Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After you lose the weight..then what?

Hi Bansters,

I am seriously considering getting banded. One area of concern/question is what happens 3,5 10 years out? Once you reach your goal weight do you loosen up the band? Do you eat different? Does life change (from a food intake perspective) once you have reached the goal weight? If so how? I don't see these questions being discussed too much here. It seems like this forum is a place to come when your in the process, but once your "done" you stop talking about it.

I hope to hear from some long time vets!

Thanks

Archer

I am almost 2 years out now, but I can tell you that I have changed my life. I did get an unfill after hitting goal. I look at food very differently now, and it is about eating for life, not eating to live. I know the calorie count of just about everything I eat. I like it that way. I holpe it continues 10 years from now...

I am still here for the friends and support. I know really at any point I could fall off the wagon.

Many of the people here are one to two years out from surgery, but there are a few on here that have been banded since 2004 or 2005. I guess the rest just move on with their lives and the surgery becomes a faded memory.

I have seen some banders that reach goal, say they have a slight unfill once they start maintenance.

The good thing is the band is adjustable, so we have some options.

We can generally add some additional calories each day once we're at maintenance, but we should always eat Protein first, then veggies, then small portion of carbs. For me, once I'm at goal, I would like to add whole wheat bread and more dairy as my extra calories. The bread for Fiber and the dairy for Calcium.

I was banded December 05, for me, no unfill, weight loss just petered out and I have sat here at 72kg for about six months.

I have kept up an exercise schedule, in fact am always challenging myself to get better and better and am training to do a half marathon. I'm adding the gym back in soon too.

I look at my body now in terms of not weight but fat and muscle, I'd still like to change my composition a bit but I dont need to lose actual weight.

My eating, hmmmm, I'm nowhere near as strict as I needed to be to lose, and I have phases of not eating very well - not pigging out etc but just eating too many non nutritious foods. But most of the time I just eat like anormal person. My restriction was always moderate and has loosened ever so slightly so I've not needed to mess with it.

I do think though that I will always need some restriction to maintain.

What happens is....

once you reach your goal determine if you continue to lose weight/gain, or what.

If you determine that you still lose weight you would go to your doc for a slight unfill. Somewhere between .2 and .5cc depending upon many factors.

After a while, like 1,2,3, or 4 weeks you reaccess...are you gaining again? If so, go back for that fill. Are you losing still? Go back for a slight untill. Are you maintaining? Then you are done.

I've often wondered what happens now. I met goal and had an unfill in January of the .3cc. I'm maintaining. I see the scales go up a few pounds but they tend to come right back off without dieting or exercise...just a fluke of sorts. But those extra pounds, like those w/o WLS...tell me to watch what I eat or drink. When I gain a few pounds the first thing I do is watch the soda pop intake. That usually does it for me.

Fill Centers USA called to check up on me as they haven't heard from me in 3 months...but all is well. I'll call them when I need them!

Hi Bansters,

I am seriously considering getting banded. One area of concern/question is what happens 3,5 10 years out? Once you reach your goal weight do you loosen up the band? Do you eat different? Does life change (from a food intake perspective) once you have reached the goal weight? If so how? I don't see these questions being discussed too much here. It seems like this forum is a place to come when your in the process, but once your "done" you stop talking about it.

I hope to hear from some long time vets!

Thanks

Archer

Basically we have learned how to be thin.. (or thinner)

What does that mean? Well we are healthy again, no longer addicted to food or the eating ritual. Just like when we were not obese. Simply we are OK.

As for those that don't post anymore, well they don;t need to. They are OK, again.

When you go for your drivers test you read the book, talk to other drivers and then take the test Right? Well do you talk about it any more? Do you read the book any more?

Most folks that join a group like this are in a couple of catagories such as;

1. They are looking into weightloss surgery.

2. They have determined that a band is for them.

3. They are on their way to getting approved by their insurance carrier.

4. They have been turned down by their insurance carrier and are looking into self pay as an option.

5. They are banded and are asking questions about the journey they are on or are helping others with their journey or both. (most of us ).

6 They are bottom feeders looking to push a self pay to their Doctor so they can get some kind of payback say a free fill or couple hundred bucks ...

Now the group you are talking about the "then whats" are the folks that come by once a month or so and say very little. They are where you and I want to be (at goal).

At least thats how I see it.

Most folks that join a group like this are in a couple of catagories such as;

1. They are looking into weightloss surgery.

2. They have determined that a band is for them.

3. They are on their way to getting approved by their insurance carrier.

4. They have been turned down by their insurance carrier and are looking into self pay as an option.

5. They are banded and are asking questions about the journey they are on or are helping others with their journey or both. (most of us ).

6 They are bottom feeders looking to push a self pay to their Doctor so they can get some kind of payback say a free fill or couple hundred bucks ...

Now the group you are talking about the "then whats" are the folks that come by once a month or so and say very little. They are where you and I want to be (at goal).

At least thats how I see it.

Um, Matt not everyone at goal drops out of sight....uh em.....

I often wonder about this. When my dr first gave me my eating instructions of 1,000 calories each day and 50 grams of Protein she then immediately said "You won't have to eat like this forever, just until you get to your goal weight". The beauty of getting unfilled is that you have the band as a backup in case you need some restriction again.

I often wonder about this. When my dr first gave me my eating instructions of 1,000 calories each day and 50 grams of Protein she then immediately said "You won't have to eat like this forever, just until you get to your goal weight". The beauty of getting unfilled is that you have the band as a backup in case you need some restriction again.

So true. I have surpassed my goal and I eat normally. The only thing that has changed has been the quantity.

I did not diet. Diets have failed me so there was no sense in trying it again. That's why I got the band.

I have pop. I have ice cream, Cookies, Doritos, pizza, etc. Not everyday mind you...but from time to time.

But now I can control how much I eat. And, if I overeat the band is my backup.

This has been the smartest, best financial decision I have ever made in my life.