Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Can You Eat At...........

Carrabas

Outback Steakhouse

A Chinese Restaurant

Applebees

macaroni Grill

Red Robin

Ruby Tuesday

Wendy's

McDonalds

Chick F La

Panera's

Atlanta bread Company

Subway

Can you Eat pizza? NY Style

I'll speak as to Ruby Tuesdays

I am 7 weeks post op - had my first fill - and I went to Ruby Tuesday's over the weekend and this is what I had.

The salad bar (it's awesome)

and I ordered two mini cheeseburgers that came with fries

I ate my small salad and then ONE of the mini hamburgers (w/out the bun)

and a handfull of fries)--- so I fell okay about my choice - took plenty of leftovers home and didn't feel deprived. --- Just for the record - that meal was enough to satisfy me the rest of the day - I had a handful of granola later that evening - but that's it.

I ate at Outback for my Anniversary. I ordered the steak off of the kids menu and only ate 1/2 of it, so I had lunch for the next day. I also had a house salad, but I don't eat dressing so it didn't add much to my calorie intake. My husband and I usually order at the take-away counter and bring it home because it is less expensive and we don't have to order any drinks and my daughter has a history of vomitting whenever we go out (long story), so now we just bring it home and have leftovers the next day.

Subway usually has a Soup available.

I like the french dip at Arby's, I can't eat more than 1/2. If you go to their nutrition site 1/2 sandwich only has 205 calories and about 15g. of Protein.

Check out the nutrition on the restaraunts website, it might give you some good ideas. :biggrin::thumbup:

Carrabas Never been there

Outback Steakhouse Don't like it, the one time I've been since banding I had some kind of chicken that came with cornbread stuff.

A Chinese Restaurant I suually get hot & sour Soup, and/or General chicken depending on how hungry I am. Unless I'm at PF Chang's and then I'll get lettuce wraps.

Applebees Don't like Applebee's so I've only been once, had some kind of chicken with mashed potatoes and soup instead of salad.< /span>

macaroni Grill I usually get the Pasta rustica or whatever it's called

Red Robin Veggie burger

Ruby Tuesday Don't really go there too much, not sure I've been since surgery

Wendy's Baked potato

McDonalds Don't eat at McDonald's... no, a few times I've gotten the fruit n' Yogurt parfait when I was desperate for some food.< /span>

Chick F La Never heard of it

Panera's Soup usually. Once or twice I had some kind of chicken asiago sandwich.

Atlanta bread Company Never heard of it

Subway I get tuna salad put into a dish if I'm eating there, or one of the newer sandwiches that are like just part of a 6" in tuna and eat the bread or don't, depending on how the food is doing. Occasionally I get the seafood one.

Can you Eat pizza? NY Style All styles of pizza no problem so far.

Carrabas - Never heard of it

Outback Steakhouse - Soup, shrimp

A Chinese Restaurant- This is a waste to get own meal here for me, never been able to eat but a couple bites.. I get an eggdrop Soup and a couple bites of husband's entree meat.< /span>

Applebees- Smothered chicken is good, and left overs reheat well. SMALL bites.

Macaroni Grill - I don't like italian..

Red Robin- Only went once, last week.. any of the burgers off of the bun.. I went with the pork roast burger.

Ruby Tuesday - crab cake appetizer as a meal.. wonderful.. or salad bar

Wendy's- chili

McDonalds- nothing goes down for me at mc'ds

Chick F La- small order of chicken nuggets

Panera's- never heard of it

Atlanta bread Company - never eaten here

Subway - I get a subway club with lots of veggies on a wrap, and normally can only eat 1/2 of it.. or I just eat the insides out of all of it.

Can you Eat pizza? NY Style - No.

Funny you mentioned the french dip at Arby's.. that's all I get there now too. I can't eat the bread, but I pick off the meat & swiss and dip it in the au jus. Yum!

Edited by FairyFacade

Carrabas---------Never heard of this one.

Outback Steakhouse------DH and I share a ribeye...I order just a salad, then we share one meal.

A Chinese Restaurant-----------DH and I share here too!!! We have lots of things we order...I just don't eat much of the rice...one small spoon with the entree. We like the Mongolian Beef, or a triple Mongolian with chicken, beef and shrimp. We like the Garlic chicken, Almond Chicken, we will often have an order of crab rangoon as an appetizer---one is my limit!

Applebees-------Yep we share!!! Lately if we meet for lunch we do one of the triple play appetizers and call it lunch---I also share with my granddaughter here. Or do a Soup and salad.< /strong>

macaroni Grill--------Have not been, we don't have one locally, and there are too many better options when out of town!

Red Robin--------Have not been.

Ruby Tuesday-------Salad bar.....or an appetizer plate that I can share, then I just eat off of DH's plate!!!

Wendy's-----Wendy's chili was one of my first real foods following banding, I still eat it!

McDonalds----I don't care for McD's, but with the granddaughter end up there on occasion. I usually get something cheap off of their $$ menu and ditch the bun, like the double cheeseburger---and I eat about 1/4 of the meat. Or the spicy chicken and eat about 1/2 the patty, no bread.< /strong>

Chick F La-----Chicken tenders go down anywhere---including here!

Panera's--------never heard of it.

Atlanta Bread Company-----never heard of it.

Subway----My favorite is the bacon, grilled chicken ranch one....I just have them leave it open, and toast it, but I don't usually eat the bread---I like the grilled chicken with everything though. I have also eaten their salad....and the tuna salad.

Can you Eat pizza? NY Style--------I can eat pizza---just not much of it, and I must eat it slowly. Thin crust I can do quite easily. Thicker pan crusts, I am more cautious with, and often cannot make it to the end---so the amount of crust is seriously diminished!!

As I said earlier, chicken tenders go down easily wherever----and not all of them are horrid!!! Some are nice chicken breast. I order off the childrens menu at Chilis and have them with loaded mashed potatoes or grilled veggies. It is still too much food.

Also the fish dinners at a lot of places goes down really easy! I love Red Lobster for the options available to me! But the fish is usually a good option!

The hardest places for me to find something to eat---are Italian restaurants, I ALWAYS share there, because I can only eat a small amount of Pasta. I just get full way fast with it!

Easiest is Mexican food---any of it, all of it goes down fine!

Eating out is not a big deal though, I have never went somewhere that I could not find something!

Kat

*Whenever you are at a rest. you can ALWASY ask them to not use oils or butter, you can ALWASY ask them what thei fat free or low fat dressing is- and you can always ask for items on the side: toppings, dressings, chesse, etc. I am a server at Outback steakhouse*

Carrabas: one of my favorites- not too many healthy choices on here- they usually have a fish of the day which is fresh and they ahve steak too- try and stay away from cheesy pastas- the taglerini picci pachui (Pasta with tom sauce) and shrimp is my favorite- and its a huge portion so you will have left overs for many days!

Outback Steakhouse: Tangy Tomato dressing is fat free and SO GOOD! Filet/chicken/sirlion/grilled shrimp/ahi tuna/steak salad or ahi tuna salad (ask or dressing on the side) crab cakes, steamed veggies (WITH NO BUTTER!) sweet pot. (toppings on side) Also- you can order steak or chicken off the

kids menu- stay away from aussie chips or loaded baked pot -

A Chinese Restaurant: Another one of those places not to indulge in too often- not too healthy- stay away from the fried items- the rice noodles with veggies and steamed chicken is good- just try to stay away from fried items!

Applebees

macaroni Grill- be VERY careful with the items here!

Red Robin

Ruby Tuesday- salad bar with O&V or grilled chicken

Wendy's STAY AWAY FROM FAST FOOD!

McDonalds NOTHING! *try and stear away from Mcdonalds, even their

"healthy items" arent healthy at all

Chick F La NOTHING!- same as above- even though I LOVE IT :), even though they have grilled items they still arent the best options.

Panera's: I love paneras Bagels, just remember that the band is there to control our portions so we cant eat that much- in turn each thing you put into your mouth should have some sort of nurtional value- but there is nothing wrong with a 1/2 or 1/4 cinnamon crunch bagel with cream cheese once in a while!!!

Atlanta bread Company: they have many good sandwhiches try to select the whole grain bread, stay away from mayo -and do not eat the whole sandwhich!

Subway they have kids sandwhiches now which are even smaller- i always opt for the veggie sub from subway- their wheat and white bread does not differ much nutriotionally...be care on Condiments (mayo and sauces as they are high in fat) *a lot of people have trouble with Gummy bread- like subways :biggrin:( they do have salads there however

Can you Eat pizza? NY Style--- you can eat anything think you can tolerate with the band- anything in moderation- dont go eating greasy pizza every night- or every week..but once in a while... i doubt one piece (as that is what will fill you up) is going to hurt

use your judgement- and like i said about the pizza- dont deprive yourself of things. choose low fat low sugar when you can. pick WHOLE grains when you can...but sometimes we need a little something bad for us :thumbup:

going back and reading other peoples responses ive noticed that some people arent making all healthy choices- i have deicded with this band to change my way of eating- i dont want to eat junk anymore-so take my suggestions however you like! good luck!

Personally I fully realize my dining choices are not always the most healthy. It is a choice I make with my eyes wide open!

For the most part, when eating at home, I attempt to make wise choices. I understand I only have a very small space to fill, and try to fill it with the most nutrient dense foods I can.

But at the same time, I choose to live today the way I hope to live the remainder of my life. I mentioned eating out with my granddaughter--she is 3 now, and loves to go out, and share with Granny! When I am old and gray, and she is young and beginning her own family, she is not going to remember us staying at home everyday dining healthy---but the laughs we share at sharing food, she will remember those! I know I can and do make other memories with her-but I opt not to eliminate these fun times in the name of diet. I don't want to exchange my today's with them for maybe tomorrows.

I truly have changed the way I eat! I eat much healthier much more of the time, and eat so much less it would look silly to put a percentage or fraction to it!

When I was banded, my health was not optimal! I had high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high cholesterol--hell the only thing not high was my spirit!

Now, ALL of my blood work comes back in normal ranges, I do not take a single prescription medication, and I feel wonderful! I am able to exercise, and play with the grandkids, and enjoy it!

I fit in movie theater seats, and amusement park rides! But....when there, I do choose to have some popcorn, and maybe even some cotton candy.< /strong>

I don't recommend my diet to anyone! Your way is without a single solitary doubt the wisest! I just know myself quite well after all these years, and this is working for me! I do not deprive myself, and I am happy with just a bite or 2!

I admire those of you who can adhere to such healthy eating plans! I don't fool myself into thinking I can do that though---through all of my years of dieting, I always binged when I felt deprived!!! I didn't get to 289 pounds with willpower!!! LOL!!!

I wish you the best of luck---and for those of you beginning if you can do as Crosby suggests and avoid the unhealthy food---then by all means DO IT!!! You will likely arrive at my age, much healthier, and looking better for it!

Kat

ChickFilA isn't that unhealthy, they cook in peanut oil, and the calorie count based off of what a restricted bandster can eat is not horrible. Unless you use a LOT of dipping sauce, those things are pure sugar.

And chicken is touch and go for me, but anytime I've had to do McD's in a jam, I try to get something chicken. Not a single piece of anything McD chicken will go down. I don't know why! And I can't talk myself into eating the nasty beef patties without the bread to hide it lol. I use to love McD burgers.. mmm bigmac! Double cheeseburger! Haven't had one since.. March 07.. a whole year!! EEK!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I ocassionaly go out to eat and the places I listed are usually where my family likes to go, so I just wanted to be prepared. I have not had my first fill yet, but I am in my creamy/mushie stage.

I always try to pick the healthy part of the menu, but sometimes you have no choice, so you try to pick what at least you like and hope for the best.

Carraba's - chicken Bryan Yummy!

nana- Early on, when I was counting calories & getting ideas of the 'hidden' calories.. and Lord knows they're everywhere.. I would go to Weight Loss Programs - Nutrition Facts - Fast Foods and Restaurants - DietFacts.com or go to the restaurant's website, and get an idea of calorie counts in meals before going there. That way I knew.. if I get X, I should only eat 1/2 of it, or if I get XX, I can eat all of it, and stay within my daily caloric count, etc.

Or, whatever you decide to count.. carbs, Protein, etc.

In general, a lot of places have either rare tuna on a salad or some kind of ceviche (mexican and japanese places have this)

Ceviche is an appetizer, so I usually get a miso Soup and then get a double portion of it for an entee.

McDonalds-a 4 piece chicken mcnugget happy meal with small fries (400 calories)

Panera's I usually get a combo with a small caesar salad and a soup and I drink an iced tea with lemon and equal before I eat

Subway I order one of those under 6 grams of fat sandwiches but dont eat most of the bread, plus low fat chips

Can you Eat pizza? NY Style Ive been eating lean cuisine thin crust pizzas, they are surprisingly good!

Kat,

You go girl! I totally subscribe to your eating theories. I have never met a "thin/normal" person who ate healthy all the time. Why should we? Just my opinion.

Robin