Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went for my intro meeting last night and that went really good. Now the surgeons office will call me today to set up an appointment to meet the actual surgeon!

I did call my insurance company and they require six months of working with your primary caregiver and then we can go from there. I'm guess i'm just a little disspaointed to get so much information last night, and feel like I'm put on hold for six months. Anyone else have to wait like this..

Kristen

Kristen..Ditto. I have BCBS and six months diet is their requirement also. It's not so bad. I have a month left and actually has given me the time I needed to get my head around what I am in for. My surgeon encourages his patients to lose as much weight as possible in this pre-op period of time. I am happy I jumped on it right away. I now feel that I will have an easier time after banded because I have eaten as if I had the band for the last five months. The way I see this prep time is; the band is for a life time. Why not be ready for that band when the time comes. Good luck and hope your six months goes by quickly for you

Apples: I'm glad that your time is coming up ..one month will go by so fast! :biggrin:

I know that in the long run six months isn't a lot of time, and I'm looking forward to reading up on everything & shedding some pounds while I wait.

At least my six months falls in the summer time, and that always seems to go by so fast! :thumbup:

Yes, I too was told that my insurance company requires a Dr. Supervised weight loss program before they can even submit the authorization for surgery. It's very frustrating, I agree. I have been through my orientation meeting, my first support group, and I will begin my psych evaluation soon. My "meet with the Dr." and my appt with the dietician isn't until the end of April.

planttoshrink- I think i'm scared that after doing all the 'work' going to different appointments/doctors ect ..that we run the chance of still not having it approved.

and that would be a huge let down..

Kristen I know someone last week was in the same boat and they were looking for a diet buddy for their 6 months. I think a lot of insurance companies and doctors feel that way. I think it is proof you can make those necessary changes in eating habits. I am self pay but I am starting to have thoughts of losing as much as I can then get banded since it would be easier than going through all this fat. Wish I had it done 2 years ago when I lost 75 lbs in 4 months.....that would have been the perfect time!

Good luck. At least you get to see the surgeon. I am still waiting to talk to mine.

Kristen..Ditto. I have BCBS and six months diet is their requirement also. It's not so bad. I have a month left and actually has given me the time I needed to get my head around what I am in for. My surgeon encourages his patients to lose as much weight as possible in this pre-op period of time. I am happy I jumped on it right away. I now feel that I will have an easier time after banded because I have eaten as if I had the band for the last five months. The way I see this prep time is; the band is for a life time. Why not be ready for that band when the time comes. Good luck and hope your six months goes by quickly for you

I am in the same boat as you :biggrin: I have BCBS and I am 14 days away from last appt! I didn't jump on the weightloss wagon as fast as I should have... I waited till the last 1.5 months.. I plan to lose about 10 more tho before surgery maybe even more if I do a liquid pre op.

I agree I didn't think I needed the 6 months to adjust but I think looking back it gave me alot of time to learn things that might have came up after being banded :thumbup:

I agree, however take into mind that when they send the authorization in they will use your current weight, not what you have lost during the 6 mos phase. I was feeling like you the first couple of days, but my frame of mind is a little different. I think by doing the 6 mos the insurance company wants to make sure that you are capable of sticking to a plan since you have to follow such a strict diet after surgery. They probably don't want to pay for a surgery that may be sabotaged a few months later by not eating right. As long as your doc states it's medically necessary, it most likely will be approved. Good Luck with everything. and if it helps. my way of thinking now, is that 6 months is going to pass anyways, why not try to live it more healthy. Think about how much better the recovery will be by losing a little weight before the big day. Hang in there.

I am in the same boat as you :biggrin: I have BCBS and I am 14 days away from last appt! I didn't jump on the weightloss wagon as fast as I should have... I waited till the last 1.5 months.. I plan to lose about 10 more tho before surgery maybe even more if I do a liquid pre op.

I agree I didn't think I needed the 6 months to adjust but I think looking back it gave me alot of time to learn things that might have came up after being banded :thumbup:

Hey Brandy, Sounds like you got yourself on the right track. You most likely will lose more than 10lbs if you stick to the pre-op liquid diet. I am also 14 days from seeing the surgeon for the last time. (He did all my monthly appts. with me). I do not have a surgery date and I imagine you do not either. My surgeon's office manager will submit my paperwork again after my next appt. The office submitted everything at 3 months just to see if they would take it. Denied on the basis that I needed to do the next 3 months. I was a little disappointed at first (for about 30 seconds) and just got over it. Not a big deal. I am 46lbs down from the start and feel 10x better. I would do this all over again and am hoping that this all makes a difference after the band. Good luck with your approval, Brandy.

Hey Brandy, Sounds like you got yourself on the right track. You most likely will lose more than 10lbs if you stick to the pre-op liquid diet. I am also 14 days from seeing the surgeon for the last time. (He did all my monthly appts. with me). I do not have a surgery date and I imagine you do not either. My surgeon's office manager will submit my paperwork again after my next appt. The office submitted everything at 3 months just to see if they would take it. Denied on the basis that I needed to do the next 3 months. I was a little disappointed at first (for about 30 seconds) and just got over it. Not a big deal. I am 46lbs down from the start and feel 10x better. I would do this all over again and am hoping that this all makes a difference after the band. Good luck with your approval, Brandy.

I checekd with my insurance and was told they only need 10 days to make a decision so I hope when I submit on 4/2 that they get to work on it asap haha. My surgeon said he might be April to get me banded by the end of April if the insurance comes through.

I checekd with my insurance and was told they only need 10 days to make a decision so I hope when I submit on 4/2 that they get to work on it asap haha. My surgeon said he might be April to get me banded by the end of April if the insurance comes through.

When mine got sent in the first time, it took 9 bus. days. I would have found out at 5 days but the person working on my case sent my paperwork to her manager for consideration. I bet you can count on your answer within a two week period of time.

This sounds silly but I am going to have to try and schedule my surgery around work. We farm and would be nice to have the planting out of the way b/4 surgery. It's not like I'm out toiling in the field but I am the gopher and cook for hired men. It would be far more convenient for me to get banded after June 3. I can then go to my lake home, not worry about things on the farm and relax.

When mine got sent in the first time, it took 9 bus. days. I would have found out at 5 days but the person working on my case sent my paperwork to her manager for consideration. I bet you can count on your answer within a two week period of time.

This sounds silly but I am going to have to try and schedule my surgery around work. We farm and would be nice to have the planting out of the way b/4 surgery. It's not like I'm out toiling in the field but I am the gopher and cook for hired men. It would be far more convenient for me to get banded after June 3. I can then go to my lake home, not worry about things on the farm and relax.

It doesn't sound silly at all... we must do what works best for us. If I was you I would wait for a time like you said that you won't be stressed and you can just kick back. I am sure that your healing will go much smoother. I am just taking a week off work even though I have a desk job and I am going to just lay around the house. My work knows I am having surgery but they don't know what kind... they offered to let me take a couple weeks off but I want to come back to keep my mind off things :biggrin:

It doesn't sound silly at all... we must do what works best for us. If I was you I would wait for a time like you said that you won't be stressed and you can just kick back. I am sure that your healing will go much smoother. I am just taking a week off work even though I have a desk job and I am going to just lay around the house. My work knows I am having surgery but they don't know what kind... they offered to let me take a couple weeks off but I want to come back to keep my mind off things :biggrin:

If I was still working away from home, I would only take a week. My job is a little more physical (jumping in and out of trucks, hauling trailers, etc). My husband is so supportive of this and I know he will make me lay low for as long as I should. I really want to concentrate on eating right and taking care of myself right of the bat. I hope things go smoothly for you.