going to whine. My plan is to make up quite a few dinner kits for the freezer - the problem is never that he won't cook, it's that he looks in the fridge and sees only stuff to make grilled cheese, but when I look in there I can make a 3 course dinner - it's a lack of cooking imagination when faced with raw ingredients. My DD will get very tired of his 3 note repertoire after the first week or so. So having bunches of ready made dinners planned will help preempt that problem. I'll also put a few frozen dinners (kid/lean cuisine) in the freezer for DD to use as a backup plan.

So those are my baby steps. Now I'm off for my mile+ and then I'll phone for the psych appt.

Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome!

Always ;-)

Hunzi

Hi Hunzi...I, too, have a DH that lacks talent in the kitchen. I have become pretty independent since becoming an empty-nester 7 years ago. My DH gets a lot of freezer meals when I am off and running. Hey..either he learns to cook or he eats out of the freezer. At least it's something homemade and honestly not lacking in taste or quality. I bet your DH will survive through this also. Good luck to you.