Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoosier (Indiana) Banders Need Help

Hello:

I am contemplating LapBand surgery.

I am from Northwest Indiana.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking in Southlake Methodist Hospital in Merrillville, Indiana.

That is very close to me.

How has your experience been.

Anything I should know that would make me say, "Yes, let's do it!"

Thanks for your time,

Carol

Carol, I'm not from Indiana but I can say this is the best thing that I have done for myself. search around LBT and your will find lots of information. Good and Bad.

Good luck on your decision!

Guest cathyc

Carol,

I had lap band surgery in Jan and I highly recommend. Unfortunately my insurance denied my surgery and I was unable to find a hospital that I could afford to pay on my own. It wasn't the surgeons becoz they gave me a reduced price for self-pay but the hospitals (6 different ones throughout Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, & Ohio) refused.

I am in Noblesville and am trying to get all Indiana lap band folks together once a month or so to just chat. Let me know if you would like to be included. Iff you are still deciding maybe we will be able to answer those questions you have found answers on this support board.

Guest cass617

Carol,

I am also from Northwest Indiana and are filling out the required paperwork for lap band surgery at Southlake Methodist Hospital in Merrillville. Hope to have it done this summer. If it helps, my doctor recommended Southlake Methodist for this type of surgery and said it was probably one of the best places to go in the area for this. She also recommended the Drs highly.

Kim

Carol,

I'm from South Bend, and I decided to have mine done by Dr. Horgan at the Minimally Invasive Bariactric Center in Chicago. Check it out at lapbandcenter.com. I suggest you go to one of their free seminars. I just had my surgery on April 6, so I'm still healing and things are strange and difficult right now, but I'm still glad I did it.

Someone I know had it done by Ortiz in Mexico and she was very pleased with everything. I payed about 50% more than I would going to Mexico, but I decided I'd rather drive to my follow up appointments than fly!

smellycat

Guest Pally

Smellycat,

I am from NW IN, what made you choose the Bariatric Center instead of WISH in Chicago? Also, if I may ask, did you have to pay for it, and if so do you mind sharing how much it was? Just starting the process and gathering info. thanks.

Hi, I am from Evansville, IN and I'm looking into having the lap-band done. I have been talking to my family physician. I have not found a doctor yet that I feel comfortable with. Any suggestions anyone???? Also, what about healing time, from the ones that have had this done. How long before they felt up to going back to work or normal activities?

Guest Cocco

Hi all,

I was just online looking out for places where I could get more real people to talk to not just nurses or doctors but patients. I just started the process with Dr. Brad Ray in Bloomington, IN. By the way, that is where I live. He is supposed to be very great with patients and I hope it goes smoothly. I'm a student and this is one of my two main goals for the summer. I'm looking to lose about a hunded pounds. Are there any tips I could use? I hope to get to know you all better. I already feel better about the surgery knowing there are people out there who are so positive about it.

Guest Vlo

Hi everone,

I am looking for fellow hoosier to talk to who are in the same situation as I am. I just got banded July 4 by Dr Ortiz and Dr Martinez (sexy) and doing fine. Im from South Bend.

Guest cathyc

Hello,

I was banded Jan. 12 and have lost 60 lbs. so far. Where were you banded? I was banded in Mexico.

I am setting up an Indiana Bandster group and would like to invite you. Looks like our first meeting will be Sept. 24 in the early afternoon.

Let me know you if you interested.

Cathy

cathycoolidge@gmail.com

I was also banded in Mexcio with Drs. Ortiz and Martinez. Does anyone know if there is a doctor that will fill their patients? I would hate to fly to Mexico for a fill.

Guest jerralyj

Hi, I live in LaPorte, In. and am thinking of having the lapband. My friend told me about a Dr.Paul Stanish at the Merriville Southlake Methodist Hospital on Broadway. She said he is a real good doctor...just wondered if anyone else has either heard of him or used him for their LapBand?

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jodi and I will be having the lapband Aug 31st (tomorrow). My doctor is Dr Steven Clark from the St Francis Bariatric Center/St Francis Hospital Beech Grove Indiana. I'm looking forward to meeting follow bandsters and anticipate my "new" life to begin soon. I have declared September as my offical End of Summer Clearance Weight Month.

Hi everyone, I am also a newbie, my surgery is set up for Nov 19th and I am looking forward to it, but at the same time researching any information that I can find that may not have been told to me. I am from the Indy area and I am going thru St Francis and Dr Steven Clark is my surgeon...has anyone had any comments. I started the process in March and finally got approval and working thru the final steps now

Hey PinkLady,

As you can see I'm now a little over three plus years out and Dr Clark was my surgeon. You couldn't ask for a better surgeon. He is great. And so is his asst. (if you haven't met her yet you will because she does all the fills). Infact I go see them today. You have nothing to worry about.

Good Luck

Jodi