Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did those of you already banded do when you were in "limboland"? That's the place I'm calling it when I've started the process of getting approved for the lapband, but my preliminary tests aren't until next week, I still don't have the letter of support from my PCP and I don't have approval from my insurance nor a surgery date. So basically, I have no idea when I might be having surgery/ While I'm not really kidding myself that I'll lose weight right now, I'm trying not to gain either.

I know my insurance does not require a physician monitored diet (or any diet) ahead of time. My surgeon has a low carb/high Protein diet to follow two weeks before surgery, but who knows when that will be. We are leaving for vacation tomorrow to Orlando for 6 days and then the day after we get back is when I have the psych eval and some other test (still not really sure what kind of test).

I was told that since I have BCBS and I'm using a Center of Excellence, BCBS pretty much gives prior authorization for the surgery within a few days of the test results being submitted. So who knows, maybe actual surgery could be anywhere from 1 month to 2 months out.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm rambling. I know I should start some form of diet/exercise now but with vacation coming up I'm not sure what to do. We'll be doing Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure so we should be getting in a fair amount of walking and I'm going to try not to over do it with eating while there and while traveling (we are driving from NC).

I guess I was just hoping to hear others have gone through and gotten through this period of unknown and come out banded okay and ready to lose weight.

Again, sorry for the incessant babbling and thanks for letting me go on :thumbup:

Heather

I remember limboland very well. I had to do 6 mth weigh in before my insurance would cover the band. It had to show that my weight was consistent and they put me on a healthier diet to see if I could lose weight on my own. I could not of course and finally got my band in Nov. Best wait of my life. So very worth it. Take this time to study up on the band. The more info, the better for you. Good luck and happier days ahead!

I worked on getting my head into the NEW game of ME! I started living like I was going to change my life. If you behave that way, it will BE that way! It was a whole shift for me. I started drinking a gallon of Water a day. I ate more salads and worked on cooking more healthfully. I started working out. The working out put me in decent shape for surgery and my doc was super impressed because my lung capacity and oxygen saturation was so good ... and I weighed 367! BUT, for a solid 4 months, I was lifting, walking, doing elliptical (and I started doing elliptical ONE MINUTE at a time because I was so out of shape!). Now, I stop myself after basically running on it for 60 minutes! LIVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE...band or not! When the band comes, it will be so much easier!!!

I asked for a copy of the pre-op diet ahead of time and started it so I could be ahead of the game. Except for the working out part that rharriet62 was talking about, I did everything rharriet62 did.

rharriet62-you have really inspired me regarding the elliptical. My thighs are so weak and I hate the elliptical. I could only do three minutes and just gave up on it, but like you said "ONE MINUTE at a time"!!! I will get back to it! Thanks!

Hey Bunny! Thanks! Yeah, when I started out on the elliptical, I did about 1 minute and was done. I would catch my breath and try to get in one more minute. I would do this up to a 10 min total and then stop. I just kept working up and up and I still remember the day I came home SO HAPPY because I went 5 minutes straight! Of course, I chuckle about that now because I have to power it up hard for at least 12 minutes to even start a light sweat! But, this has built me up so now I run inside and out and bike outside when the weather is nice. It's a great whole body exercise!!!