Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, this is my first time on here, I would like to know a little bit about how the surgery goes, If I may tell you all a little about my sitsuation first, I'm 39 years old and I have Diabetes, sleep apnea, High BP, and Major Depresstion, and a serious injury from work, my diabetes is out of control, I take shot's plus 3 different pills for it and can't get my blood suger under 250, I take 3 pill's for HBP, and take the largest dose there is for depresstion, I'm 6 ft 5 340lbs and worked hard all my life, but now I'm unable to work because of the injury to me on the job, My Dr. has told me he thinks I should have the Lap Band done, he told me a few weeks ago that he didn't think I'd be around much longer if I didn't, My problem is that I'm scared to death of going under the knife, I was told I have to stop smoking 8 weeks before they do the surgery, I don't think I can quit, I have to much on my mind to try to do a 100 things at once, does it really matter if I stop? Will they not do it if I continue to smoke? I have many questions but these or the one's I'll start with, I know these or most likely stupid question but any help would be nice. Thank You.

I can't answer your smoking question. Maybe someone else here has gone through that.

The Lap Band surgery is surgery, so there is some risk, but overall it's quite a safe surgery and you will be fine.

The question is: do you want this? Because unless you do, and are willing to really work at losing weight, the band may not be the answer. What are you willing to do to be healthier?

You said

I don't think I can quit, I have to much on my mind to try to do a 100 things at once,

Make a list of what you have to do and prioritize it. You might even divide it into three lists: absolute must-dos, really want tos, and would be nice tos.

Where does getting your health under control fall?

stopping smoking is to help your lungs for surgery. the better air amount you can get into your lungs the better you will do . it also helps with heeling. the % of oxygen you can get into you helps you heal faster. so i think it would be a good idea that you stop before surgery date. i know i had to do a lung test before my surgery date. and you could tell i was a smoker from the test . so yes it was hard ,but worth it .down 30 lbs in 7 months.slow but i just haven't found my perfect fill. my next one is good friday . im to the point i can't wait for friday to come .its like the next stage in your new life .