Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here w/ questions!

Hi all,

I just got all of my paper work submitted and am waiting for insurance approval (fingers crossed). I was more excited then nervous until I read about all of the complications on this board! I'm still willing to go ahead w/ this surgery because I need help to make this major lifestyle change, I've lost weight before and felt great. Now that I gained it all back, I don't want my picture taken, dread going to parties, can't participate in hiking w/ the rest of the family, etc. I want my life back! My main questions: do most people see a lot of complications? and I've had knee surgery and my gall bladder out in the past, and also an upper GI. Each time I awake from the anesthesia, I am nauseaus, have severe stomach pain and eventually start throwing up. Is there any "alternative" anesthesias that cause less nausea? With my knee surgey they doubled my anti-nausea medication which seemed to help, but is this ok to do with surgey involving the stomach? I had surgey before I had my daughter and had no problem with vomitting. Did pregnancy make my stomach more sensitive? (I got sick a lot.) I know you guys aren't all dr's, but your experience has really helped me out!

Thanks!!:thumbup: I feel better just being able to vent!! Only my husband knows about the surgery, my family and friends are to judgmental!

My main questions: do most people see a lot of complications?

I've had no complications and I'm 2.5 yrs out. I think the reason why you see so many complications on this board is because when people have complications they come here for support. People who were immediately successful with their band are, for the most part, all out there living their skinny lives. :shades_smile: Following the bandster guidelines that your doctor gives you will be important -- that will lower your risk of complications. But there is always some risk. Then again, being fat is a health risk itself.

I don't regret getting my band at all! :teeth_smile: I'm not thin yet, but even the weight I've lost has made a big difference so far, and I plan to hit my -100 mark this summer.

It's perfectly fine to keep this private. You can't "untell" once the cat's out of the bag. And really, it's nobody's business. :thumbup:

Best wishes on getting your insurance approval!

Talk to the surgeon about the previous problems you've had after anesthesia and let the anesthesiologist know before the procedure as well. They can prescribe anti-nausea meds for you.

any surgery has possible complications, you can help minimize some by following your Dr's instructions both pre-op and post op. Some complications are unavoidable no matter how careful you are. Many can be fixed ( like flipped ports) with a small revision procedure. Even a band slip can sometimes be corrected with an unfill of the band for a short time.

I haven;t even lost half of my excess weight yet and I feel so much better.