Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! I have to confess to shadowing on the site for the last few days since joining. Just trying to read and get a feel for the whole band thing. I have not been banded...yet...Tomorrow I am attending an orientation at a local hospital that has a 3 month plan, supported by my insurance that educates, councils and prepares people for either gastric or lap band surgery. I have spent the last year working with my doctor and listening to his every suggestion only to have gained weight. I am now topping the scales...for me...at 265. I have never in my life weighed this much. Im nervous and excited. But mostly excited that there are some people that might actually be able to help me. Anyone else from MA who want to share their stories with me I am totally excited and more than willing to listen and cheer on! :thumbup: Im hoping to be banded by the end of july beginning of august.

Hi Lenore:

Welcome to a fellow Bay Stater. I was banded last July and I have to say that it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. It's been relatively easy for me with few problems. However, recently I found out I have gall stones so I'll have to have my gall bladder removed soon. It's not an emergency at this point, so I'm trying to put it off until I can laze by the pool to recuperate. Fingers crossed.

As far as the lap band goes, it's a relatively easy surgery. I believe that exercise is a "must" if you want to succeed. I certainly couldn't have lost 114 pounds without walking my butt off.

Getting used to eating less is much easier once you have restriction. Until then it's more of an attitude adjustment to succeed prior to gaining restriction. You have to have your mind ready and act accordingly and then your body follows.

Any questions, feel free to throw them my way. Although I've only been banded since July I consider myself to be experienced at this point.

Welcome and best wishes for your success. By the way, I live in Norwood, and was banded last July at Caritas Norwood Hospital.

Sue

Thanks Sue and might I say 114! How awesome is that. In a year? I mean even now WITH exercise I couldnt hope to get near that! Trust me Ive tried! Im a big fan of Turbo Jam but I recently gained 15 MORE pounds (Im planning my wedding can you say stress!) and Im finding moving to be so difficult, never mind those forward push kick combos.

As for gall stones. I went into the doctor at one point with side pain...and he thought they were gall stones, which is the only reason he was considering the surgery for me in the first place, but he made me want to try a trillion other things first. Weve since discovered or I should say he decided that the pain isnt gall stones and Ive decided to look for weight loss help without him haha.

I hear that waiting for surgery thing till you can totally chill and take it easy. Please keep me posted on it. Maybe Ill even mail you a card :)

Im in the Western MA area. the weight clinic Im going through is at Mercy medical.:thumbup:

Hi, also from MA here. I have not been banded yet but have been on a high Protein very low carb diet since January. Lost over 20lbs so far. Good luck on your venture.

Hi, I'm a newcomer and I've been banded on November 28th,2007. Ive lost a total of 30 pounds. and sometimes i get depress because, I think it should go faster than whats its doing. and sometimes I want to eat bread why is that. somebody talk to me.:shades_smile:

thanks jaylow nice to meet someone in the same boat. i wish u the best as well. low carb, man i gotta say im dreading the low carb thing i love Pasta. roses I know what u mean about feeling like u should be losing more. I havent been banded yet but Ive tried other diets before that promise fast results and yet id crawl along. but u should totally be proud of your 30lbs. thats awesome!

Edited by lenore1890

I too am from Western Ma. I had my surgery done at Baystate. I've been doing very well with my weight loss. My biggest problem was I could not keep it off once I lost weight and then I would gain even more than I lost! But with the band I don't have to worry about that. It just won't let me eat the way I used too. Alot of it now is in my head. I have to remember that I can't eat a plate full of anything. I still crave foods I know I can't have, ie: bread, burgers, some meats. But I just remind myself how luck I am to be banded. Best of luck on your journey!